ARRRRGHHH!

So, George had his second dose of chemo today. Our dotor is out on a family emergency so we saw a PA. I have finally convinced George, in large part because of the posts on this and other sites, that this can be fought. Well, the PA says something about the fatigue being worse by the 5th and 6th rounds of chemo and George says he is only getting 3 and than having the PET scan redone to evaluate for surgery. The PA than proceeds to tell us that the cancer is "incurable" (he obviously doesn't know about this site)and his chances of having surgery are less than 50%! All this is completely new to us! It's not even close to what the doctor has said! Now what?? I was shocked to say the least and now I am just pissed. Thankfully George didn't buy what he was saying either. They tried to schedule us with him again in 2 weeks but I said "no". Our doctor is booked so we're seeing another PA prior to his next chemo round. Do I even bother broaching the subject with her or should I hust wait until we see the oncologist the following week? Sorry to vent but I can't believe the guy and how non-chalant he was!

Lisa

Even tho. the Onc. may be fine, it looks to me as tho. his office staff aren't very well trained or just have a great need to appear to know more than they do. Surely this isn't the only Onc. or Onc. group in town. I'd be looking now for another one.

Muriel

Lisa,

The PA may have assumed that the doctor told you this information and may not be familiar enough with your husband's case. Ask questions to whoever you see next because it looks like you need clarification for your own peace of mind. Write them down as you think of them so you are prepared. Read the profiles on this board. They are very helpful for someone new to learn the ropes.

You can also access our good Dr. West at onctalk.com to ask questions. He is an oncologist with a specialty in lung cancer and a great human being. You will then have a professional take on this issue and be even better prepared with questions.

Best of luck with the NEXT visit. :)

Welthy

I would trust an Oncologist over a Physicians ASSISTANT any day of the week!!! PA's know almost nothing compared to Doctors!

Hi all-

So, now that I've calmed down.. :wink: I do think the PA was just spouting standard protocol mumbo jumbo and, as you said Welthy, isn't as familiar with my husband's case as he makes himself out to be. Oddly (and fortunately) George was more upset by the fact that he wasn't a doctor and making those statements than by what he actually said. He thinks like you do Randy! The word "incurable" never even came out of the onc's mouth when he told us the diagnosis. It was just a little disconcerting because I know this is bad but there is a lot of good mixed in and we are choosing to focus on that part.

Thank you all for your support and advice- this site has been a godsend during this ordeal...

Lisa

Lisa-

I would call the onc and tell him what the PA said!! I fired a PA once because I didn't like something she told me, and my onc was just as mad as I was!!! My new PA is on the same page as the onc she works under and it is so much better.

You have to be your husband's advocate - thats just the way it is, unfortunately. I think sometimes we forget that they work for us!!! If you don't want to hear doom and gloom, they need to respect that. Besides, statistics are mostly a bunch of outdated crap!!

Wish you the best of luck it sure is unfortunate that you have to go thru this along with everything else!! Please keep us updated!!

Hugs - Patti B.