Sister has Stage IV NSCLC

Hi everyone. I'm new to this. My 38 year old sister was just diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. We just discovered that she has blood clots all in her chest and arms. I can't seem to get any answers from her doctor because she doesn't want to know anything about it so therefore the doctor won't tell me anything. Are blood clots in the chest pretty common with lung cancer? Does this mean that the cancer has spread? She had a brain scan and it came back neg. I think they are going to do a bone scan soon but she's too weak right now. Any answers will be so appreciated. My prayers are with all of you and your families.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I glad you found us.

Stage IV indicates spread. Blood clots are VERY COMMON with lung cancer.

I'm sorry she doesn't want to know things, because people can and have lived very full and normal lifes with lung cancer diagnosis. I was stage IIIB and I'm still here 10+ years later and doing just FINE!

Please talk to you sister and tell her she needs to fight this, because it CAN BE BEAT!

You'll find a lot of helpful information and support here at LCSC. I hope you'll stay with us.

I'm so sorry to hear that your sister has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Welcome to this forum, it is a wonderful resource for information, support, love and encouragement. I can understand that your sister is not wanting to hear all the details of the disease at this time and I really don't think it's as necessary right now for her to know all the in's and out's as it is to get started with a treatment plan. Once that's in place, she might be a little less overwhelmed and ready for more information. In the meantime you can get the information that you need by continuing to come here.

God Bless,

Lynda

Thank you so much Connie. Congratulations on 10+!!! That is so good to know. She's having a bronchoscopy today and they will more than likely put her on a ventilator. She's been in ICU in Louisville, KY for one week today. I believe they'll keep her there until her radiation is complete about 2 weeks from now. They've had to skip 2 days because her BP dropped to 55/20 two days ago. It's going up slowly but her heart rate's been 120's to 140's. Her O2 level seems to be good but they are giving her a lot of O2. She hasn't been strong enough to walk since about mid February. I'm very scared for her, her children and my mother. She's my only sibling and her 17 yr old son lives with me. I don't know what to tell him when he asks how she's doing. I just sometimes want to shout "SHE'S DYING DAMNIT!" I am just so scared. I have a 16 yr old daughter and a husband 30 miles north of the hospital and she and my nephew need to go to school and go on living. I have a full time job as an office manager and I have a lot of responsibilities at work but I feel so guilty for not being at the hospital 27/7. 3 of my cousins and a couple of my mother's sisters and my grandmother have been there since she was admitted. I can only go see her every 2 days or so. Should I be there more often? I feel so helpless when I'm there.

Being with her at the hospital all the time, is that going to make her better or is that just going to make you feel better knowing your there? Is she in good hands at the hospital? Does she have others that visit her? You can't do all things at the same time. It's a hard place to be in, but you still have to look at what you may NEED/HAVE to do, rather then what you want to do.

As long as the time spent with your sister is loving and caring on both your parts, then that's what really matters.

Are they sure your sister has lung cancer OR could it be another kind of cancer that has spread to the lung? Just wondering. There are different types of lung cancer, and I would think if you asked her medical team they would know what type she has and would share that with you.

Your hands are full and even you have to step back and look at the overall picture of what needs to be dealt with first. Take a step back and take baby steps when moving forward. I know what your going through because I did the same thing when my sister was dying.

Stay with us, we'll walk the walk with you the best we can.

Hugs,

Connie

Welcome. Your sister sounds very sick and very overwhelmed. Just being in intensivecare is plenty and you say they may vent her, she's dropping her BP. Wow. As Connie says making blood clots and having lung cancer is fairly common. The cancer messes up the clotting mechanism. Usually we need to be on Heparin if this happens and eventually at home there are Low molecular weight heparin shots you inject in your belly like insulin that prevent a reoccurance while your in the fight with the cancer. Keep us posted. Donna G

Lesley -

I am so sorry that your sister and family have to go through this. Even though she doesn't want to know, is someone acting as her advocate with the doctors (i.e. getting the candid assessment, making decisions with her, etc)? A lot of people when first diagnosed do not want to know, but perhaps you can make sure that you or your mom are on the HIPPA forms so that you may know exactly what is going on.

As Connie said, satgeIV does mean that it has spread - but there are many people on this board who are doing well with a stageIV diagnosis.

You need to take care of yourself and your family first -- being a caregiver is very, very hard. I would encourage you to be with her, write her, call her, etc as much as you can for your sake and her's -- praying that she will recover from all of this weakness, get additional treatment and have many good days ahead.

Holly

I am so sorry to hear about your sister and the agony that you are all going through. You have been give some very sound advice here by Connie and others on this board. Please know that all of the advice that you are given here comes from caring and concerned hearts. My prayers will be with you and your sister and family.

Prayers

Lesley,

My husband's cancer was found when he went to the doctor short of breath. He had blood clots in his lungs and legs and was hospitalized for about 12 days. He is still here living and loving. Praying for your sister to make great improvement soon. Take care.

My heart goes out to each and every one of you. Such a very very hard situation. I guess you have to do whatever it is you feel you have to do, given the circumstances at the time. I guess it must be kind of hard to know exactly what the circumstances are if you can't have all of the info about your sister though. Hopefully, things will change and make it a little easier to figure out what to do and above all try to be hopeful. Prayers for you all, Patty

Thank you all so much for your responses and support and prayers. It means so much to myself and my family. They are taking her to radiation today but are taking a huge risk in moving her. One task at a time, one day at a time! It's pretty much trial and error right now but they've got to start treating this tumor. The cancer is the reason behind everything else. I'll know more this afternoon so I'll post it and let everyone know. Thanks again for all of your prayers. (My sister's name is Tina in case you want to pray for her by name.) Thanks a bunch and hugs and prayers for all of you!!!

I am so sorry that your sister is going through this - 38 is so young - but hopefully her young age will help her to fight this. As so many others have said, there are lots of people here who have been diagnosed with stage IV and with treatments have been doing well.

I will keep Tina in my prayers!!

Just remember that you can't do everything - do your best to help and love your sister and see her through this, and know that you are doing your best!

Leslie,

I'm so sorry to hear such sad news. Your sister is so young, but her youth can work in her favor in fighting this terrible disease. There are lots the doctors can do today, including clinical trials. Try explaining to your sister that this is not a death sentence and that her attitude will help or hurt her. There are many cases of stage IV patients living a long long time. It is important for her not to give up.

Wishing you both the best and hope we can help you in your fight.

Joan