SORE THROAT, HARD TO SWALLOW - ADVICE NEEDED

enyaw061032

I have only had 11 radiation treatments, but find it harder and harder to swallow. It feels like a bump is in the way, and my throat feels sort of tight.

Isn't it too soon for this to be happening? If it is getting this bad now, how is it going to be by the end of 30 radiation treatments?

Help please?

Barb

I am sorry this is happening so quick for you. You need to talk to your radiologist about maybe magic mouth wash or some Carfate(sp?). It works on alot of people. I was one of the unforunate and nothing helped. They tried everything nothing would go down. I had a hard time swallowing my own sylivia. I hope you can talk to someone and get some help for you. I am sorry you have to go through this.

Oh, Beth, my suggestion would be not to get lung cancer in the first place, then you wouldn't need treatment, but since you're already here.... :roll:

I would guess your field is higher up than mine was, I wasn't "uncomfortable" until the third week - BUT, it was high enough to drain the batteries in my thyroid months later...

ANYHOW...

My radiation oncologist told me to get aloe juice, George's brand. It's potable, not the lotion or gel you put on after a bad sunburn... That would soothe my throat, worked for the first few days of being uncomfortable...THEN it was the carafate. Carafate was once popular for treating ulcers - it's the nastiest crap I have EVER swallowed in my life, times ten. The process was a shot of aloe to soothe followed by the prescribed amount of Carafate to coat. Nasty, nasty, nasty...but it DID work to some extent. Didn't make eating any easier, but minute-to-minute swallowing improved.

I DID notice that the more I noticed that lump, the bigger it seemed to grow. Mind you, it was definitely there and not a figment of my imagination, but grew horrible when I was doing a "pain check" to see if it still hurt and if it hurt more. Kinda like having a canker sore and the tongue constantly finding its way there to make it worse...

So, get the soothing stuff, get the coating stuff, and try some anxiety stuff to keep your nerve level down to where you can cope. Make sure to get your sleep, be kind to yourself, and visualize all those possible cancer cells getting their little butts fried to death!

Good luck!

I have a sore throat, no feeling of a lump and have 9 treatments left after today, but Im very lucky because Ive really had no swallowing problems except for the sore throat, Ive gained 3 pounds, the did tell me to take small bites and a drink of water after each bite. This last 13 treatments have been redirected so I guess my eshopagus wont be getting sore. I do take the magic mouth wash at night before I go to bed. Good luck.

I assume it is just the location of things. Drink lots and lots and lots of water. Eat when you can, whatever you can. My dad drank ensures for meals. There also are meds you can take to help it, plus magic mouthwash. You can do it!!! Stay strong!

Sorry this is happening for you. My friend, with SCLC, was given something to swallow to deaden the throat right before she ate. Once she started experiencing this problem, it was only a few weeks til it passed. Hope this goes quickly for you too! She was also given something for her stomach to help ease the burning sensation. As your radiologist or oncologist for something to help.

Best of luck on finishing up your treatments.

Welthy

Thank all of you for offering help, and that gives me some things to try. I hope something works because I am having trouble just trying to do normal swallowing, without eating or drinking and it hurts. I have told the radiation nurse and doctor and they didn't seem to have much to say about it except try malox or mylanta! I did and they didn't work for me.

Barb

Barb,

I was in the same boat as you. My pain came early on and not much helped so far as the antacids and such. You already know about small bites and lots of liquids and chewing everything to micron size.

Smooth and soothing intake helped me most, ice cream, pudding, Jello, cream filled donuts. I think I was on that diet for over a year. I still have strictures, so swallowing can be difficult at times but pain is rare.

Hang in there, we're all pulling for you.

John

Hi Barb: I would try to be more specific with your radiation dr & your oncologist. You need magic mouthwash. It is a prescription that the pharmacist compounds up. It's made of Mylanta, Lidocaine and Benadryl. If thrush is in the mouth then nystatin can also be added to the mouthwash. Use the mouthwash immediately before eating. It helps numb the mouth & upper GI tract & helps swallowing. Good Luck & God Bless

wendy

Barb,

I just wanted to let you know that I lived on Campbells homestyle chicken noodle soup (had to take the few pieces of chicken out) and 1-2 Boost a day for 5-6 weeks. The Boost alone would take 30-40 min to get down. I would have hubby sometimes rub my shoulders just while I was drinking a boost in tears with pain telling him I did not want to drink it but it would relax me some. Make sure you let the Docs know. It had to come to a point in my treatment that I took a week off. Again I am sorry you have to go through this.