Getting to Know You - May 16

Ann

When was the last time you performed a RAK (Random Act of Kindness)for someone other than a family member? Who was the person and what did you do?

We were at a Cub Scout Pack meeting. A little girl (still in diapers and couldn't talk yet) was standing on a chair all by herself while everybody at the table was on the stage, getting awards. I got a bit concerned when I saw her feet slipping on the chair. So I got up and went over to her and sat down next to her. She wanted her Mommy, but Mommy was on the stage with her older brother, who was receiving an award. I picked up the little girl (Thank goodness she didn't start screaming!) and carried her around so she wasn't alone on the slippery chair.

Mom came off the stage and saw me holding her daughter and I explained that I was scared she was going to fall. I went back to my seat and felt pretty good - I would have hated if that little girl would have fallen and hurt herself.

Pam in FL

I really try when driving to allow cars coming out of parking lots to get in line in front of me. Random act of kindness.

BUT - if I have been in line forever to get off the turnpike and a car comes zooming up in the outside lane and tries to get in front of me, I am like white on rice on the guy in front of me. Random act of nonkindness.

While grocery shopping over the weekend, I noticed an elderly man that seemed to be having a really hard time finding items that were on his list. I finally asked if I could help him. He explained his wife usually does the shopping but she is very ill and he has been shopping for the two of them. I was in no big hurry, so I went through the store with him, helping him find everything on his list. It turned out that in addition to being completely "lost" in the grocery store, he has a hard time seeing well enough to read the labels. I really wish I had given him my number so I could help him with this again. It really made me feel good to help a stranger. It also made me realize that I don't do this nearly enough.

Wow! You guys have done some great things for others. Ann, that was an especially kind and thoughtful thing to do.

I haven't done anything great and wonderful for anybody lately except offer to help a couple of the ladies at our new office who were working late. It was kind because I know absolutely nothing about their jobs and stay late every single night myself trying to get my own work done! They didn't take me up on the offers, but I would have definitely helped them if they wanted me to!

Love,

Peggy

Earlier this week I drove into the parking garage. There was a toddler in a dirty diaper all by himself screaming his bloody head off. Noone around. I don't know how he got down there!

I stopped. I couldn't walk over to him to pick him up and he doesn't speak English, but I motioned to him to come and he finally did.

I set him on my lap and let him "drive" my car to my parking stall. He stopped crying.

I put him on the seat of my wheelie walker and drove him upstairs where I dropped him off with the apt. management.

Gotta take care of the kids. No matter what.

Cindi o'h

I think these posts just go to show that we have a pretty great team here on this board. Although each of us is fighting their own personal battle, in one form or another, we still are able to stop and help someone else in need. That's very special. Helping others can really make us feel good and realize how very lucky we are. You know, some day someone will "pay it forward" and help those that have been kind to others. I'm very proud to know you guys!!!

:D I let an older man get in line in front of me at the super market the other day as he had only one item - roses wrapped in paper.

Turns out the roses were for his fiance who he is marrying next week. He is 81 years old.

He was proud to tell me his story and it made me happy to listen.

Is that cool or what!

In memory of Timmy P - 9/15/38-12/19/04

I think being in a position that requires some a little help from others inspires us to offer more help to others. I know with the issues my parents have been helping we have really been helped by the kindness of our their neighbors. There is an elderly couple that live up the street from us that we haven't really gotten to know as they mostly stay in their house. Last week as I drove by I saw the paramedics had been called as the wife had fallen in the driveway. (She was OK, they just helped her up and left.) A bit later in the day I went up to check to make sure she was OK. I told them that my parents are about their age and are having problems in their 'golden years' and that we rely heavily on their neighbors who are always helping out. I told them I wanted to extend the favor so I left my phone # and told them they could call me ANYTIME they needed ANYTHING. I also stopped by on my way to the store one night to see if they needed anything but they declined the offer. They will be moving in with their son soon.

Karen

I think the last time was when I took up a collection at work for a co worker.His 2 yr old fell down a flight of stairs and was flown to the hospital by helicopter.They thought she damaged her kidney.It was also her Birthday.

No one had ever taken up a collection at my job for anything and I said its about time we did.She was in the hospital a week.

He almost cried when I gave him the card with over $400.00 in it.Plus I bought her a care bear for her birthday.