The Next Step

Tom is off to Chemo round 6 tomorrow. He just mentioned today that so far through this whole process he has not been nervous about anything until now. Supposedly they are going to switch the chemo that he gets to something other than the carbo/taxol. This is the first I have heard of it.

I know he will be getting weekly sessions now versus every 3 weeks. I was under the assumption that he would continue on the same mix as it was working so well.

Does going into radiation change all that? Will the carbo/taxol not work as well in conjunction with chemo? Will it make him more toxic and that's why they are changing it up? I won't find out until tomorrow what it was or is changed to or if Tom misunderstood when they said he would be getting smaller doses.

Has anyone else been on carbo/taxol + radiation? Can anyone provide a little insight?

Denise

Hi, Denise. I haven't had radiation myself, but from what I understand, when you do chemo and radiation together they tend to enhance each other, which of course is good, but it also can increase side effects, especially fatigue. So they give a weaker chemo dose weekly instead of the full strength dose every 3 weeks -- that is designed to smooth out the chemo ups and downs so the body is better able to handle the radiation. I believe it's common for Taxol/Carbo to be given in this manner in combination with radiaton, so if Tom's mix is being changed rather than just reduced in strength, it could be for another reason. Maybe someone who's actually done this will chime in.

Anyway, sounds like Tom is doing quite well! Aloha,

Ned

Denise,

I read your posting concerning the chemotherapy and the radiation.

Bill, who was age 74 when originally diagnosed with Stage IIIB NSCLC, was aggressively treated with carboplatin/taxol and concurrent radiation for 7 weeks.

He had little or no side effects, and it resulted in 50 percent shrinkage of tumors and lymph nodes. That occurred in December 2004.

Since that time, he has had other chemo regimens, and separate radiations (to shoulder, neck, and has had WBR).

He is presently receiving carboplatin/taxol/Avastin, and although a bit tired, he still manages to keep active (albeit, takes naps).

I send all good thoughts for a very good outcome.

Barbara

Denise-

Its my understanding you can't have more than 5 or 6 cycles of carbo/taxol (or at least thats what they told me). Stuff is so toxic you can't stay on it forever.

Whatever the reason, I wish him tons of luck and can't wait to hear that he has done some more cancer butt-kicking!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Denise,

I think Ned is correct, but you need to talk to the doctor's to find out what is going on. Most doctor's don't think going beyond six rounds of carbo/taxol is effective, but my husband did eight cycles every three weeks because it was still working for him. He did have concurrent radiation during his taxotere/gemzar cycles too, but he only had 15 rads. Maybe it depends on his counts and how well he is fairing with the chemo overall. Check with the doc. No good guessing what is going on.

Welthy

Thanks everyone. Here's the scoop.

We went to get chemo this morning and it turned out they wanted him to see the Onc first to go over the new plan. He did not get chemo today after all as they are going to go ahead with the full dose of the Carbo/Taxol so he will only have to get 2 doses through the 7 weeks of radiation. He is getting such a good response to it so they don’t want to change it. He will have the first of the radiation treatments tomorrow but will not do chemo until Monday. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that he can handle it. So far he is doing fabulous and all his counts are good. He said again today if he didn’t know he was sick he’d be healthy. :) He still does not look or act sick so I think maintaining a good positive attitude is helping him get by.

Denise

I LOVE this news, Denise. It sounds terrific!

Out here in Metropolitan New Jersey, I am continuing thoughts and vibes for continuing good results. There is no reason to believe otherwise (that is the thinking that got Bill through). :D

Barbara :D

Hi Denise,

My dad was going to go thru radiation and chemo together at first. The rad onc wanted him to wait on the chemo because the rad onc would have had to back off from the radiation. My dad finished his radiation a week ago and started chemo this week. Since Dad has SCLC, the oncologist is using Carboplatin/VP-16.

Kristi

Hi, Denise.

It's a very good sign that they believe his overall health to be good enough for him to undergo concurrent chemo and radiation. This is a tough program he's signed up for, but it's also the top "time-buyer," which is always the #1 goal. :lol:

Because it's so aggressive, however, you might as well take it for granted that there will be lots of ups and downs in the weeks to come. Definitely worth it in the long run though (to which I can personally attest).

Hang in there!

Carole