New, Scared and Confused

Bev'sSister

Hello, Bobby:

It's good that you found this community, you'll find lots of good advice, support, and information here.

My own mother was just diagnosed with SCLC and is awaiting her first round of chemo, so I know where you're coming from.

Hang in there, and best of luck to you and your loved ones! Be sure to keep us posted.

Laurie

Hello Bobby and welcome.

I am sorry you had the need to find this site, but glad you have joined us.

There are so many wonderful and caring people here and I am sure that you will have answers to your questions in short order.

First and foremost, the initial diagnosis of this disease is a SHOCK and things are going to be very overwhelming for a while. Have your sister get a small notebook and document EVERYTHING, from her own questions and concerns to the test results, treatment plans and so on. It is too easy to forget things with all that she will be facing.

As crazy and scary as things are right now, once her treatments begin, it will get easier to cope with. Just keep a positive attitude, it will help.

Keep us posted here and let us know how we can help you and your sister through this. Read some of the survivor stories and the good news here. There is so much hope to be found there.

My best to you and your sister,

Chris

Bobby, I'm sorry you've come here at such a sad time and haven't had as much response as you normally would have, I think. So I'm bumping this post up where others can see and respond.

You might also try reading some of the "My story" entries and contacting some of the people there with SCLC. Unfortunately, my brother DavidC has gone to heaven, but he wrote a good post there that includes a link to an article that makes some good points about statistics (and beating them!).

This is a scary journey, but people do survive and people also manage to live a lot during treatment and to learn things we all never wanted to learn, but things that are nevertheless important. Like how to make the most of every day with those we love.

I'm sorry you and your family are going through this, and I wish you all the best for your sister's long healthy life. There are survivors here, and I hope some will pipe in soon!

Welcome,

BeckyCW

Just bumping this up in hopes a few more people will reply to - and welcome - Bobby!

Bobby, I hope you and your sister are doing well. I hope you're doing something this weekend to really enjoy yourselves, before she starts chemo this coming Monday.

Just wanted you to know I've been thinking of you and hoping your sister goes into remission quickly and stays there forever!

BeckyCW

Bobby,

Welcome to the site! Chemo is normally very effective against SCLC. There is hope. Praying for your sister and for you during this difficult time.

Be sure to keep notes, ask lots of questions, and do your homework. Knowledge is power. I spent a lot of time doing research on treatment options, new treatments, etc. It helps. Take care.

Hi,

Don't know too much about SCLC, as I have NSCLC, but I would like to welcome you. I can help once your sister has started chemo because symptoms are pretty similar and there are certain things we should all do. An example would be to make sure she drinks plenty of water.

Anyway, just know we are certainly here for you whatever we can do or help you with.

Joan

Bobby,

First I'm glad you found us!, second I am so sorry you had to find us.

As you can see my husband has extensive sclc. I'm not going to sugar coat stuff. He's still with us, but his cancer has spread into his brain again.

What I can tell you about the treatment for sclc, is that yes, when treatment works, it works very well! It sounds like from what you say that it probably is dx as extensive if it has spread.

Do you know what type of chemo she is having? Because many will be able to tell you their own personal experiences or the experiences of those they love going thru this.

One thing I'm sure many will say about chemo, is that each person is different in their response to it. My husband did just fine in his first go around. But know there are many meds that can combat the side effects, such as nausea, diaherra, low blood cell or platlette counts.

She may or may not have an appetite, but it is very important that she keep her nutrition up. Drinks like Ensure, Boost, also shakes, and not too spicy or fatty foods are good.

Also has she been given the option of PCI ( profilactive cranial irriation) or WBR ( whole brain radiation ), same thing, first term is preventative, second is brain tumors are present. I'm saying this because sclc can spread to the brain ( like my husbands')

Probably one of the most important thing is her attitude, so so very important in this fight. Also good support, whether it be the hospital, drs. nurses, social workers, but of course, family and friends. I hope you will let her know about us.

If you have any more ?'s don't be shy just ask away!

Grace

Welcome to the site. Small cell responds well to chemo. Please go to the small cell forum and find the post (a sticky) titled something like "what I did to fight sclc". It will help your sister. There are many survivors here...let us know how her treatment goes.

Welcome, but so sorry you have reason to be here.

I'm almost 5 years from diagnosis and I'm doing fine there's been no sign of my cancer for well over 4 years. Sclc usually responds well to chemo and radiation so please don't think that this has to be your sister's last hurrah.

Lots of people survive this and that's the mindset you need to grasp and hold onto. It's the timeless attitude of thinking positive.

Some people sail through chemo with no side effects at all, nausea and vomiting can be controlled with medication and make sure that she keeps well hydrated. Dehydration can make you feel dreadful, so lots of water. If fatigue cames later on, naps are the answer. Depending on the type of chemo she may lose her hair, I did but not everyone does.

