Have questions about post op lobectomy

samar854

Please tell your sister to be patient with her healing. It does take a long time to heal and even then most of us still have symptoms from the surgery. I had my drainage tubes removed before I left the hospital and I sure was glad. Just looking at that thing is no fun. I used to call the tubes garden hoses. The soreness and numbness will be with you for awhile. It will get better, but you will be reminded that it is there. I had an upper right lobectory in July, 2005 and I still have some soreness and numbness. I don't notice it that much when I am busy, but at first it directed my movements and my life. Be kind and patient with yourself. You will get better. Be sure to walk daily, eat properly and drink plenty of water. Be sure to ask your doctor for pain medication when you need it. Hope this helps.

Carol

I can understand how your sister feels right now. When I had my left lung removed, I was very surprised how sore, tired and weak I was. I also was very breathless which can add to anyones anxiety level.

My suggestion is for her to take it slow. Be good to her self, try not to do too much. She has been through a major surgery and time will help her feel better. I promise that you do eventually start feeling better!

If she continues to have alot of anxiety, her doctor could prescribe her an anti-anxiety medication such as ativan to help relieve her symptoms.

I hope she is feeling better soon!!

Wendy

Hi Carol and Wendy,

Thank you for your quick reply. My sister Kim is sitting next to me and has read your replies.I have signed her up to this site so she can vent when necessary. We think the tube is causing a lot of the problem but she has had seven abdominal surgeries and says the pain is much worse and it's not being controlled by pain meds or xanax. Her surgeon doesn't seem interested in addressing the concerns and has her waiting 8 days after her discharge before seeing her to ascertain whether tube can be removed.

Did you have muscle spasms and burning sensations on the lobectomy side? She has a constricted feeling in the center of her chest periodically that happens with a "spell" for lack of a better word. She says everything on the inside constricts and she shakes and the pain level goes way up. She has constant discomfort under her breast. If any of this sounds familiar and/or normal we would appreciate your advice/thoughts. Thank you.

Sharon

also have cancer - Adnoid Cystic Carcinoma

With that kind of pain I would demand to see the doctor immediately or at the very least go to emergency. We are taught to follow doctors orders but doctors need to also pay attention to our concerns.

Carol

Sharon,

I had a right lower lobectomy in May. My tubes were removed before I came home. I had the constricted feeling pretty bad right after surgery. I was given the phone number for the nurses station at my release so when the dosage of pain meds wasn't working, I was able to call them. Kim needs to get the pain under control in order to heal more quickly. I would insisit to seeing or at least speaking to the surgeon. I paged mine once right after surgery when I started having vision problems. If the surgeon will not see or call Kim, I would go to the ER.

I hope that Kim can get some relief soon.

I had LOTS of the same things happen to me!!!! I am almost 3 years from surgery and STILL have pain associated with it!!!! I hope she recovers as well as I have.........still with pain ~ BUT a very doable pain. Hopefully when the tube is reomoved that will help. And BTW.........please tell her that things DO get better as time goes on!

Kasey

Honestly, I didn't really start feeling better until that tube was removed, and that was before I left the hospital. But, there must have been a good reason for leaving it in. I think it helps prevent collapsed lung by draining built up fluid, so apparently she is still at risk for that.

But, the pain is not acceptable. I think she should go to the ER or place a call to the surgeon. They can manage that pain, and being pain free speeds healing.

As for the things you feel going on inside, I remember feeling that way too. It felt like some fluttering was going on sometimes, and I was told it was just from things shifting around in there after surgery. It went away.

I have not had any long term problems with pain, but some people here have. In the short term though, I think that when that chest tube comes out, she will start feeling a lot better. I felt like that thing was sucking the life out of me!

Good luck,

Cindy

Thank you all for your support. I spoke with a nurse today who spoke with the doc and there is no other meds that they can give her without monitoring her heart and respiration. Makes sense - and tomorrow she gets the tube out so will see what happens then. I am making a list for her to take with her since I have been through all of this for the past 5 years. I am not impressed with her surgeons repoir with his patients. She should have had a visiting nurse to assess her condition at least.

Sharon

Sister of Kim

upper right lobectomy 10/9/07