What To Expect from Tarceva

Chanwit

This is a question to anyone who has had a success with Tarceva. The Onc just switched Lisa from Gemzar and Carbo to Tarceva 150 once per day. The chemo had its success but was just too hard on the HGB, RBC, and Platelets. She had completed 5 cycles.

What were the noticible side affects of Tarceva and how long into the treatment did you notice them.

Were there any noticible physical feelings of improvement as the days went by and how long did it take to feel a change. The Onc said there won't be any CT scans for a couple of months to check the real affects. He will monitor every 2 weeks in the clinic. Like to hear from you. Thanks, Chuck

I had very good success with Tarceva. Symptoms seem to vary with everybody. I had very dry skin and a red face. My face was extra sensitive to the cold in the winter. I had on again and off again diarrea. I had pimples in my hair mostly, some would show on my face and other parts. I had slowed hair growth. All in all it was very manageable.

I used lots of skin lotion for the dry skin. I was on 150 mg per day. I know some people had the amount reduce because symptoms were unmanageable. I was on it only for a year but, I had already been on Iressa for two years. They are very similar drugs only Tarceva is supposed to attack more receptors. It is a targeted chemo. The other are what I call baseball bat chemo. The ones that beat the crap out of you hopefully killing the cancer before the chemo kills you.

Hi,

tim has been on Tarceva for about 4 months, and the results have been good. Tim's side effects include a rash all over his face which sometimes erupts, and sometimes is virtually non existent, and just last week spread to his neck; diarreha, and slow hair growth (which I didn't realize was a side effect until I read the replys to your post!) He was on 150 but got reduced to 100 due to earlier side effects (rash all over his body and fever)

Sandra

Hi Chuck,

I have been on Tarceva now for 16 months and have had great success with it. It has been nothing short of a miracle for me. Today I even managed to run, something I thought would never happen.

My side effects have been brutal I have to say. Apparently this reaction is not common, but I have learnt to live with it all now. My scalp is raw, my body is covered in the rash, my nose is all split, I sound a treat don't I? There are too side effects for me to mention to be honest, but the bottom line is that it's working and that's all I care about.

Best of luck with it,

Sharon

I've been on Tarceva 3-1/2 months now and I find it to be sooo much easier than chemo (I was on Taxotere every 3 weeks which really knocked me out). When I first started taking Tarceva, I had a horrible rash on my nose, cheeks and chin. My onc. prescribed Minocycline, which helped but didn't get rid of the rash, then he added Clindamycin (an ointment applied at bedtime). That combination really took care of the rash. I continue to take both drugs and will take both as long as I'm taking Tarceva. The only other problem I have with Tarceva is extremely dry skin, eyes, nasal passages and mouth. Drinking lots and lots of water helps.

Hope it works for Lisa.

Trish

Mom was on Tarceva for 16 months, and it was a godsend for her! She had the expected rashes that seemed to migrate(she'd get the one on her back under control, then have a problem elsewhere), and problems with mouth sores. The Dr gave her something for the mouth sores, and she used Aveeno for the rashes. Overall, the side effects were mild-ish and they did not interfere with her everyday activities.

Mom's primary tumor did not grow noticably nor did the cancer spread for the first 16 months she was on Tarceva. In the 17th month, there was some spreading, so she is now on Gemzar. We are so thankful for those 16 months, though!

Hope Lisa will do well on Tarceva and will have minimum side effects. Keep us posted!

:) Kelly

Dad has been on tarceva for one month now. I asked him for the answer to your questions. He started off saying he had no problems, but when I pushed he said: drink water, use vasiline and lotion for dryness. He has had no other problems. He also added that his though his skin is dry, it always has been, but it no longer itches like it had before

• 4 weeks later...

