Checking In !

daggiesmom

Hi everyone. It's been sooo long since I've posted here. So much has gone on. I've been trying to lead as normal a life as possible. Frankly, I was getting a little down about my physical condition. In Oct. of 06 I was operated on to correct a hole in my chest that was created by a hospital borne bacteria that I caught in Dec. of 05. That infection has given me trouble ever since. Every day since last October my wound in my back has to be dressed (my husband does this every morning.) This is a constant reminder of what happened to me, it is a total drag. So, now they're planning to do an operation in January to permanently close the hole in my chest and close the drainage hole that the doctor had to create in October of 06. So I'm waiting for this to happen in January. I am quite angry about getting this infection in the first place. I guess I was naive in thinking that hospitals are clean places. I have since learned that there are many, many infections acquired in hospitals. Someone I know said the best way to avoid infections is to stay out of the hospital! I do see the point, but still feel badly about that comment. Once you're a cancer survivor, staying out of the hospital becomes a true challenge (at least for me). And this comment came from someone studying to be a nurse. Also, the surgeon who is going to do the operation keeps reminding me that this hopital cured my cancer, and, I guess therefore I shouldn't be too upset about this bacterial infection. His life hasn't been turned upside down!

So that's what has been going on with me. I've been reading the posts when I can and have been praying for everyone. Sorry I've been among the missing for so long.

Joanie

Joanie,

Glad to see your posting.

Yes, it is hard to fight for a sickness

while you are catching an infection in the

hospital that should take care of you.

In Quebec so many deaths with the c-difficile

in hospital that each day a report is done

on the news about it.

Wishing you the best for your operation.

Please make a big poster for your door

this time.

Hugs

Jackie

Hi Joanie,

It is good hearing from you and that you are on the mend. As others including you have mentioned, we have enough problems without having to worry about picking up infections in or from the hospitals. This latest MRSA scare may help by focusing on this issue but it doesn't do anything for the folks already affected.

Good luck and best wishes for your treatment for this . Our prayers are with you.

John

First of all Joanie it is SOOOOO GOOD TO SEE YOU!

You have been through the mill over the last few months. ((((JOANIE)))) I can relate! I just feel bad that you have had to go through all this.

My prayers are with you during your surgery. I too am headed back to surgery in a couple of weeks. I know your not looking forward to this anymore then I am, BUT WE CAN DO THIS!

Stay strong and PLEASE keep us posted as to how things go for you.

If I don't talk to you before the Holiday, have a Very Merry Christmas and a HAPPY & HEALTHY NEW YEAR!

Joanie,

I have thought about you often. You are such a fighter and have always been an inspiration to me. You have always had such a positive attitude in spite of whatever life threw your way. However, I have to say add my list to the bandwagon of those angered by infections caught while in hospitals.

During Mike's surgery to have his lung removed , back in 2001, his surgeon quickly saw the cause of a cough he had been plagued with since his previous bronchoscopy. He had a staph infection that was all over the place and even on his diaphragm.. so much so that part of his diaphragm had to be removed. It took calling in the infectuos drug team, a few extra days in ICU and a shi_ load of antibiotics to take when he came home. They were able to clear it up.

I went to the doctor last year with venous ulcers on my legs. The wound care doctor biopsied one of them and came up with MRSA. Fortunately , it had not entered my system and he said I had most likely picked it up being in the hospital with Mike.. Scary and I was fortunate that my wounds were healed before it went systemic. I wasn't familiar with MRSA , at the time, but I know he was concerned enough to call me at home to give me the biopsy report and to stress that I should seek help immediately if I were to experience certain symptoms. Scary , scary thoughts.... I want to believe these cases are the exception and not the rule. Hospitals do a lot of good and I will be praying they help you. Take care.

Love,

Sue