MY DAD WAS DIAGNOSED TODAY...

Guest cskreitzer

Guest cskreitzer

Hello,

After mentally preparing myself for years that this could happen, today is the day my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. He is 59 years old, a former smoker (he quit 3 years ago - exactly 1 year before my wedding day), and I love him so much.

My brother, sister, and I are all very scared, yet I am also optimistic! This site has helped me be more optimistic - so thank you. I have a good friend that has battled lung cancer and is doing well - and I know that he can be strong enough to fight this too! My dad is such a huge part of who I am, and I am not ready to think about life without him. I have so much I still want to share with him - this can't be it...and I know that he feels that way, too.

I'm going with him to the doctor tomorrow to learn more about his type, stage, treatment, etc., and in the meantime, am doing a lot of research and trying to get him into the BEST doctor in Chicago...This will be hard for me, being one of the only family-members in town, but I know I can help him get through this.

I'm glad there are support sites like this - but I also wish I didn't have to find it.

Keep me and my dad, Walt, in your prayers.

-Christine

27, Chicago, IL

Christine,

Welcome to our group. Like you said I am sorry you had the need to find us but so glad you did. If you have questions or just want to express your feelings and get some feedback, we are here. When you have more information please fill out your profile. That will keep you from having to rehash your dad's progress each time you post and let us help you a little better.

Again, welcome.

Nina

Hi, Christine, welcome to the LCSC!

It's great that you're going to the doc with your dad tomorrow (today in your time zone by the time you read this). That's an excellent idea for any office visit or consulatation where new information is likely to be discussed. You might also consider taking a small recorder along -- I've never heard of a doctor who objected. As Nina suggested, when you get the specifics of cell type, stage, planned treatment, etc., you can help us help you and your dad by including the details in a profile like you see at the bottom of our messages. Here's how to do it:

Click on My Profile above, scroll down to the Signature block, enter/update your information, then scroll down further, ensure Always attach my signature is marked Yes, and click Submit at the very bottom.

There are people in this community who have successfully faced just about any cancer challenge imaginable and are ready to help you and your dad every step of the way. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome to our little corner of the internet Christine. Please feel free to ask any questions. Someone here is sure to have an answer. Another good resource is Dr. West's site www.onctalk.com.

Dr. West is a primonent oncologist in Seattle who uses his website to help individuals understand treatment options, research and other issues. He also answers questions. It's one of the best (if not THE best) source of reliable information i've Found.

Let us know when you know more.

Susan

We are all happy to meet you, Christine, just wish it were under different circumstances. And you are right about this site. You will receive support, information, compassion, as well as laughs along the way. Yep, that's right, ya gotta keep some humor or you'll be doomed. And it IS possible, really. After your Profile is added our many 'experts' will be better able to answer questions and offer their own experiences for you.

You are lucky to have such a wonderful dad, and he is lucky to have you there for him. Sounds like you are going to be a great advocate for him.

Kasey

Hello Christine,

Welcome here but sorry you had to find us. We have all walked in your shoes either a caretaker or a victim to this monster :evil: So we know what you are going through.

Please add a profile to the bottom of your post so we can understand what your dads staging and treament is so far.

We are here for you 24/7. Please keep us posted on his progress.

Maryanne