Update on my FIL-UPDATED UPDATE!!

Darci

Thanks everyone for your concern. He went in for the IV fluids on Monday! I talked to him on Monday night and he was like a new man - said he felt good but that he didn't think he felt bad before - but I could totally hear the change in his demeanor. He was lighthearted, he even started giggling when he slipped up and told me that when he went to the dr his "oil pressure was a little low". Before, he just sounded like someone who felt crummy, and you could hear it in his voice.

Now they are talking about how he can go in and get the fluids if he needs them again.

I am so happy that we pushed him to do it!

LATEST UPDATE - my SIL spoke with my MIL this morning and now she is saying that he is not drinking and there is nothing she can do about it. I don't know if he feels that since he can go in and get the IV now that it means he doesn't have to try to push the drinking anymore?

I am so worried about my MIL, because I think he is being hard on her. She told my SIL that she just had to get out of the house, and she was going to lunch with the girls. Which is terrific, I am sure she needs a break, but I am worried about how he is treating her.

He has made it through the surgery, chemo and radiation - guess now we just wait and hope and pray that he stays clear!

Fluids are so important!!

We had a hard time with my mom and her fluid intake when she was on Taxol/Carbo. She got SO weak after her 1st session that she couldnt sit up, couldnt eat etc. It was all because she was so dehydrated. Finally she was taken in and given fluids by IV. A HUGE improvement. Since she was never a big drinker of water, she had to continue to get the IVs after each treatment

Not only do the fluids help you feel better, but they help the effectiveness of the chemo I hear. It helps the chemo pass thru the body, getting to where it needs to go, and gets it out of the system after its done its work. Anyone else ever been told this?

I wish your FIL all the best

I hope things continue to progress for your FIL. Fluids are a big deal. Hopefully he can get that through his noggin. I'm also glad your MIL gives herself "downtime" and that she has some pals to decompress with. That is just so important!

Continue to keep us posted!

:) Kelly

Glad the fluids did the trick. Your FIL should not depend upon them, and should drink fluids at home. I would be worried that, if he is not willing to put forth the effort to keep enough fluids, is he willing to fight this disease? So essential in attitude. Don

Don...unfortunately, you have hit my fear right on the head. He has gone through the motions and done what they have wanted him to do - but I don't know if he has let it sink in that he is fighting cancer, and fighting for his life.

He just wants to go back to his normal life and do things as he used to do, and he is very unhappy that he is not there.

I am not sure what we can do about that.

So glad to hear that the fluids made your FIL feel better. I hope he will try and push fluids, now that he knows how much better his body feels when it is hydrated.

I understand how your fil feels.I havent worked since Nov and its quite boring sitting around the house and going nowhere except to drs for treatments.we need some normalcy back in our lives.

But he does have to fight and drink his fluids,this is not an easy fight.

hope your mil continues to get away for a bit.

marie

Darci--

Tell your MIL she can get fluids in him with his food. For example, rice, pasta, fruits all contain a lot of water. When he drinks, what does he like to drink? Does he have coffee in the morning? All those things count. Now it would be real nice if he'd be a good boy and drink his water, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. :wink:

Good luck!

Darci: I am glad you fil is feeling better. I agree with Don Wood that he has to keep drinking and that his not drinking may be indicative of a not so good attitude. Try giving him a peptalk some time. I think you have to have the heart of a warrior to fight this disease.

Don M

Hi Darci,

I am so glad your FIL is doing better. But that won't last if he does not drink. I hope that changes.

I hope your MIL gets a well needed time out. I feel sorry for her. She is trying to help but he won't listen. That has to be so frustrating. Again, I hope he changes his attutude.

Good luck there. I am really glad that he is feeling better.

Maryanne :wink: