Chemo hot flashes?

kamataca

OK, I know it hasn't been under 100* in OK for a long time now, but Mom has had some issues lately with hot flashes, and she wonders if it could be chemo related? Now I know, sometimes a hot flash is just a hot flash, but suffice it to say that Mom was done with all of that nonsense a long time ago.

She has only had these problems since she started chemo. She has woken up at night drenched in sweat, and then of course is freezing minutes later when the A/C finally hits her. She takes her temp, worried about fever, but so far it has been in the normal range. Yesteray one hit her, and she said she felt like she was ging to lose her lunch.

Anyone else had to deal with this?

:) Kelly

I can tell you with certainty that chemo can cause hot flashes. It happened to my wife. The onc put her on Effexor, which is a antidepressant, but which has the nice side effect of diminishing hot flashes. It works for her, and she is on it as long as she is taking chemo. Don

Kelly,

Alan would literally break out is a sweat and yes at

times it would cause him to become physically ill.

It still happens to him 1 year after chemo. Not near

as often, but I always know when his is struggling,

because he is drenched with sweat and running for the

trash can.

Praying your mom does not have to deal with this too

often.

Kelly,

Chemo can and does cause fevers, hot flashes, etc. -- but so does the lung cancer itself. Tony had a lot of problems in this area prior to diagnosis. After he started on chemo he had feverish reactions. Sorry your Mom is having to experience "2nd menopause". Geez -- like once around with hot flashes isn't enough!! :o Sure hope she is doing better.

Welthy

It's annoying. I had the same symptoms. A lot of mine was related to premature menopause caused by the chemo (and radiation), but after chemo I would get really flushed (very red face) and would sweat night and day!

Hope your mom can find some relief and feels better soon!

Yep - the wonderful hot flashes! I had forgotten how they start post chemo!!! I was laying on the couch last night and I was taking the covers off, putting them back on, taking them off, putting them back on........you get the picture!! I was driving the dog nuts!!! :lol:

Lots of water seems to help this, but as I remember, it tapers off after awhile.

All my best to your Mom,

Pam in FL

Hi Kelly,

I've been having hot flashes for the last couple of months--worse at night. Wakes me up like clockwork every 2 hours. Per my docs, it's caused by the chemo. My gyn suggested Prempro, but my oncologist didn't agree. He suggested Zoloft (an anti-depressant); said it seems to work for hot flashes too. I'm only on my second day, so it's too soon to report on the outcome. He said it might take a week or two to kick in. I tried the herbal stuff (black cohosh, evening primrose oil) for several weeks with no success. Sure hoping this Zoloft works--I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

Tell mom she's in my prayers.

Kim