Please help..can anyone translate this to me...very nervous

nonni

Hi kids...sorry I haven't been on for a while...hope all is well with everyone or getting better...

I had my chest exray last wk and picked them up today with the report....Welll I read the report and shouldn't have...cause first I don't understand it and second ...scared the begebbies out of me....

I know we have lots of smart ladies and gent's on this board who are so knowledgeable and supportive...I was wondering if anyone could translate these finding...Is this something to be worried about....well I am anyway...grrrrr...here it is

------------------------------

Finding's....There is minimal loss of voume in the hemithorax with elevtion and tenting of the right hemidiaphragm and deviation of the heart and trachea to the right....

Ill-defined a soft tissue density is seen in the medial aspect of the right apex, probably due to postoperative change, although more prominent as compared to 07/19/05

There is no evidence of a new mass , infiltate or effusion. The CTR is 13/25.5. Pulmonary vascularity is normal. The right hilum may be slightly more prominent as compare to previous study, although this finding may be due to the pulmonary artery..

IMPRESSION: There is increasing soft tissue density in the medial right

upper lung and possible increasing of the heart and mediastinum to the right...Although this finding may be postoperative, increasing atelectasis cannot be excluded.

Therfore, a CT scan with IV contrast, if possible is recommended to exclude a mass...

Thank you so much...love you guys and pray for all of us every single day and night...hugs.PamS.

----------------------------------------------

//

My feeling is that x-rays aren't able to tell a lot about what's really there--just that there MIGHT be something there.

My advice is to try to wait until after a CT scan to get excited IF anything is really there. Don's famous for saying don't borrow trouble. I would call and get a CT scheduled ASAP so you can find out for sure if there is or isn't anything to worry about.

Praying for you! Take care.

Pam,

Overall it seems full of it could be's or not be or iffiness. It seems the recommendation of CT with contrast is your next step. I agree with Tina, I would be having your doc schedule that as soon as possible . Waiting, wondering and worrying really sucks. It's best to get on with it and know what is going on. Pam, you need to be talking to your doctor about this.. where is he/she? Hope they will help you soon and that you will find that you have nothing to worry about. In my prayers.

Love ,

Sue

Pam. I totally agree with Sue that this is something you need to talk to your doc about. None of us that I know of, have MD after our names! :wink: Why don't you give his office a call and see if someone can give you an idea to what that means.

Good luck and let us know what you find out. And Shame on you for peaking!! :P:wink: As my Grandson says: Grandma, No PEAKING!

I have that "ill defined soft tissue density" on my scans and also "post operative change". I was told that it was scar tissue, the result of surgery. That is what yours sounds like to me, of course I am not an MD. It sounds like the person who read your xray and wrote the report was very thorough and wants to make sure that it is no more than scar tissue that is why the CT scan is recommended. I would have that done very soon so that you can stop worrying.

Hi Pam,

To me, I interpret the radiologist's findings as postive. He/she isn't too shook about anything, but wants to follow through for clarity and it sounds alot like a Cover Your *ss report if you ask me.

He is talking mostly about shifting of your inerds after your lc surgery. The tenting of the lung is moving up into the space that once occupied the lung. And the stuff about the heart and all that is following suit and shifting around near as I can tell. I interpret there isn't any collapse in the lung, but he/she could be wrong (CYA)

I don't hear anything in this report (if it were mine) that I would spend too much time worrying about, Pam. Okay? Get your CT done and it will buy you some peace of mind.

Cindi o'h

The rad. doesn't sound alarmed at all.

I think it just saying that most is due to your operation. The organs move a little bit after the removal of a lobe.

CTR is an estimate of heart size (does not seem to mean anything as far as the report goes)

atelectasis - is a loss of air in the lung. I had this on one of my x-rays. May indicate blockage in the lung (mucus, etc)

probably/hopefully just changes from the operation

They are just being cautious which is good

-----------------------------------------------------

Finding's....There is minimal loss of voume in the hemithorax with elevtion and tenting of the right hemidiaphragm and deviation of the heart and trachea to the right....

Ill-defined a soft tissue density is seen in the medial aspect of the right apex, probably due to postoperative change, although more prominent as compared to 07/19/05

There is no evidence of a new mass , infiltate or effusion. The CTR is 13/25.5. Pulmonary vascularity is normal. The right hilum may be slightly more prominent as compare to previous study, although this finding may be due to the pulmonary artery..

IMPRESSION: There is increasing soft tissue density in the medial right

upper lung and possible increasing of the heart and mediastinum to the right...Although this finding may be postoperative, increasing atelectasis cannot be excluded.

Therfore, a CT scan with IV contrast, if possible is recommended to exclude a mass...

Thank you so much...love you guys and pray for all of us every single day and night...hugs.PamS.

Geezz kids...thanks for reply's so quickly...I told my hb that if anyone would have answer's or suggestion's it would be you guys...Your the best!!!

Neway..I took your advice and called the doctor's office...I didn't even ask to talk to him and don't even know if he was in the office...but I talked to his secretary who has been with him for a while and is pretty 'savvy' on LC....I asked her if she read my report...She said she saw it come in but didn't have a chance to look at it yet...well I read her part of mine and she said ..it doesn't sound bad and it looks like it's precautionary...BUT and a bit BUT...my surgeon may disagree after he looks at the exray...and HE will decide if I need a CT or not....Soo I will let you know on monday...and then if he decides "no"...than what...who do you want to listen to....I hate this fri***ng stuff...GO AWAY AND LEAVE US ALONE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent...but I promise it is not going to run my life...just get palapatations every time scan time comes...ha

Love to all...PamS.

Pam,

Your primary care physician/family doctor can order a CT from the report you have - after all, it's SUGGESTED that a CT with contrast be done to rule out whatever that said...

My PCP ordered a CT after a cloudy x-ray to begin with, and here I am...

Take care,

Becky

Pam,

I agree with Cindi and the others about the shifting - that's not uncommon at all and actually to be expected.

I think the radiologist is reporting on what he "sees" which doesn't concern him. It's what he "can't see" that he thinks should be checked - just to be sure he's accurate. He was very thorough and pretty clear about what he thought he saw and what he is pretty sure is causing it, but basically he saw no problems. Like Tina said, X-Rays just don't show everything. Sounds like a conscientious radiologist to me. Wish they were all like that!

Also, my husband had atelectasis in his lower left lung caused by the radiation to that area. He had it for the entire two years - slightly increasing as time went by. I've always heard it defined as a partial collapse of the lung. In a CT scan it is more easily seen (at least by those of us who are not trained to read X-rays). Because the lungs are so clearly defined in a CT, you can usually see the slight difference in shape. It NEVER gave my husband one bit of a problem with it. No breathing problems - nothing. Once his lung tumor was fried, he never had a spec of cancer in his lungs again.

Even with all the information given here, you will not rest easy until you get that CT scan. The not knowing is always worse than knowing. I wish there was an easy fix for that - I call it scanitis! :)

Love,

Peggy

Hi Pam,

Just agreeing with everyone else. See what you doc. says on Monday. Try not to worry, as it probably is just due to the shifting and scar tissue.

Radiologist are not familiar with your case and they just write everything they see.

I know I have scoliosis and some degenerative disc desease, but when I had my MRI it sounded like I should be bedridden. Turn out to be nothing like the the report. Try not to worry.

Good luck, I feel everything will be fine.

Maryanne :wink: