Thanks to you

Betts

I can’t believe that I’m actually posting here, but I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you all for this supportive site. Although it is so sad to realize how many people are affected by lung cancer, it helps to know you aren’t alone. I found this site last month, in Feb., when my Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. He was a very light smoker for a few years and hasn’t smoked in nearly 40 years so this is such a shock to us. He is 70 years old and has lived with diabetes for 38 years. Other than that, he has been pretty darn healthy.

He went to the hospital in Jan with some chest and shoulder pain. An x-ray showed a spot on his right lung. After several tests over the next couple of weeks, they decided to do a wedge resection. It was diagnosed as adenocarcinoma so they continued on and removed the right middle lobe. There was some involvement of the visceral pleura and lymph nodes so it was staged as IIB or IIIA pending further discussion.

There was also some question about a “hot” spot on the thyroid that showed up on the PET scan so he had another surgery to remove a portion of the thyroid last week. The preliminary findings show that was not cancer.

These past couple of months have been so scary – it just all seems like a blur – it’s happened so fast. I try to do the research, but am afraid of what I’m going to find out. It’s all very confusing.

It has been great to read some of the success stories here (it's given me some hope and relief from the terrible thoughts I've been having). I have also been brought to tears many times for those that have been lost. I wish the best outcome for all of you going through this and of course for my father.

Hi Betts ~

I'm so sorry you find yourself here, but if you must walk this path, these are a great bunch to hold your hand!! :wink:

I just wanted to welcome you, and wish you, and your Dad ALL the best! As you have seen here, there is HOPE!!!! Even in the face of some pretty grim stats - this place is FULL of survivors! I just know in time you will see that your Dad will be among those SURVIVORS!!! He has reasonably good health, and a stellar daughter on his side...how can he lose? :wink: I will be sending up all the prayers and positive thoughts I can muster, on his behalf! And some healing hugs for good measure! :wink:

Hang in there & keep the faith!!

Yours in HOPE!!

Stacey

[ Betts ] He was a very light smoker for a few years and hasn’t smoked in nearly 40 years so this is such a shock to us. He is 70 years old...

Thought I was reading about myself for a few seconds! :o It seems that quitting smoking decades ago, or never smoking at all, does not provide as much assurance against developing lung cancer as we used to believe. There's still a "you did it to yourself" stigma attached to lung cancer which we don't see with breast cancer, prostate cancer, and many others.

It appears that your dad's cancer was found relatively early and that he has been getting excellent, aggressive medical care. Adenocarcinoma is a very common NSCLC cell type, is well studied, and can be treated in a number of ways. Is chemo planned when he has recovered sufficiently from the two surgeries?

Give us some more details about his condition and treatment (preferably in a "profile" like you see at the bottom of most of our messages), and we'll learn from you as you learn from us. A warm welcome to the LCSC, along with my best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers and the welcome to the site - it is much appreciated and I know it helps.

I will try to work on a timeline "profile" for what has been done so far. As of now, he has an appointment next week to discuss treatment which I believe will be chemo, but we'll know more about that after the appointment.

I'm going to keep trying to think positive and tell him of the stories I've read about on this site to help him do the same.

(Recce101, I see from your profile that you were in the Air Force. My Dad was also and my father-in-law was a recce pilot.)