being Nosy once again

shellit74

So we all post here regualrly,but sometimes know little outside of here about each other,so here is my Getting to know you!

What do/did for a living (as a Job) either now(cargiver) or before(surviror) or if you are still working great!

and If you went to college... are you doing/did you do what you went to college for

Ok... So I am currently staying home with the kids for the summer... things got to nuts when Dad got sick/passed away in April. I had been working in a child care center as a preschool teacher. I just had an interview on Monday for another job as a teacher at a different center....

This is NOT what I went to school for... I went to college at UW-La Crosse for 2 yrs, started out as a sports management/broadcasting major then switched to sociology. Had to have surgery on my knee and then when i was all better decided to go to the tech school there and i graduated with a degree in Health Unit Coordinating... bascially this is a person who works in an inpatient setting (hospital) who trascribes MD orders, makes appts., schedules tests (blood , xrays) and that type of stuff... but there is a pharmacy background to it too, so after a year doing that I transfered to the Pharmacy and worked in the Cancer Center Pharmacy for 3yrs before moving back home to Oshkosh.

ok wow I am done.. who's next

I started out with a BA in Sociology (U of Minnesota-Twin Cities), planning to go to grad school for an MSW. Never happened. Got married, had 3 kids, then went to grad. school (schools, really, UW-Madison, U. of Pittsburg, and Western Michigan U.) and got a Masters and most of the credits for a doctorate in Educ. Evaluation, Measurement, and Statistics. Got tired of grad school and couldn't find a dissertation topic I could live with, so I quit. Our oldest was about to start college then and it seemed like a good time to start earning money.

I worked as a research analyst on an infant mental health project in Kalamazoo for about 5 years and then we moved to the Wash. DC area and I was the program evaluator for the National Geographic Society's Geography Education Program. The older I became, the less patient I was with DC area traffic and hour long commutes, so I left NGS and continued to do the same job as a consultant from my home. The geography educ. program was 12 years old and really not in need of any more evaluation, so I retired in the fall of 2000.

Muriel

Well I had quit HS at the age of 16. I signed up for Beauty School and became a Cosmetologist. I worked at that for about 10 years until I developed allergies and could no longer be in that environment. I then worked as switchboard operator at a big Hotel and moved on to be a receptionist at an Electronics company. Had a short stint of unemployment when getting divorced. I then moved to the burbs and worked as a switchboard/receptionist at a car dealership which is where I met my Tom. Did that for 2 years and then stayed home for 5 and did daycare from my home.

As the kids got older and families moved I did not add more kids but let it trickle away. I then moved on to manufacturing making fluorescent lighting ballasts and did that for approx 5 years. Got caught in the 3rd round of layoffs. Another stint with unemployment in which time I earned me GED and then back to work as a service receptionist at a Jaguar delearship for a year.

That is the point where Tom and I got sick about the same time. He ended up with his quad bypass and I had some minor surgery as well. Back to approx 6 months of unemployment and then I started where I am today. 9/2 will mark my 4 yr anniversary here.

All done

Denise

Graduated from a French convent school. I know how to answer a weddding invitation (not needed any more with the return cards), how to pour tea and what length glove to wear with what outfit.

Didn't go to college, my mother thought all I needed was a rich husband. So I went to work at the telephone company as a service rep.

Married at 19, divorced at 22 with 2 small children.

Ok, so now work is serious, not just for buying cashmere sweaters and scarab bracelets.

Go back to tel. co and get promoted to service analyst. Next a small mfg. company where I get into computers and the rest is history. Was a dp manager (term is no longer used). Then to IBM as a marketing rep (the only one without college).

Met Earl at IBM and we both left in 1981 and started our computer consulting business. For all intent and purpose, I closed the corporation after Earl died but I still do some consulting for some of our customers.

I now work part time in another small mfg company as their 'accounting' dept. It is a very nice retirement job - paid benefits, vacation, holiday and sick time.

I joke and say I work so that I can play and if I didn't work I would have more time to play and less play $$$$.

Hi

I took secretarial courses in high school and HAD to take a Civil Service test and was aceepted at the VA Medical Center as a ward secretary. It is a mental hospital and I worked on a locked maximum security ward for many years, then the Chief of Payroll asked me to apply for a job there. In the meantime, took some college courses in medical and surgical terminology and some psychology courses.

Worked in Payroll for several years and then became the Chief, Fiancial Officers secretary. He gave me OJT and I became the first Budget Analyst ever at that hospital to NOT have an accountants degree. I was also his office manager/personal assistant.

Got pregnant and Joe and I decided I would stay home since he is on the road all week. Loved being a stay at home mom. A couple of years ago, went to work part-time as a secretary in a construction company for spare money. That company went under and I was just ready to re-enter the work force again when I got sick.

Oh, yeah, in high school worked for a carnival one summer and also worked part time at Perkins Pancake House as a cashier and seater!!

Patti B.

I am a medical lab tech. I work in our local hospital and have been there for 15 years. I used to work in all of the different lab departments but now I am in Blood Bank full time. No, I don't draw blood that often---my last patient was my Mom--but I do the testing on it once the nurse or phlebotomist brings it to me.

I probably should have been a vet but I thought I had to get a job quickly and couldn't go to school that long--or that far away. I wanted to work in the medical field but not have patient contact.

Bachelor's and master's in Music Ed from Ole Miss...Taught band until I was diagnosed.

I have been playing the saxophone for 27 years. I currently have a private woodwind studio at a couple of local schools. I also do advocacy work for Lung cancer awareness,host a lung cancer fundraiser, participate in a local support group and volunteer at the local cancer clinic. I am considering seeking an advanced degree in instructional leadership or curriculum design...Can't decide which focus!

Life is good!!

Yesterday was the past, tomorrow is the future and today is a gift and that's why it is called the present!!!

Okay here goes, I started out as a carhop (no roller skates). Time off for kid. Worked with the school system in a variety of jobs, school bus driver, custodian. Off work because of injury on the job. They didn't want me back, oh well their loss. Went back to school to pick up some paperwork for the PC knowledge that I had. MOUS Certified. Working at the present time at a senior apartment complex. Very interesting, there are holocaust survivors, I can listen to the stories for hours. Office work and accounting.

Sarah

I went to school for Fine Arts, specifically Ceramics and Metals. I received a Bachelors in Fine Arts from Edinboro University of PA. I operated an art gallery in PA and then when John and I moved back to Michigan I got a job substitute teaching. I ended up taking the E I and Special Ed classes and decided to go back to school for a Psychology degree. So I don't work in the field I originally studied. I now operate a non-profit organization that operates group homes and provides staff for developmentally disabled and mentally ill individuals (lots of mental health workers here :lol: ).

First - three points to make based on other posts

YUMMMMM Perkins Pancake House!

GO EDINBORO!

And of course - Go OLE MISS!

I didn't go to Edinboro, but I do have 2 bachelor's degrees from another PA state university! Then a PhD in Pharmacology from Ole Miss. And yes, I'm using that degree!!

As a kid I spent a summer working for the streets dept in my little town just outside the Pittsburgh city line. Tough summer. That and my job working at a toy store in downtown Pittsburgh were enough to convince me I should go to college, I needed to postpone adulthood as long as possible! :) I learned I was the right personality for a lab scientist, ie, kinda geeky and better with beakers/flasks and lab animals than with people. :) Though as I like to point out, for a scientist, I'm quite the people person. I always say that one of the best compliments I ever got was when a couple of the security guards at my old job said to me "hey, I didn't know you were one of the docs", to which I replied "thank you". The other best compliment, when a guy I was seeing, thinking he was being mean, said to me at a softball game "you throw like a guy", to that I also said "thank you". :)

I have a BS in Business Admin. Have worked in the Mortgage industry for the past 13 years. (Before that I was a letter carrier for the United States Postal Service. I understand why they go "POSTAL").

I volunteer at the hospital where Alan was treated. The most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life.

Currently I am adjusting to my "new life" without Alan. This is the hardest thing I have ever done.

That's it folks, nothing very exciting here.

Patti, I love you but have to admit when I read the locked ward thing I did think that explains a lot!

I'm exhausted just thinking about my job and education list--I'll get to it just like I'll get to My Story and editing my signature.

Judy in Key West

Generally, it's not nice to correct someone's choice of words. This is so important that I can't let it go. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Especially since Patti has been picking on me. Flying a plane???????? Ya drive one of those.

Patti, I think you meant psychotic background. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Muriel

My first job was at McDonald's. Where I worked my way up to "Senior Counter Girl". I gave up that prestigious position and took a teller position at a local bank. I worked my way up to "Branch Manager", then retired when I was 7 months pregnant with Nick. I was the president of an electrical contracting company for a time, but closed it and took a "paying" job when I decided that I really liked eating. LOL So I volunteered for city government until they decided they couldn't live without me and offered me a position as an "Inspection Records Clerk". I climbed up the ladder until I was promoted to (now this one's a mouthful) "Administrative Assistant to the Executive Director of Community Development". Try to put that title on a business card!! Then God decided that I should work for a Christian school. I am the "Finance Director". That title comes with a little tiny paycheck and a boatload of fringe benefits!! I couldn't be happier.