My wife's experience was that she was developing Pleural Effusion very rapidly and had required 3 prior Thorocentises (draining) prior to the Pleurodesis. That is, cancerous fluid was accumulating in the space arround the right lung between the lung and rib cage. (pleural cavity). The fluid was calapsing the right lung and causing SOB. The pulmonary MD would only perform the procedure after repeated draining because multiple Thorocentises is risky and can result in a colapsed lung and infection.

The pulmonologist MD that performed did not use Talc. I read his notes and they read that Chemical Pleurodesis was less risky and he used Silver Nitrate. I've heard that Talc is the traditional treatment. I think Chemicals are used in cases for a more permanent bonding. The lung is considered Super Glued to the rib cage. She was in the hospital for 8 days. The time depends on how long it takes to drain the fluid and how long it takes for the lung to completely expand and fill the lung cavity. She also had a mild case of pneumonia which extended the time by 3 days. The fluid accumulates as a result of the cancer inflamation, radiation, and chemo can cause additional inflamation. Maybe that's why the oncologist wants to do the procedure to keep from interrupting the Chemo schedule. Any way the procedure essentially bought her the time to be able to be treated with the Chemo and now Tarceva. She was on oxygen prior to the procedure and was off O2 after the procedure and now only uses it at night.

Strangely in her case I had to force the issue of the procedure to be performed by the Pulmonary MD. I was about to change Oncologist at that point because he didn't seem to be in touch with her case or he didn't think it was worth the time. Wierd! Long story short. the Pleurodesis worked and the Tarceva is working. Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on Tarceva for about two months. I had previously been on Carboplatin/Gemzar, which worked for a while; Alimta/Avastin, which didn't work; and Taxotere, which didn't work. I had metastases in my right lung. The Tarceva took care of those in about three weeks. Yippee.

But the two main side effects I'm experiencing are diarrhea and extremely dry skin. The diarrhea is being well controlled by Imodium, but I haven't been able to find a lotion that helps the skin. It neither hurts nor itches badly, so I'm not inclined to take some of the drugs that many of you have mentioned, but I have not found a lotion that helps. I tell people that I have body dandruff; that's what it feels like.

Any suggestions for lotions that might help?

Take care,

Joe

Other options include Nivea with White Cap. Deb used it and I heard someone mention Udder cream? I think from Walmart. Nivea is easier to get though. she did have very few side effects when she took it Prayers and Good Luck. Keep us posted.

With help from a couple of members and being pointed to Tarceva's non-insured coverage web site, I am currently on 250 mg of Tarceva daily. Same minor complaints as above plus "Tarceva Fingers". This is like a lot of hang nails or ingrown finger nails at the cuticles.

As far as moisturizers, I just let my face get all pimply, dried and cracked. With Halloween coming up, I will not need a mask.

Also have Avastin rash on chest and upper abdomen. Pretty soon the Tarceva and Avastin rash will meet and I will either implode or be cured.

That's a lot of Tarceva. I thought 150mg was the max. You mentioned Tarceva fingers. Lisa had Tarceva toes on both feet and one other toe which I thought was ingrown toe nails. Soaking in Epson salt and using OTC neosporum (sp?) is managing the problem. I'll ask the oncologist today if it was caused by the Tarceva. With that large dose are you taking it all at once or during the day. I had Lisa cut the 150mg in half and she takes it morning and evening. Don't punish your face and body. Try to control it with some antibiotic creams and moisturizers. Anyway I hope that dose is working. You've got to do what you've got to do. That's my motto. Chanwit

I have been taking Tarceva 100mg for a little over a year. I take a lot of supplements and herbs. I try to drink an 8oz glass of water for every hour that I am awake, I exercise 6 times a week (need to work up a sweat) and I sit 15 minutes a night in a hot tub.

If I slack off on my water I will get a slightly soar throat and if I miss some of my exercise I will get a slight itch on my lower legs. Get back on the water and do my exercise, then it gets better.

A couple of things I take are AHCC 2 grams three times a day

Melatonin 20mg at bed time.

If anyone is interested in what else I take just pm or e-mail me.

Ernie