I've NEVER heard this!!

Hello everyone!!

For the past few weeks my Mom has been doing so great. Her appetite has increased, no more nausea, very little pain and she is up and around. When I called my Dad a little while ago, the two of them were at Wild Oats picking up some groceries after doing some other shopping this morning. WOW!!! It's literally been months since Mom went out shopping so needless to say, everyone is on cloud nine. Ok, so to the point: Last night while talking to my Mom on the phone she told me that she has heard of many cancer patients who had an up-swing much like she is having right now before getting real bad and passing away. I've NEVER heard of this - have any of you???

Be Blessed,

Donna

I have never heard that one before and I personally know someone who died from it. every one is different but i would tell mom live life to the fullest and think of it a an every day event. DON"T LET THE CANCER RUN YOUR LIFE! YOU RUN YOUR LIFE!!!!

glad she is up and about and doing great. That is the most important thing right now in Life. Prayers and Hugs RandyW

Sounds like the "telephone" or "pass it on" game -- first someone makes a completely valid comment on the roller coaster aspects of cancer (we've had plenty of discussions on that), the story goes from one person to another without the benefit of any verification, and before long it's distorted and compressed to the version Donna's mom heard.

It's almost like...oops, sorry, almost forgot no political statements allowed... :P

Aloha,

Ned

I've never heard of such a thing. :roll: Tell your mom (from one lung cancer survivor to another)it's time to get on with LIFE and stop worring about death. LIFE is MUCH MORE FUN to deal with. :wink:

It's so easy for us LC survivors to think that way though. But, that statement is JUST NOT TRUE! Is this like the one, If you have sugery with lung cancer it will spread????? :roll::shock::wink:

HOG WASH! JUST PLAIN HOG WASH!

OK, others are saying they've never heard of it -- I have heard of it AND seen it....BUT this is not your situation!!!! The information you were given is stretched & off a bit. It's not just with cancer patients, it's with all patients who are terminal and on their "death bed". They are usually hours away from dying. When my grandpa was dying he was unconscious and suddenly started yelling at ME & telling me to stop hurting him! He hadn't spoken in days and when the men were trying to change his bedding, he yelled at ME. It was probably because I was the last person with him before he slipped into unconsciousness.

When my grandma was dying from congestive heart failure last year the hospice nurse had a meeting with our family and explained that some patients have been known to have this moment of clearness & moment of energy -- I'm talking MOMENT!! -- before passing. She explained that even though Grandma might be somewhat unconscious, she might wake up and have a normal conversation with us before she passes. She said that sometimes people are near death and some have been known to get up, clean the house for a bit, etc. and then climb back in bed and pass away hours later. But the hospice nurse said that it's usually very brief. The patient asks for food or something to drink after not eating for days....and the sad thing is that the family members all get their hopes up thinking a miracle has happened.

This does NOT sound like your mom!!!! =) Your mom sounds like she's feeling better and having a good day. Which could turn into a week or months or more. =) She sounds like she's has regained some energy and is fighting off the side effects naturally! I would say enjoy it & do something with her while she's feeling good. My mom had a great 5 weeks this summer - during her chemo break - and we lived it up. I am slowly learning that when she has these good times, I need to fill up her days with fun or things she really enjoys doing. =)

Yep, I agree. I've seen that "rally" in my Dad. He'd been bed ridden for 6 or seven days and not eating...suddenly one day I went to the nursing home, went to his room and found it empty. I ran to the nurses station and said "what have you done with my Daddy?" They said he's in the dining room having lunch. He was having a grand time, 36 hours later he was gone. But I don't think this is your mom's case here. In my experience it has been when someone is really close to crossing over and it's quite dramatic....

Prayers for your Mom's continued good days!

Lots of love & prayers for us all!

Joy

I have heard of that, too, like the last two posts mentioned. The calm before the storm or whatever. My mom claims it happened with my aunt years ago when she was dying from cancer in a hospital, but it was a few minutes of lucidness after being unconscious and bedridden for a long time.

Not out for a couple hour shopping trip like your mom.

I've heard of it but under different circumstances. No matter what I hear or read (something like that) somethings I just don't take any stock in it. Sounds like mom is feeling better and it is great she is doing thinks. Tell mom to enjoy life, keep going forward, one step and one day at a time. More power to mom!

I agree with others on the "rally," which is what I think your mom is referring to.

My mother had what I would call a rally. After 2 weeks in the hospital, no eating and blood counts in the tank, she was transferred to in-patient hospice.

Well, there she started to eat and was physically getting better (though her mind was gone) and then, pretty suddenly, she started to have pain and more pain meds and more disorientation and more pain, etc. Within a week of returning home to me, she was non-verbal and 5 days later she was gone.

But I don't think a rally is defined as someone who is as well as your mom is (shopping, etc.). I think a rally is more of a phenomena that is witnessed in a patient who is seemingly on death's door - just doing so poorly - and then seems to take a turn for the better and actually improves (maybe sits up, eats some, talks, walks a bit, etc.) and a few days later dies.

I could be wrong on this but that's the only rally I've heard of and your mom doesn't seem to be doing that.

She's just feeling scared; that's understandable. Give her a hug and tell her to enjoy her good health but not to be disappointed that she's staying that way - 'cause she's actually IMPROVING! :lol:

My sister-in-law's father was doing very poorly last fall with NSCLC. He felt too bad at Thanksgiving to have dinner or visit. it wasn't long after that that they took him off his treatment and he rallied for while. Christmas morning he came over to watch the grandkids open presents and seemed more like himself. He left us on Feb 22.

That said his "rally" was due to not fighting the side effects of chemo. I don't think it is the same as your mother's at all. He certainly didn't go shopping or anything like that--he just didn't lie in bed all day.

I think you can talke your mom's rally as a sign that she is feeling better! Horray!