Your Thoughts

Roger C

After reading this article yesterday, I was a little down. Ater giving it some thought, I said the research may be right. But I refuse to stick my head in the sand and let the cancer control me. Quality of life is so very important and I will try each and every day to live with Hope and positive attitude about the future.

A Positive Outlook Doesn’t Change Cancer Prognosis

As reported by BBC News. 2007 Oct 22

Keeping an upbeat attitude is important to many people during cancer treatment, but it won’t help them fight the cancer or improve their odds of survival, according to a recent study. Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania followed 1000 patients with head and neck cancer and found that high spirits had no bearing on the state of the disease. Patients should not be discouraged from keeping an optimistic outlook or seeking emotional support from groups or counseling. These coping strategies can help cancer patients deal with the rigors of treatment and the emotional turmoil of having cancer, which can help them maintain a better quality of life. The study offers a bit of relief for people who don’t feel optimistic while being treated for cancer. Patients are often encouraged to stay positive and told that having a fighting spirit will help their bodies fight the disease. The study shows that this is not the case, and they are not more likely to die if they feel anxious and discouraged during treatment. A positive attitude may help patients return to their normal daily life after cancer treatment finishes, but a negative attitude won’t hurt their chances of surviving the disease.

What are your thoughts?

It's soooo easy to think the worst and to let the cancer run your life. You DO NEED some POSITIVE in your life at this time. I don't know if it will prolong anyone's life, but it sure makes it a LOT easier to live with this beast when you have a positive attitude.

I always had positive around me and HOPE when I went through my beginning days of my journey. It just PLAN HELPED!

Christine has posted in the INSPRIATION Forum about a lecture that was on Ophra on Monday. PLEASE go look at these. These people are cancer survivors and they are living with there cancer and they OFFER HOPE in a VERY POSITIVE WAY!

Here's one of the websites: The lecture as seen on Oprah is also on You Tube. This link should work for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0aO64aKqek

Try HARD not to read the sad and negative stuff. Try to surround yourself with positive and uplifting things.

I think I want to see their data. They followed 1,000 patients with head and neck cancer for how long, at what stage, do aggressive brain tumors figure in here, how many variables in cancer type, etc?? Yes, many people with a good attitude die anyway, but I don't think this study proves much.

Keep smiling Roger.

I say don't let the scientist and the book worms get ya Down. As mocha says, "Poop On them!!!" Have fun and dance on the tables whenever possible.

"Roger C" A Positive Outlook Doesn’t Change Cancer Prognosis...BBC News. 2007 Oct 22

Hogwash, IMHO. It would be interesting to know who the "researchers" were and to see the full report. And I wonder if the BBC story is an accurate summary of the report. I'm not persuaded.

Connie, thanks for the YouTube link. That was really something.

Aloha,

Ned

Here is another piece I just finished reading also. Which I think is a bunch of nonsense.

Lung Cancer Survival Hasn’t Improved, Despite Increased Spending

As Reported by HealthDay News. 2007 Oct 23

The survival time of a person diagnosed with lung cancer has not changed significantly since the 1970s, although the cost of treating such a patient has increased by $20,000 per patient. The 1 year survival rate of lung cancer patients has increased 5% since the late 1970s and the 5 year survival rate has remained the same at around 16%. The cost of keeping a lung cancer patient alive can be extremely high. For a patient with local disease, the cost of a year of life is around $143,000. If the patient has metastatic disease, the cost of 1 year of treatment rises to almost $2 million. A representative of the American Lung Association contends that the cost of treating lung cancer is no greater than any other cancer. However, lung cancer is largely preventative and greater government spending on the prevention of smoking would lower the occurrence of lung cancer and subsequently, the cost of treating the disease.

Both articles I mention are found in:

http://www.oncologystat.com/index.html

You have GOT TO STOP READING THAT CRAP!! PLEASE???

I've been a survivor for 12 years and I read that same crap 12 years ago. I also know that stats are 5 to 7 years behind on there data. It takes 5+ years to put all that stuff together, and by the time they print it, it's totally outdated. New drugs and treatments come down the tube every day.

WE BEG PEOPLE NOT TO READ THAT STUFF! It only makes you feel worse. PLEASE ROGER STOP READING THAT. You need to hear the POSITIVES NOT THE NEGATIVES.

We all know what the neagatives side of ALL cancers are, but there are a LOT OF POSITIVES HERE and a LOT OF SURVIVORS TOO!!! Your a survivor my friend!

Today is a GREAT DAY TO BE ALIVE! :wink:

Connie, you are absolutely right, I shouldn't be reading this crap. Sometimes it's hard because it stares you in the face. The info. comes from a very good site that I found as an off shoot to OncTalk. It does have a lot of good info. and maybe crap also. I check both sites frequently for latest updates. You are one of the first persons that really gave me hope on this site. Boy 12 years, truly inspirational. I do believe I am a survivor also. Two years in Feb. My primary doctor told me recently that I was doing good and When he first got all the reports, he would have given me 6 months. Yes, we all know the bad about cancer and if I offended anyone my my post, I didn't mean too. A lot of great people on this site and a whole bunch of SURVIVORS.

Roger my friend, no one is offened. We just know waht your going through and we want to help you in EVERY way that we can to make this journey doable for you.

Do you feel down after you read that stuff? I know I use too! There's even some stuff here on the board that makes me sad, but then if that's the case I skip over it until I'm ready. Not to much bothers me anymore, but I know by reading that stuff it DOES affect our attitudes. It would be like hanging out at a funeral home. :shock::roll::P Wouldn't want to do that either.

It's time to LIVE YOUR LIFE and TAKE BACK CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE! POSITIVE ATTITUDE DOES make this journey a LOT easier on US!! HONEST!

Just because that stuff is out there, doesn't mean you have to read it! :wink:

Elieen, if you go to the FRONT PAGE (LCSC Fourm INDEX) where all the FORUMS listed are: Introduce yourself forum, the My Story Forum, General Forum, etc. etc. etc. ...... Scroll down and you will see the INSPIRATIONAL (forum)

I sent you a PM. Please check your inbox.

Elieen, click on the website below.

Here's one of the websites: The lecture as seen on Oprah is also on You Tube. This link should work for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0aO64aKqek

Hi Roger, Have you ever read those studies about how powerful placebos can be? Placebos have been studied for at least 50 years, and it has been proven w.o. a doubt that placebos work as well as traditional medicine.

So if that's not proof of the power of positive thinking, then I don't know what is.

You can read that CRAP Roger, but just don't believe it. Only God knows what our future will be.

Barb

No offense taken here Roger, but everyone's right - don't read it, don't even think about.

I think those "researchers" need to use their energies on something a little more worthwhile, what a waste of time and money....their parents are probably very proud that they spent good money for the education that spawned this report.

Geri

When I was first diagnosed, I went online. I read that Stage IIIb was like a "death sentence". After that, for a while I stopped looking online. I eventually started looking again. Now, being a survivor for over a year and a half, I have found this site and others that give tremendous positive support. I've learned there are so many Stage IV survivors!

I know it's hard to stop reading the negatives, but I think that a positive attitude, and being "hopeful" makes a huge difference! I agree with everyone else here, try not to read that stuff!

That YouTube video was amazing, thank you, Connie.

-Elyse

[/i]

Just wanted to thanks all that has responded to this post. Maybe that is what I was looking for was feed back I these articles. I feel in my heart that they are crap. One has to maintain a positive attitude with this disease no ands, if or but about it. Live life to the fullest each and everyday. Wishing everyone the very best.

• 3 weeks later...