Wanted to introduce myself

dscherer

Well, I have already commented in several areas and felt it was time to intro myself. My mom was diagnosised in Feb. 07 with sclc. Had the scope but couldn't get to anything to biopsy. She then had surgery and wasgiven actual diagnosis of limited stage sclc. So the roller coaster ride began. She started her treatment. She had three weeks of twice daily radiation and also started chemo Cisplatin and VP-16. Had a real rough patch and ended up in the hospital for a week. Her esophagus is burned from radiation and she stuggles to eat. She just had her 3rd round of chemo and we are still trying to keep her eating. She says she has no appetite and still has pain. Any suggestions?

My mom is an incredible woman and her strength is amazing but this treatment is just soooo tough on the body. I have hope and faith that we can beat this. I am just not ready to lose her - I still need her for so many things.

I come to this board everyday and the support here is incredible. I have read some of the most amazing stories of hope! These stories are priceless. Thank you to all of you who share these stories with such honesty. They have become a lifeline for me.

Thank you all and god bless,

Dana

Hi Dana,

I'm pretty new here too.

My husband has small cell also.. (limited too).

He felt pretty good until the chemo started, so I guess it's common. (the cure is worse then the disease at first, I think!).

Have the doctors offered your Mom the medication for her burnt esophagus called "Magic Mouthwash"?

They gave it to my husband, and it really helped him. He just took a spoon full, and it would almost instantly numb his throat so he could swallow without pain. Maybe you could ask the doctor about it...?

I'm thinking of you,

Nova

Hi Dana,

Pain pills and icecream work for me. I know everyone is different and what works for one will not for another so you will have to try all kinds of different stuff till you find what works. While I did radiation I was not allowed to swallow anything that was not thickend to honey thickness so I was dehydrated alot. Yes I lost weight but trust me when I was able to eat and drink anything I wanted I went a little crazy and have gained so much weight that I had to buy new clothes. My doctor loves that. I don't. It is so easy for someone doing chemo to lose weight that a few extra pounds is a good thing so I think about the extra pounds as insurance for when I might lose it. I did lose 10 pounds in one week because I could not keep anything down.

Sherry

Welcome Dana,

Another SCLC caregiver here. My husband also had that esophagus deal. He used Magic Mouthwash, had thrush and needed Diflucan and Carafate ( we have an awesome Onc nurse who was on top of everyting when it came to knowing what to prescribe) He eventually had an esophageal stricture and had to have "stretching" of his esophagus 8 times over several months. Now, the only reasons I'm telling you all of this is that no matter how bad it gets, things WILL get better. He's eating most anything now. SCLC is a booger, no doubt, but with prayer and faith and a loving caregiver we get through it. Welcome to this site, which has been my GODSEND.

Laurie

Welcome Dana. I hope you are able to figure out something that will work for your mom. My hubby liked milkshakes and sherbet, apples and bananas, and Boost/ Ensure was recommended by nurse. SCLC is a disease that can keep you on your toes for sure and it is nearly impossible to anticipate what might come up next but asking here is a wonderful way to get some thoughtful questions for your mom's doctor to help along the way.

My best to you and mom.

Peace...Flowergirlie

I want to thank all of you for your wonderful welcome. Though I would never wish anyone to have to be in these shoes there is comfort knowing I'm not alone. Your stories are amazing and I believe they show more courage and integrity then I believe I have ever seen. You have given me hope and faith at a time when it is sometimes difficult to find. That is priceless. I share all this info with my mom, who is amazing and strong! I can't put into words how much this site has helped.

Thank you,

Dana

Hi Dana,

My Mom started on Carafate at the beginning of her radiation tx so she didn't get the burns inside--only outside. BUT she does still use the Lidocaine viscous solution once a day because she says her throat is kinda "touchy".

Mom hates the Ensure and Boost and I agree it's nasty! But she drinks a Carnation Instant Breakfast shake a day that I mix up with whole milk for extra calories (and sometimes put some half and half in there lol). Those shake taste really good. Someone suggested to me to take the Boost and mix the Instant B'fast in it. She gave her Boost and Ensure away so I can't sneak any of it in there but I thought that sounded like a good idea.

Hang in there!

Hi Dana: when Maurice has days when he can't eat I too make up shakes from Carnation Instant Breakfast. He hates boost & ensure. I mix it with half & half & add lot of ice cream for extra calories. You can also throw in strawberries or peaches. Blend it all up & voila ! Instant Shake. Also has your Mom been given the Magic Mouthwash? The dr prescribes it but it's compounded by the pharmacist. Lidacaine, Maalox & Benadryl. Drink it down before eating & it numbs the throat & esophaagus to make eating a little easier. Good Luck & God Bless

wendyr