Mom just diagnosed

Teri

Hi all - My 76 year old mom was diagnosed with extensive sclc with 3 brain mets about three weeks ago. She is currently halfway thru radiation for the mets. I've been lurking here for awhile and this is a wonderful message board. The docs do not want to start chemo until the brain radiation is finished. Does this sound right to you or should she be starting chemo immediately. Thanks for any advice. Teri

Teri-

Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. You will find a lot of help and support here.

I cannot help you with your specific questions as I have never done radiation. Just wanted to welcome you and send positive vibes for your mom.

Hugs - Patti B

Hi Teri and sorry you need to be here. I am not sure if that is right or not, but I am sure her doctors are good and know what they are doing. You should always ask them why and if there are alternate approaches to consider. Please know there is always hope. Am thinking of you and your mom.

Hi Teri and welcome. I'm sorry you had to find us :wink: but glad you did.

We were told that when you irradiate the brain it opens up the blood/brain barrier and would let chemo through to the brain which would be bad. Sounds right that she has to wait.

Hi Teri,

Welcome! My mom (61) has SCLC too and after her initial treatment it spread to one met in the brain. So our order is different, but stories are similar. Please see my mom's info below - we just got the great news that the intensive treatments worked and the tumors show no life.

Praying for the same for your mom. Keep us posted.

Love,

Nicole

Hi Teri,

My dad was just diagnosed with SCLC - ED on May 6th of this year. He was admitted to the hospital two days later for pain management. Dad had to wait a day because the MRI slots were full. He had a brain and spine MRI and then was taken for radiation treatment afterwards on Friday. The oncs were talking about starting chemo before radiation ended but decided against it since the radiologist oncologist was radiating a large area. He has completed six radiation treatments and has four more to go. Dad will start chemo on May 27th.

Kristi

Hi and welcome to a wonderful place full of helpful and inspiring stories and people

If you read my Mom's profile you will see-she also was DX 22 months ago with Ext Small Cell-It has been a rough road @ times but she is still here and going strong.

Please PM me if you need any information.

Read your Mom all the positive stories from this site-that is what kept

my Mom and I going in the very beginning.

Dar

• 3 months later...

Hi and thanks for asking. My mom passed on June 10th, about 6 weeks from initial diagnosis. She was doing good and all of a sudden went downhill very quickly and died 4 days later. She started talking very strangely near the end so we think the radiation didn't work on the brain mets. I still lurk on this especially in the grief section. Teri