questions about readatation

Robin

which seems to be the hardest chemo or radatation? I just finishe chemo amd I am so drained \I am in remission but the doctor say maybe some radatation would help also.I am beginning to feel like a rat in a lab.is radatation nesseacary?

Robin,

I had chemo that got rid of everything but the tumor that had shrunk way done. I was told that they may be able to use radiation. They gave me a PET scan and said there was nothing but scar tissue and there was nothing to radiate. I would wonder what they are radiating if there is nothing there, maybe just where the tumor was or the scar tissue.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Radiation was much easier for me. I think it depends on what area is being radiated. With me, radiation to the right lung every weekday for about a month and then to the adrenal tumor for a month of so – I’ve forgotten just how long the treatment was – just figured getting well was my job. Lung cancer is a tough battle – it’s necessary to do whatever it takes to get well. You say you’re in remission . . . are the SUV levels around “0” on your PET scans? You need to be a smart rat in this maze and remember that ½ of the medical people you deal with probably finished in the bottom ½ of their class.

Barb’s description is perfect. Radiation starts out easy but has the treatments progress you will get more and more tired. Not exhausted, just tired more easily. I had radiation right on my esophagus and that made eating extremely painful, but for most people I am told the only pain is skin burns or irritation

I've had both. The first time was radiation and chemo. I seemed to handle that one a little better than this last round of Radiation. I got really tired and couldn't seem to get enough rest no matter what I did. It's a lot better now but I belive that the radiation is worse, but doable.

Ralph

Robin,

I don't really recall one being better or worse than the other. What I do remember is that everything the doctors advised was the option I chose. In my case I had, (and still do have), 100% faith in them.

I guess, when I was in your position, they were all I had to rely on and they've done great by me. This whole process is tough and faith, prayer and good doctors are what helps us through the toughest parts.

Keep the faith. You have our prayers and support.

John

Why are they offering you radiation at this time? Is the radiation to your chest area, or is it PCI?

I would think it's a little soon to tell if your in conpelete remission being you just stopped your chemo.

I also did Chemo and radiation at the same time. I did my rad everyday for 36 session and my chemo 3 days every 3 weeks for 4 sessions.

In my opinion, it's given me 11+ years here and I would have to say, it was well worth it to (so called feel like a lab rat)???? It helped to give me life. It may not be a cake walk by no means, but no pain no gain. I think it's worth the try.

I had an easier time with radiation, but I never had it the same time as chemo. I have heard of a followup radiation, when the tumor appears to be gone, but I am unclear on why or how they would do it if they can't see the tumor. That would be a good question for Dr. West.

Don M

I also had chemo and radiation at the same time. Radiation was MOnday-Friday for 7 weeks with chemo every Friday. Like the all said before it was doable but wore me out. I did manage to stay by myself and take care of of my 5 horses ... it was tough but truly think knowing I HAD to feed them kept me going on a day to day basis.