Kind of worried..

Has anyone ever heard of a tumor growing out? My mom has a knot on the side of her head that has been there for 5 days. You can feel it. The Dr. felt it today and said it could be tumor. Now, this is the Dr. at the nursing home and so I am not relying on what he said. I have already called mom's neurosurgeon and I will talk with him tomorrow (hopefully). I am just curious if a knot can be a tumor...anyone know? If not, what else could it be? Mom has had headaches lately, but the nursing home acts like it is illegal for my mom to have Claritin (I have asked if she is on it 3 times and the answer everytime is no), so it could be sinus pressure. But, this knot has me worried. The Dr. described it like a lymph node bc it's edges are hard.

Lori,

unfortunately there are some tumors that can grow out, my only experience was with my dad, and he had tumors on his back which you could see, but I don't know about your mom, and especially where she is now, she could of done something days ago, and since she is ill, it just may take longer to heal...so I'm thinking of nothing but a positive outcome for your mom. And I also understand your frustration with the nursing home, and their staff and drs., but please if you have any problems with her stay there you definitely want to talk to the director of social services, and the director/administrator and let them know of your concerns.

Take care of yourself, Lori.

Grace

Oh man. I am so sorry to hear this. I have little experience with this. I do know that my cousin had a brain tumor, and it did grow a huge knot on the side of his head. That does NOT mean that is what this is...it just means that that is my only experience. I will say a prayer for your mom...and for you too!...

Dear God please bless this family with peace, strength, and renewed health. May you guide them through challenges, hold their hands during fear and excitement, and always let them know you are there.

Glad you are gonna' talk with the neurosurgeon, Lori. I have no clue -- my first thought when I read this was to ask if the knot is in the general area of where she bumped her head recently when SF and family went for an outing and there were troubles getting in/out of the vehicle? (did I remember this right?).

Keep us posted.

Hugs,

Linda

Hi Lori,

Yes, tumors can grow out. Keith has a lymph node on his neck, right under his right collarbone where the shoulder starts to curve up to the neck, that is growing out.

It was actually one of the symptoms that first made him seek medical attention that led to his diagnosis. It is a large lump under his skin that is obviously visible, it is hard, and very tender.

Where on your mom's head is this lump? I looked up on the internet a diagram of the lymph nodes in the human body. I see lymph nodes in the nec, and a small cluster around what looks like the nasal and oral cavities, but nothing was around the skull.

I would have your mom's oncologist look at it and definitely schedule an MRI. Whenever there is an issue of concern it is best to find out for sure before panicking, and then find a way to cure it.

I will pray for your mom Lori, She is always in my daily prayers, but I will say extras for her today and every day until I hear some good news.

OK, so mom has an MRI on the 22nd and an appointment with her neurosurgeon on the 23rd. I hate waiting that long, but they don't seem too concerned. They actually wanted us to take her there on day 1, then the MRI on day 2, then another appointment on day 3. I said "Do you understand my mom's mobility problem?"

Gosh, that van sure would be nice. Aside from wrangling her body, I am going to try to call RAMP service bc to pay for the ambulance will be about 250 dollars-it is 45 minutes away.

Thanks for the prayers.

Geez Lori, hoping big time this works out for you -- gotcha' on the mobility problem too......ambulance ride out-of-pocket here is $500-$700 (each way) if not "medically necessary" (so insurance would cover it) ..... keep us posted on this, please. Praying that the knot is nothing to worry about,

Linda