confusion as person gets sicker? typical?

gail p-m

My Dad who is 82 and is entering hospice is growing more confused by the day. First it was over major things -- such as doing tax returns (he was an accountant); tonight, he had temporarily forgotten how to work the remote for the TV. There are a zillion things in between these. He does not have brain mets. Is this confusion typical for someone with advanced disease? Why does it happen? At times, he is also having trouble using the correct words to express things and he has been expressing himself in odd ways.

Your thoughts?

gail p-m

Gail,

I can only speak from my personal experiences. But with my dad, he did get somewhat confused as he grew more ill. I believe it was the combination between the incredible amounts of pain medication he had and the progression of his cancer, which was causing many of his functions to shut down. I am so sorry that you have to see your dad going through this I know how difficult it can be to see someone you love go downhill. I am sending prayers your way, for your dad and you.

Grace

My Mom did get confused, but it wasn't noticable right away. I can remember the hospice nurse asking if she had been confused and I was suprised when she said yes.

As things progressed, the confusion became more pronounced. I'm not sure if it was because the cancer eventually did go to the brain, if it was from the meds, if it was the toxins, or if it was just the process of her body shutting down.

Praying for you and your Dad. I know that the changes that happen so quickly are devestatingly hard.

Yes, confusion can be from the advanced stage of the disease itself and does not have to be from brain mets. My mother had big-time dealings with it from the beginning (before meds and such even entered the picture). Our doc explained at some point that the disease itself can set up biochemical changes in the body that make this happen. Throw in everything else that can happen along the way like med side-effects, brain mets, out-of-line electrolytes and it just makes it worse.

Linda

ood question for Oncologist probably but here are a couple of Links I found May help or a suggestion For Onc

1)http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/results/motexafin0606

click above to be redirected

Sending Prayers for all and hope thishelps

Hi Gail

We were told basically the same as Linda. Mum was very confused and distressed the last 6 weeks of her illness. She did have brain mets, but scans indicated that they were continuing to reduce in size, so it was more likely the 'disease process' that was causing the cognitive deterioration.

It's heart-breaking - I hope you find many more 'dad moments' in the days to come.

Much love to you and your family,

Karen

Hi -

My mom did not have brain mets - but did get more confused as the disease progressed. I think it was a build up of the pain control drugs, chemo and general fatigue. She was very coherent, but she had a tough time with things like knitting.

I am sorry you are going through this.

Holly