new, but not really

donnalee

This is my first time to post although I've been coming here to read for over a year. My husband was diagnosed with SCLC in November of 05 and has had his share of complication, but all in all is doing O.K. I guess the one year anniversary of his diagnosis, while a good thing, also tends to cause anxiety since the median survival is less than two years. I understand that these are statistics and that there are people who beat the odds, but with brain mets and adrenal mets I fear he won't be one of them.

I'm hoping by joining in on the discussion that I can learn to cope better.

Welcome, Donna, I'm so glad to hear that your husband is doing well, and that you have decided to post. The support here is tremendous and it will lift you up when you need it. A year is a long time and there are many reasons to believe that your husband will be around for a lot longer, just read the stories of survivors here on this board.

I can relate to your fear about the one year mark because although I have not gotten there yet, the longer I do okay, the more I worry that my time is running out. I have to constantly remind myself to just enjoy the fact that I am doing okay and not worry about happens if that should change.

Take care.

Tracy

Hi, Donna, and welcome! Glad you decided to post. Let us know how we may support you as we go along, and keep us posted on your hubby and yourself. My wife was given 9 months so every month after that we considered a bonus. She lived 4 years, and they were good years. I wish your husband has many more years to come. Don

Hello Donna,

I've walked in and still walking in your shoes. If you read below all about what my husband has and still is going thru, you can see he is a fighter too. I haven't even updated people as to what is happening with him since Christmas, I plan on doing that real soon, but what I can tell you is that his dr. is amazed at what he can take, what he has gone thru and that he is still fighting.

Coming here you will find an incredible support team of wonderous, marvelous people, fighters in all!

Grace

Donna,

Welcome, you will get lots of support here. Don’t pay to much attention to statistics, especially median survival. You could have people surviving for 20 years and still have a median survival of 2 years. There are new drugs every day and the statistics are not based on new drugs or treatment. Keep us posted.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Thanks for all of the welcoming words. I also received a PM that I would like to reply to, but I'm not sure how to do that privately. It was about the change in diagnosis from SCLC to Adenocarcinoma. I think the biggest revelation in all of our recent dealings with the medical community is just how subjective most of the diagnosing is. The original biopsy was never really definitive for SCLC, but the doctors had a meeting and "decided" that it "probably" was. All of his initial treatments were based on that decision. (His oncologist said later that the treatment would have been the same, but who really knows)

So, other than having all of your slides read by two or more pathologists - not a possibility with most insurance - I guess we just have to trust the doctors. As my mother says "Why do you think they call it 'practicing' medicine".

Welcome Donna,

Sorry you had to find us, but glad you have been lurking for awhile to see the support that these boards do provide. I lurked almost a year before posting.

Glad you clarified the SCLC & adeno issue. Had me scratching my head too!

You sound like you have a very realistic attitude. I never dreamed my husband would make one year, but he is now approaching the two year mark. I totally understand your fear as time goes by, but we just take it a day at a time and try to rejoice in what we have today. (And that is not always too easy to do!)

We are here, so please continue to participate.

Warm regards,

Welthy

Hello, Donna:

Sorry that your husband has lung cancer, and glad he is doing quite well with his treatment. This savage disease is hard to put down but we just have to keep working on it.

Thanks for clarifying the sclc diagnosis. Makes me wonder how many diagnoses are right.

To reply to a pm, just hit the respond button and type in your message and send.

Love and prayers to you and your husband

Barb