On my mind

Roger C

I was thinking today that I start chemo & rads Wednesday. I feel pretty good. No pain and functioning like normal. I know that this cancer is doing it's thing in my body.

I have heard & read about all the side effects I will encounter.

So I am thinking I have to get sick to get better.

Is this basically it ?

Hi Roger, I can't speak for (never had it) radiation but I have been under going chemo for the last 39 months, other then fatigue have had few side effects and have had very good results. Everyone is different, reacts differently. They have also come a long way with chemo and medications to offset any side effects. Hope this helps. Rich

PS: Also here is a good site for tips about chemo if you have not already seen it.

http://www.chemocare.com (cemocare)

Roger that is exactly what I thought before I started my treatment. I was scared, but I had my mind made up that I was going to do what I had to do to get well. The chemo was not that bad. My hair did not come out until I had chemo after surgery, which was a much stronger dose. The radiation was not bad. The radiologist gave me some medicine to take that kept me from having problems swallowing food. I was told to drink lots of water and I did. Never went anywhere without a bottle of water. Everything worked out well for me and I am sure it will for you also. I will keep you in my prayers.

How you feel and what side effects you have is not really related to the effectiveness of the treatment. They are both unique to the person, but independent. Lucie has had hard times and good times with effective treatments. Also, you may feel good at the beginning but these things are cumulative and you may not feel as good later (but then again, you may)j. Hang in there. Don

Hi Roger, I had chemo but not lung radiation, just brain radiation. There are alot of drugs out there to combat side effects. My first one didn't work, but the second one did (Zofran). I also got dehydrated from the chemo and once that was squared away (IV fluids with each chemo) then I really didn't had a problem.

I kept water and ginger cookies with me at all times (helps with the nausea). Everyone reacts differently but just be sure to speak up and let the docs know how you are feeling. Best of luck to you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Nancy B

Deb went through alll the Chemo Regiments except forAlimt Avastin Combo. Painted the inside of the house while On radiation Maximum curative dosage. Had that much energy. Chemo wiped her out though. Good Luck and keep us posted if you need any info.

NO that is NOT the case. I did my chemo and radiation at the same time and I have very few side effects. Nothing I couldn't live with. Everyone is different. You would be shocked to know that many many many many many many people don't get major side effects from there treatments. They have come a long ways with Anti-nasuea drugs. So, walk into your treatments with a POSITIVE attitude and you might be very pleased with the out come. :wink:

Roger,

I only had radiation. I had the problem swallowing about halfway through that got worse after the nuking stopped and then got better - slowly. My longer lasting side effect was radiation - the cure? When I was tired in the afternoons, I took a nap! Wish I could do that now....

Good luck to you!

Becky

Geez, Roger.

I can't believe how fortunate you are to meet up with all of these good folks who have walked the walk you are undertaking right now.

Anything that comes up for you there will be someone here who has had the same experience and can offer some advice or support of some kind.

You are among friends and you are definitely NOT alone!

Today is the first day we can start to say "Bye-Bye" to those little cancer cell buggers.. bye bye! adios! toodle ooo! seeya later!

Onward, dear man!

Cindi o'h

Hi Roger,

Like everyone has said, this is an individual thing and everyone reacts differently.

I also agree with Don, when he says that chemo is cumulative and although what you exerience with chemo initially may not always be the case with each chemo following.

My husband has had so many different chemos spanning 3 years. It wasn't until recently that he really started feeling poorly following treatment. He usually received them on Friday so he could rest the and get through the nausea and exhaustion. By Monday he was usually much better and was able to continue to work full time. He wll works full time, but it is much harder now. A few times he's had to miss Monday and it take much more effort throughout the week. But thats been after 3 years. The first few years he was barely affected by chemo and radiation. He had both simultaneously and really did not feel sick at all.

I pray that you tolerate treatment well and can fight this beast aggressively.

Roger, I am ne where so am just getting to reading some of the posts. I hope that all went well for you yesterday as you started your treatments. Remember to keep a positive attitude. That sounds so cliche' but it really does help. :)

Melanie

I was thinking today that I start chemo & rads Wednesday. I feel pretty good. No pain and functioning like normal. I know that this cancer is doing it's thing in my body.

I have heard & read about all the side effects I will encounter.

So I am thinking I have to get sick to get better.

Is this basically it ?