Feeling generally awful and not sure why (updated 5/10)

teriw

Teri ... since you mentioned tht Bill is often experiencing being short of breath "SOB" I am wondering if he could perhaps need oxygen available for use. If his blood oxygen level drops below 90 for any length of time then that can certainly add to his being tired and miserable. struggling to breath will wear him out for sure. I know some folks that need oxygen while they sleep because we tend to breath more shallow when we are asleep. I know you already have a million questions on the plate that you are trying to juggle but we are all digging deep and trying to help Bill. I am praying for you both.

Thanks Judy. We brought that up twice to our doctor (once this week), and he keeps saying that in Bill's case -- because of the compression causing the SOB -- it won't really help. Only the tumor shrinking will. It seems weird to me. I was very surprised to know that you can't even get an emergency oxygen package without a prescription (I tried).

It's really not uncommon to NOT need oxygen. And if it is the tumor causing this disruption, then that is the culpurt.(Damnit)! I'm going to still hope that the topotecan can and will continue to shrink that bugger. It can happen!!!

I am going to keep my fingers and toes crossed for the topotecan in that it could still jump up to the plate and do it's stuff. In the mean time, I sure wish there was something I could say or do to make this journey for you two just a little bit softer and a lot more positive. It's not over until the fat lady sings. I'm fat and I'm not singing.

Your both in my prayers.

Teri,

Unfortunately if the tumor is compressing the main bronchus, oxygen will really not help. But there might be other problems with the lungs adding to SOB and for those oxygen could help. Have you tried to get oxygen compressor ? My father was using one and it helped him. You should not need a prescription for those and they can even be borrowed. My father's doctor did not recommend oxygen either but we feel that it helped my father.

Did the doctor discuss putting a stent into the bronchus ? That is another thing to keep in mind.

Is it really compression or is there infiltration of the airways as well ?

Thanks everyone. Yes, there is definitely compression. The MRI report specifically stated that. Just hoping he can get started with the radiation next week, but I know there's some juggling with the chemo schedule.

Other than the symptoms, he's definitely feeling a bit better and being more active, so I'm very thankful for that.

Thanks for all your support and suggestions...

Teri

Hi Teri,

Wanted to add that my Mom responded very quickly to the radiation causing compression and SOB. It was quite amazing to watch the large visible mass on her neck shrink daily. I'm sure your husband will get the same quick results.

Just a quick update to let you all know that Bill FINALLY started radiation this afternoon (actually, this evening). He will have 17 sessions in all. Not sure how long it takes to work, but hoping and praying it does the job and does it quickly!