Began Alimta Chemo Yesterday

Michael Lewis

After more than three years waiting for the "other shoe to drop" I began chemo with Alimta yesterday. My cancer is growing, albeit slowly, and I'm experiencing pain which is pretty well controlled with morphine and vicodin. Since I was largely asymtomatic since being diagnosed in Jan, 2004, I'm grateful for the slow growth of the disease and the wonderful time with family and friends. In fact, to date, the worst troubles have come first from surgery in 2004 and chemo in 2005.

Recovery from the surgery was/is a long process and I attribute troubles with Cisplatin/Gemcitabine chemo mostly to the massive steroids received.

I have to say that I experienced some anticipatory nausea when entering the chemo floor for the first time in nearly three years, but the infusion went well and I returned home tired and very hungry. Today, I feel well and will resume normal activities. I have read many negative comments on side effects with this drug, but so far, am experiencing none. Now we wait for future test results and scans.

I understand how the drug works, and look forward to good results. I do understand that it's a very expensive item, but Medicare does cover. Does anyone know what treatment with this drug actually costs?

I will update if I experience side effects, but, so far, so good!

Michael Lewis

Seattle

First of all to the important things......CONGRATS on becoming a grandfather. Waiting for that arrival will keep you focused and in fighting mode for sure.

Next ~ I'm sorry that you've heard the 'other shoe' drop, but ya know what we do now???? We pick BOTH of them up, put them back on our feet and forge ahead. Good luck with the tx. It's been known to beat back the LC in many, many cases. Please keep us updated as you move forward.

Kasey

Hi, Michael:

Happy things are going well with the Alimta so far. That drug is probably in the future for a lot of us, so I hope you'll keep those updates coming!

I don't know what Alimta costs. Do you think it could be more expensive than Avastin? According to my quarterly Medicare summaries, the "Amount Charged" for each dose of Avastin (not counting the saline and infusion charges) was $10080, reduced to a "Medicare Approved" $6825. Of that figure, Medicare paid 80% and Tricare for Life (military retiree) paid the remaining 20%. Multiply that by 18 treatments and the total is getting up there. The second most expensive item was the Neulasta injection, which I had 6 times for $3656 ($2164) per shot. So I guess we're getting our money's worth.

Aloha,

Ned

Michael -

I have been on Alimta for 7 cycles now and have been stable!! The cost for me from the Cleveland Clinic was $19,000+ per infusion plus the cost of the saline, the room, etc. My insurance pays 100% after I pay the first $1000.00 in the beginning of the year.

Hope you have lots of success on Alimta. It does cause fatigue and SOB, but mine has been tolerable. Doc says it can be used like Avastin, as a maintenance chemo.

Good luck - keep us posted.

Patti B.

• 4 months later...

Michael:

Sorry your cancer is growing (I'm in same boat so I know how you feel) but it sure looks like you're going to make it to first goal (birth of grandchild) and then you can set a new goal :) (speaking from experience) and next thing I knew, well, I was just too busy to die! :lol::lol:

Seriously though, I do hope that the Alimta works for you, and in the meantime am wondering what kind of lung cancer do you have? (adenocarcinoma, squamous cell, BAC, large cell, mesothelioma, etc.)

Carole

Hi Michael. So nice to hear how well you have done for so long. I just started Alitma last week. It wasn't so bad I don't think. I ditched the anti-nausea stuff pretty quick because I found that harder to get off of during 1st line chemo. I believe first treatment caused me some fever, fatigue/groggy and possibly SOB. But overall way less trouble than first line treatments. So I hope it just continues that way.

The price tag was on the bag and my chemo nurse told me it was $3,000. So that would just be the cost of the drug. And that's in our valuable Canadian $'s of course! So all these other high quotes here include all the other stuff in supporting that chemo visit...those appear to really add up!

I wish you continued good health and happiness

Sandra-from across the water!

I, too, am on Medicare (through Kaiser's Medicare Advantage program) and just checked my most recent statement of account, which shows that Kaiser was charged $7025.48 for my first infusion. It also shows that my copay was $684.63. but I was told the day of the infusion that I am to contact oncology rep re this as it will be adjusted downward drastically (I can't recall amount of adjustment or reason for adjustment, but will post info here as soon as I've contacted them).

I, too, don't understand the reason for the varying costs (other than Canada's :( ) since we have all been having the same 10 mg. injection. All that is clear to me at this point is that once again the pharmaceuticals win (except in Canada where the government negotiates price ceilings, which we ought to be doing here in the US also if our politicians weren't bought and paid for!!).

Carole