It's normal to worry

Liz13

I have been seeing a lot of post recently about people worring at scan time. I know I do. Terribly. I was trying to put it into words yesterday. It's like when I had my first child. I swore I would "never" do that again. Then time goes by and I forget the pain. And then I got pregnate again. And everything was fine. Till the first labor pain starts. Then it all came flooding back. The scans are a lot the same. Everything goes along and then all of the sudden it scan time. And it all comes flooding back. The pain, the treatment, the sickness, the worry, the fear. And just like that baby, there is really nothing we can do about it til it's over. I would actually be more concerned if I didn't worry at scan time. Then I might not be taking this as seriously as I should. What we need to do is control it. And some of the folks here have some great suggestions. I personally just get freaked out and depressed. Perhaps others could share their tips with us. Hugs, Liz

I get the same way. On the 30th I have my 3 month xray and since I have been ned this long I have myself convinced that since a lot of cancers reoccur in the first 2 years that something is going to show up this time for sure.But Im pretty sure Im not going to die today so I might as well ger out there and enjoy it the best i can. May God bless you and all of us.

Liz,

We have at least gotten to the point that we don't kick into full blown panic until the third day after the scan. That is about the time when the Doctor's office should have received the results and the phone hasn't rang yet. The nurses are pretty good and know how anxious folks get, so they try to call ASAP once the Doc reviews the results.

We also have begun to schedule the scans for late in the week. That way we know that we can't hear anything until Monday at the earliest. We don't get "hung up" for those extra weekend days that a Wednesday scan might cause. It's a mind game, but it works for us. :)

Welthy

I don't have any answer on how I cope b/c I don't cope too well with any tests now. Even routine blood work that I get causes me panic every few months. And with my dad's scans coming up, the monsters are coming out.

One thing I do though, I try to keep things consistent and ask for good thoughts. I also tend to get cranky during test time ;)

Liz,

When I have my tests scheduled, I try to put it out of my mind and tell myself I will really worry when I go to the doctor for the results. Of course, I couldn't do it in the beginning but now I go through the tests pretty much okay because I know that the worrying time isn't here yet. Then, I make sure that my follow-up appointment with the doctor is as close as possible to the tests - none of that wait one week for me, it drives me crazy. I know how long the hospital takes to send the results to the doctor and it is usually within 24 hours. So my appointment is no more than 2 days after.

I am usually okay between the tests and the doctor appointment because as I said earlier, I have designated 'worry time' and it hasn't arrived yet.

THe morning of the doctor appointment I am a total freak and can barely write my own name until I see him and get the results. I sit in the waiting room feeling like my nerves are all on the surface of my skin and any moment I am going to be in the chandelier. By the time I see him, I am wound SO tight that I'm shaking. But that's okay - I would rather have an hour or two of complete panic, then weeks of worry.

Basically, this is what I have done to get through things, I have to play games with myself. Sort of like when you set the alarm clock ahead because you need to trick yourself into waking up on time. I set a couple hours of panic time to trick myself into not worrying, because I'm not allowed to until the allotted time. For whatever reason, this works for me, most of the time...