Getting to Know You - October 7

Ann

Are you superstitious? If so, what things are you superstitious about? Do you think twice before walking under a ladder? Would breaking a mirror make you worry about bad luck?

Ok I will admit to being superstitious, but only when it comes to sports. I have been playing some kind of sport my whole life. when I play hockey I put my equipment on the same way every game. If I play really well and we win I will wear the same T shirt for the next game. so only with sports. I won't go into how elabrate it gets when Notre Dame is playing LOL.

in my everyday life, the real world, it is all about God and his guidance.

Debbie

Husband Alan DX with small cell lung cancer Jan 10th 2005

Like Deb, I have to admit that I am superstitious. I know it's silly but there are some things I would rather do a certain way and not press my luck. I don't freak when a black cat crosses my path but I do always think about it when it happens. I will go a few steps out of my way to avoid walking under a ladder. Hey, I guess that one was started by some poor soul that walked under a ladder and had it fall on him. I don't actually remember too many superstitions, although growing up in the south I always heard my family talk about them. Oh, I remember my grandmother used to be very firm about not telling a dream before breakfast or it would come true.

Ann driving across where a black cat just crossed and i saw it make's me nervous for maybe a minute and i have been known to stop and back up over it's path and then drive on. Sound's stupid when you realize that Black cat has probaly crossed that street a hundred time's and the one time you see it you re-act.....

Yes...Friday the 13th has always been a biggie for me, too. Does the theory of strange things happening during a full moon qualify as superstition? Around my office a combination of Friday the 13th and a full moon combined can be lethal!!! ALso...think of how many buildings don't have 13th floors...jump from 12 to 14

I have this wierd supersticion that the brand GUESS brings me good luck. WHen I was in 8th grade, I wanted a GUESS shirt, but it was $44 and my mom did not want to spend it. I begged and I still have that shirt to this day. Now I can;t fit into their clothing any longer, but I do have a mens denim GUESS shirt that I wear for all important occasions.

I wore it for ALL finals in law school, bar exam, etc. Before the bar my mom went into GUESS and explained that she needed GUESS jewerly and my dad needed GUESS socks to wear while I took the bar!!!!

After my mom was diagnosed with cancer we kept our big Feb wedding that was planned, but got married right away in a small private ceremony, with me wearing the same GUESS denim shirt I always do, and Brian wearing a matching one I had :)

NOw for every test or dr apt, I put on my GUESS pinky ring.

Maybe one day I will be able to fit into GUESS jeans :oops:

When strange patterns begin to develop I get my own superstitions.

For example, right before I had my main wedding shower, my grandfather died. Right before my first baby shower, DH's Step FIL had a major medical emergency, and my Aunt Sue died. I decided that showers were a bad idea for me to have. So for a later shower I was given I insisted that it be a Baby BLESSING and not a Shower.

I don't give in to the superstitions. The only reason that I don't walk under ladders is because there is a chance that something could fall on me ... paint can or hammer. One thing I get really ticked off at is all the emails that people send me saying that if I don't send it on to 10 people I will have bad luck... even when it is some really nice or positive message. I try to warn people that I don't follow through on chain letters of any kind. I just can't bring myself to give into those things. Grrrrrrr!

I am not supersticious but my hubby IS. Being a high school soccer coach has made him even more so, to the point that I am not allowed to go to the quarterfinal matches (if they make it that far)because the 4 that I have been to they have lost and the 2 I missed they won and went on to the state finals.

His team last year was the same way, they were very sucessful at the end of the season and as they went into the playoffs they had certain things they insisted upon doing and they would not wear the special shirts that were made for them etc. I laughed but then got in trouble so I kept my mouth shut :wink:

I guess I am. I try not to walk under a ladder, If I spill salt, I will shake it over my left shoulder. I am not thrilled about breaking a mirrow, but I do not believe in the 7 year thing.

I always try to wear the same Eagles jersey on game day. So far that is working.

Maryanne

• 2 weeks later...