Support Group Question

Judy-OK

I went to a Better Breathers meeting today and made the mistake of asking if there was a Lung Cancer Suppor Group in the area. Well the lady that was putting on the class today made two phone calls and then handed the phone to me. On the other end was the American Lung Association asking if I would be interested in starting up such a group. I gave her my address so she could forward some information to me. I guess my question is do any of you attend support groups specifically for "Lung Cancer" and if there is not such a beast in your area would you attend one if there were? Thanks for any and all info or insight you might have regarding this subject. Judy :oops: opened her mouth again. LOL

It would be a good idea I think because ot the treatmenta dn stigmatism attached to Lung Cancer. there is so much for Breast Cancer and the other major ones and not for Lung cancer. I think it is a great idea and would be encouraging to those new to this and afraid if what happens..

Connie B started the first lung cancer support group here in Minnesota, Now there are 4, I believe.

I went to a cancer support group when I was first diagnosed and it was weird. Most all had breast cancer and somehow their concerns were not mine.

Donna G

Judy,

I'm from Quebec, Canada and

there is nothing in this Province,

my friend that lives in Price Edward

Island has two meetings a week, one

for support and another one as a pot

luck supper, they also have long week

end reunions twice a year in a beautiful

location, the expenses of the location

is paid by the Cancer Society, members

only pay for their food and travel.

Would be the first one to register

for a support group.

Tried to start one but French people

are not interested in showing that

they have cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, you would make a big

improvement for a lot of people

that really need support and a place

to be understood.

Hugs

Jackie

Hi Judy,

We had a lung cancer group in our area for about 1 1/2 years, but it recently disbanded due to low attendance. I think the problem was that most people are undergoing so much regular treatment that they are too tired to attend. We used to go, but didn't make it as much as we wanted to because of treatment. The time of day (5:30-6:30 pm) wasn't good either. Another factor was members were not surviving and it really would throw others into depression when that happened. I think it is hard when you have various stages mixed together in one group. You may share the same disease, but not the same outcome.

Welthy

Judy,

I would absolutely attend. In fact, I am quite disappointed that there isn't a group near me since I am a widow and live with my 2 teenagers and 2 young grandkids. No adult in the house to discuss things with. I think it's great that you may start a group. You go girl!

God Bless,

Sharon

Judy,

As Donna said, I started up the first Lung Cancer Support Group here in Minnesota. We have been up and running for 8 years now. The first couple of years were slow going as far as membership goes. It takes a lot of work to get the word out. But with the help of Cancer Clinic's, Hospital's, ACS, ALA, and news papers and radio,it all comes together. All of that can be free advertising for your group.

We have two meetings a month. A day group that meets from 1 to 2:30p.m. and an evening group that meets from 6:00p.m. to 7:30p.m. The attendence averages from 10 to 18 people at a group. Our group is opened to lung cancer survivors and caregivers/family/friends.

Our day group seems to be more lung cancer survivors and our evening group is mostly mixed lcs and there caregivers.

If you want more information or if I can be of any help to you please feel free to PM me.

In Person Lung Cancer Support Groups are MUCH NEEDED! PM me and maybe we can exchange phone numbers and chat about it.

Best wishes.

My mom went to a number of LC support group meetings sponsored by Gilda's Club. It's a cancer support network started in the name of Gilda Radner, comedienne who died of ovarian ca. If there is not a Club in your area, check with the nearest one and see if you can talk to the facilitator and also see if they can send you any materials.

~Karen

Karen there are numerous cancer support groups in my area but none that are specific to Lung Cancer. Unless you just happen to run into another LC survivor at a general meeting then it all seems like a foreign language. I am wanting or at least thinking about starting one that is specifically for lung cancer survivors.