The new normal life

elkiesmom

I wrote on another message board about Gary's chemo being over and how we can lead a normal life for two months and she posted how we all most feel.I don't think she will mind if I quote her.

"Gosh, there are so many people living the exact same lives - never thought too much about it until now. We are now living from test to test too. After one test, I relax and don't think about it again (negatively) until time for the next one."

I do believe we all can put more love and fun between these dreaded tests then we have ever done before. We all can live in the present and not worry about the future.

Garys first pet and CT scan will be March 7th but I will worry about that on the 6th.

BTW Gry's hair has started to grow. He has baby fuzz

Lorrie

I'm still on chemo - but have the same problem. Each test starts a new cycle of worry. Fortunately my chemo has not been difficult to handle, except fo the blood counts.

I try to not think about the results, or the tests until I'm with the doctor. By keeping busy (even if only reading or watching tv) I can usually keep my thoughts on other things. Nights are when it haunts me.

But I pray for good results and/or the strength I need to deal.

Best wishes.

Mary

Hder ecomes the trouble maker. RSW1124. Just came from Debs viewing. Lesson For today. Every thing has a meaning. Winnd Blowinnng is someone usinng their NEW LUNGS to tell you they are OK today and see what I can do.

New thought SAW this in walmart while waitinnng for photos. Live for today, Remember yesterday and pray for tomorrow. Will say aprayer for you all Thanks, good luck withthe chemo. Think positive. Deb was supposed to start Alimta Avastin Monday 1/23.

Much Love and Joy to all.

I have come to say that Alan and I live life in 12 week intervals as that is how often he has scans. :roll: 1st comes the Chest CT on his lungs, get results then 12 weeks later and MRI on his brain. We relax and fall into our "normal" life right up until Scan day then the week after is stress as we wait for the results. Its not the best way to live life, but we are making it work. :)

I don't think much about it until I am waiting in the exam room for the oncologist come in with the report and when I am actually reading the report. In the meantime, I enjoy my retirement. Good luck with Gary's scans.

My next scan is next month next time. I guess I should check my appointment card to see what day it is exactly... ok, I will. Hmmm... it is Feb 23. So I guess I have been thinking about it today. OK, no more thinking about it until report reading day for me. Really.

Don M

Totally understand your feeling that way, but the routine will start to feel better once you're into it for a while.

It's great that chemo is done, that's a huge thing out of the way for now.....

Are you on the 3 month interval plan for now? That was rough for me, I felt like I started to worry about the next appointment while driving home from the current one.....and I did that for two years.

I go once a year now, and at least I don't have that anxiety building up every three months anymore. I would get so upset I couldn't work for about 10 days prior to my appointment. Probably the same thing will happen when my time comes on June 1, but at least it's not every three months anymore.

I think that the good people here on the board are right about that 'new normal'.. Once we get used to the fact that our normal is to be watched very closely by our medical people, we can get more comfortable with it. If we struggle and fight for the way things used to be, we'll never feel right again.....

Take care and good luck,

Cindy

It's not just the test anxiety, it's all the little things in between...a cough that might be more than a cough, an ongoing lethargy that could be more, maybe a bit of confusion - something else?

I have test anxiety, too, but what I worry about in between tests are all the "symptoms"...

Wow evryone feels just about the same way Gary and I do. Today we both feel like the old us HAPPY. Gary went to work in such a great mood (maybe because the side effects of his Chemo is gone). And I just woke up happy. That hasn't happened in a long time. It really feels great.I must remember this feeling.Gee even the dogs seem different.

Prayers and love to all

Lorrie

Yes today is a happy day at my house too. Went to bed drunk after debs funeral and awoke feeling great this morning. Definitely something in the air. :wink: