Dad has Lung Cancer

Debz

Hi,my name is Debbie,I am in NJ,My dad`age 64 was diagnosed with Lung Cancer in April 2007,he has 2 nodes in his right lung removed waited 6 months to do chemo,did his chemo but it didn't work.He now has secondary bone cancer,possibility it has gone to his brain,the MRI done on Thursday,was inconclusive,Friday I signed off on a Lower Lumbar Puncture,we are still waiting for results.I am one of 4 children ,I am the oldest I am only 35 yrs old and am losing my dad,and it is very hard!

Hi - I am so sorry you need to be here. My Dad has been fighting this horrible disease since 12-2006. If you need to talk or have any questions - just let me know. Everyone here is wonderful about answering questions and giving amazing support. - Dina

Hi Debbie,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. You have come to a great place here. There are many people here dealing with lung cancer successfully, and you have every reason to be hopeful that there is treatment out there that can manage your Dad's cancer. I also am in New Jersey, and we are seeing a great group of doctor's in East Brunswick. My guy Hank is stage lV, but we are treating it as a chronic disease, and hoping for management and Lungevity! Don't give up hope Debbie, try to stay as positive as you can. Come here for support and answers to your questions. You will find what you need here.

I wish you all the best,

Gail

Im so sorry to hear about your Dad. My mom-mom was the same age when she was diagnosed, but by then it had already spread to her brain, by the time we found out the only thing we could do was make her comfortable. There are never enough answers to ease your mind, but know that there are people you can lean on for support....

Jackie

Hi Debbie and welcome

I am sorry you had need to find a site such as this but very glad you joined us. You will find so much help, support, concern and care here as well as hope....

Please let us know how we can help you and know that we will do our best..

Warmly

Christine

I am so sorry you and your dad are going thru this horrible disease. My mother was diagnosed in February and is 2 weeks away from being done with concurrent radiation and chemo. I am 36 and totally understand what you are feeling. I am thinking of you and your family.

Hi Debbie-

So sorry about your dad's diagnosis. I am however glad that you found us. Theres alot of hope and inspiration here. Read some of the profiles of people here and that will give you lots of hope!!

Please let us know what we can do to help you with this journey.

Hugs - Patti B.

Thank You for the warm welcome,I have been reading some of the profiles and it does give me hiope. I was at the hospital today,it was a bad day today,dad had to be cathaterized,he had no stregnth to walk,he has StageIV Lung Cancer,the doctors said it is in his brain from what they have seen,they are just waiting for the medical proof,He starts radiation tomorrow at the base of his skull to try and shrink a tumor that is pressing on his nerve endings for his eye,hopefully it will work.

Hi Debbie and welcome.

Glad to hear that they have something started to help your dad out with mobility and comfort.

Stage IV isn't an instant death sentence!! There are many treatment options and many on here who've survived and thrived even with that diagnosis.

Let us know how we can help you...that's what we're here for!!

Well,looks like there will not be any radiation on the base of dads skull,the radiologist called and said dad was in too much pain trying to lay flat on his back,and he was pretty combative,so it will not be done,the doctors say it is too much pain for him. They have found a bedsore that had to be treated in the OR,was about 20 minutes to clean it. The bedsore thing has me mad as hell,I don't understand why it wasn't treated or even had anything said about it before it got to where it needed debriment!The doc informed us,dads skull is full of cancer,they told us very poor prognosis.

Dads doctors suggested InPatient Hospice,the family did some research and I have since moved him to Community Medical Center in Toms River NJ. He got there last night and I was there to meet him,he was in alot of pain and needed to be situated quickly and his pain IV be hooked up. I was there again this morning,he was asleep the whole time,he was on his side off of the bedsore. I will call the nurses station and see how he is doing.

Hi, Deb.

Sorry you're having to go through this, but based on your description of not only how far along he is, but the incredible pain he's in, I think you're Hospice decision was definitely the right way to go--despite how very difficult I know that it must be for you.

Carole