After this first treatment a part of the worry will go, fear of the unknown is awful. The drs and nurses are well used to answering questions and they have heard them all so there is no such thing as a stupid question - if there's anything she doesn't understand or is concerned about they are usually only to happy to explain.

Most important of all, remember to breathe!

Take care

Geri

Thanks to all who replied. I am still praying for a miracle..my sister has already claimed one. She will start chemo on Monday, so I will continue to update as I know things. Just not really feeling too talkative right now, but wanted to say thanks because it really does mean a lot to me to know there are people out there to talk me through this.

Bobby

Thanks for checking in. This is an overwhelming time for you and we understand the not being talkative thing.

Keep reading the good news stories and the survivor stories and concentrate on the POSITIVES. There are so many of those here and more importantly, there is HOPE!!!!

Please know you and your sister are in my thoughts and prayers and I do hope the chemo goes smoothly. Let us know when you are able to. We will be here for you.

Hugs and prayers

Chris

HI Bobby,

My sis also has sclc. She just finished her 6th round of chemo, and is doing great. The first one was full of the fear of the unknown, and every new sensation was a little scary, but after that, you start to hone your techniques for getting through it. It also helps if you have a partner. Will you be with your sis during her treatment? I stay with her for a few days after treatment.

She does yoga and eats lots of fruits and veggies. She also has had lots of friends constantly calling, sending cards, etc...which has been soo important.

Finally, it is really important to communicate with the Drs about everything.

We have a challenging time with this disease, but we also have control over how we deal with it. That is a powerful thing.

Best of Luck,

Marco Jo

Thanks so much to everyone for the support and constant uplifting. My sister, Beverly, has her first chemo treatment today. She is very nervous, but in good spirits. Her faith is just unbelievable. Her PET results showed no further spreading so that is good, I think. I live in another city, but I plan to go there this weekend to see her and get her house in order and cook a few meals for her and her family. Her husband is there with her and we have a really large family, so someone is always there. Thank you all so much. You have no idea how it makes me feel to know that others have been where I am and can tell me what to expect and hope for.

Bobby,

You have found the best site on the Internet for information and support. If you have time, just surf through some of these threads to see what to expect so far as treatments and the different responses and reactions we've all had. Everyone handles the different procedures according to their own metabolism and strength going in.

Chemo and radiation are common and new procedures and drugs are frequently being discovered. The others have already got you pretty well primed so stick with your sis and jump in here and ask or share any time you feel like it.

Tell your Sis there's a whole team out here pulling and praying for her.

John L

Bobby, I just checked in to see if you'd posted about your sister's treatment today, and I'm glad you did! Also glad you'll be able to spend some time with her to help out, keep her spirits up, and just BE with her.

Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and your sister. Also, please remember that lots of people are on this site reading posts and just never posting anything (shy folks!), so even more people than you realize are pulling for her and wishing her well.

BeckyCW

Well my sister took her first chemo treatment yesterday and is on her way to get the second one to day. She did fine with it, but I heard from someone that it takes 5 days before any side effects are felt. Is that true? I do not know what type of chemo she is getting..I forgot to ask. I have been trying to get her son home. He is in the Navy somewhere on the Arabian Sea. Finally, I think he is going to get leave to come and be with her for a couple of weeks. Hopefully, he will bring her spirits up. I will continue to update, as I get information. I am going there this weekend to cook some meals for her to freeze, so she doesn't have to worry about cooking, so I should be able to find out more. Thank you all for staying in touch. It is an incredible comfort to me.

Hi and welcome. I'm a 4 1/2 year survivor of Limited SCLC. Please tell Beverly that there are many, many survivors of this disease and we're here for her. Making meals and freezing them is a great thing to do. The last thing I thought about during chemo was food, but, in fact, it is very, very important that she eats. Also, she should drink as much water and Gatorade to keep hydrated. I always had Ensure in the house for those times when I couldn't manage to eat much. It was a lifesaver. Please keep us posted as to how she's doing (and you, too!)

Joanie

Bobby,

I wanted to welcome you to our group and commend you for being such a huge support for your sister.

Praying that the chemo will be easy for your sister to handle and that the side effects are minimal.

Keep us updated on how BOTH of you are doing.

Melinda

Bobby,

Like everyone, I first must welcome you to the site while also acknowledging that I am so sorry you needed to find us in the first place :( . Please know you have come to a wonderfully informative, supportive, and loving place.

My dad is currently in remission for SCLC. It has been a scary ride, and I cannot admit otherwise. He responded extremely well to chemo, and radiation, and he chose to have PCI, a preventative radiation to the brain to attempt to ward off any metasisizing there.

Dad didn't get sick from Chemo until about round 3, and then he wasn't too bad. The best piece of advice I have is to assure that your sis keeps on top of the nausea, because that can make her feel pretty crummy. Don't feel bad about taking the meds to ward it off, and that will make her stronger for the emotional side of a cancer diagnosis.

Stay strong, and know I am thinking about you and your sis.

Blessings to you!

Jen