PET Scan Results

Re PET/CT scan of 04/29/08:

1. Good News: No metastasis to bones, brain, liver or adrenal;and still only one tumor in lungs.

2. Bad News: Hoped for central necrosis of original tumor now a dead end (SUV increased from 9 to 13) and tumor has now increased in size to 5 cm. (from 4 cm. in 03/08 and 3 cm. in 01/08; and 02 cm. in 10/07).

3. More Bad News: Number, size and SUV of pre-tracheal and mediastinal lymph nodes has increased; and right hilar lymph nodes are now showing physiological activity again.

All of this indicates that the Tarceva is not working; and because I am squamous cell NSCLC, neither Avastin nor Nexavar are likely options; and I have already had taxotere (although I had to stop before completion due to complications). At this point, I'm left with the option of Alimta, which only has a 25% chance of slowing down (let alone stopping) progression.

On the flip side, I am still not suffering from pain or extreme weakness or fatigue, and since distant metastasis is still waiting in the wings, it is my "official position" that my best bet is to continue DANCING IN THE STREETS! :lol:

Carole

Carole,

Congrats on the good news (No mets!). That is GREAT NEWS! Sorry the Taxotere isn't working, but if Alimta doesn't work for you (it didn't work for me) there are still many other drugs out there to try. Keep up the good attitude and I'll come join you dancing in the streets! You rock girl!

God Bless,

Sharon

Thanks to all for joining me in dancing. :D

I'm not so unrealistic as to not realize the results do not bode well in the long run, but (1) a short run is better than no run at all; and (B) dancing (in the streets or otherwise :D) sure beats the alternative! :lol:

I see my med onc on Monday, and unless something changes at that appt., I will begin the Alimta on Wednesday.

Again my thanks to all,

Carole

Hi Carole. You are an inspiration. I too love to dance but can't at the moment due to pain. I saw your post to me, thank you for that. So I think as well as the virtual pub going here we need to invent a virtual dance floor for us ladies who like to have fun! We should start up a new group called the Altima sisters maybe...there are a few other fun gals on that drug as well. Continued best wishes to you.

good morning Carol. I LIKE it. Nothing like a good dance song to get your blood going in the morning. Let's see what other fun girls we can recruit....

(actually what really leaped in to my brain was ..."I'm about to lose control and I think I like it..like it.." you can bop pretty good to that one as well...who sings that?)

Hope you have a great day

Sandra

Let's not consider it "losing control" but "out of control" and I definitely liked that when I was a teenager! LOL

I, too, have problems with "regular" dancing these days (stress fractures from Prednisone-induced osteoporosis) so now most of my dancing is while sitting (with my "moves" from the waist up ).

But in the meantime, I'm determined to keep having fun and would love to be a member of the Alimta Sisters! :lol:

I'll have my first Alimta treatment tomorrow afternoon and will report in re side effects within 48 hours thereafter. In the meantime, maybe Patti and others can fill us in as to what to expect?

Carole

Well, whatever the side effects are, we are tough ladies and we can handle it. I have always said they can tell you what side effects you might experience, but that doesn't mean you are going to. The mind is a very powerful tool...and our minds are particularly strong...don't you think?

I am not for sure going on Altima...but maybe, and I just got side effects mailed to me....no covering letter...nothing...so I just tucked that away for future reference. Low chance of hair loss though, so that is good, mine is just starting to look human/lady like, although it does need a color correction!!

And when it comes to dancing...I do think it is ok to lose control and have fun...not with LC for sure...we need to be in control and us tough ladies are for sure.....tell us what we need to do and cope with and we will!!! Just give us a few days to adjust to whatever and we are good. But hey we need to keep on having fun and I big time like fun.

I really like your attitude girl...

Fondly

Sandra