CT scan detection by accident

Nick C

I did..

Well actually it was an xray of my shoulder. I really didn't have any symptoms of LC. I had hurt/pain in my shoulder and my doc recommended an xray. I was your typical mid 30's, non smoker.. good health. I don't think LC was something they would have normally ever considered.

Thanks goodness a keen radiologist noticed the mass in my lung..

I had a scan of my abdominal area, and what appeared to be a nodule in my lower left lung was found. It was thought that it could also be an image artifact. I came back a few months later to do a chest ct, just in case, and a large mass was found in my upper left lobe. It could not be seen in the earlier scan. The lower lobe structure turned out to be a benign nodule. The large mass was stage 1b cancer.

Don M

My dad's story is similar to Don's. He had an abdominal CT scan before he was having a prostate procedure (not cancer related at all). It showed a mass in the lower lobe which led to a chest ct scan.

The lower lobe mass was bengin, but an upper lobe mass showed up on the chest ct scan and his journey began.

My spouse and I had been sick for a while. I'd had a dry cough for three weeks and finally aggravated my throat enough to cough up blood. I was being x-rayed to rule out TB and was diagnosed with pneumonia, as was my husband. My follow-up x-ray showed a cloud...

I had an x-ray of my chest to look at my heart eight months before and nothing showed on the x-ray. According to my oncologist, at the time it was removed, my cancer had been growing 3-5 years. Sure am glad I was so sick, though prior to the diagnosis, I was sick of being sick and feeling so drug out.

Yep, certainly not what we were looking for or expecting...surreal...

• 1 month later...

I was hospitalized with recurrent abdominal pain and the scan detected the tumor in my lung. The stomach problem turned into a non-event, but I'll always be thankful for it because I was completely asymptomatic in relation to the LC. Surgery allowed me to recently join the ranks of the 5-year survivors even though I had no follow-up chemo (the accepted protocol at the time).

• 1 month later...