Overwhelmed, diagnosed on8/27/2008

bug4461

Hello,I am 47, female, full time college student (Geology/Environmental Studies major), live alone with my Great Dane service dog, 30 year smoker , spent 6 yrs. involved in asbestos removal from public schools without adequate safegaurds and was just told the "chronic bronchitis/COPD" treated for 5 yrs is actually adenocarcinoma. I have not had a PET scan yet (unknown at this juncture) or met with the oncologist (next Tuesday).Quite frankly, I have no idea what to do, ask or expect.I am not a surgical candidate as we know it is in the lungs and lymph nodes and suspect my right adrenal gland is involved as well, could even be more widespread than that.

I'm already sick of hearing the pity comments and don't know how to reply to them.

Bug, I'm sorry for your recent diagnosis. Yes, it is very scary and overwhelming. But you have come to the right place for information and hope. Others will be answering you soon. We have several members who have adenocarcinoma and are doing quite well. The wondering and the waiting is very stressful. You will feel better after you talk to your oncologist and have a treatment plan in place, I promise you.

((((Hugs)))) to you.

Lynn

Hi bug. I am sorry you need to be here but it is a good place to be. You are just a little bit older then I. The first part is definitely overwhelming to say the very least. As Lynn says, once there is a treatment plan in place, things will start to get better and you will get into fighting mode. There are many survivors here, and many at later stages like you. So please know there is always hope. Please keep us posted on your plan and your progress. You can ask anything here and many many folks here will be eager to help you out. Anything general about NSCLC can be posted in that forum. In the meantime please take good care and know that you have found an good place to come to for comfort and hope.

Sandra

Hi Bug-

So sorry you found the need to be here. This is a site full of great people and lots of support and information.

I have NSCLC, adenocarcinoma, and am Stage IV and next month will be reaching my two year mark. There are many here that have success stories of much longer than that.

I know it is hard to believe that once you start chemo you will be able to think more clearly, but it is true. Once a treatment plan is in place, you can get yourself into fighting mode. Right now, you are in that deer-in-the-headlight mode.

Please come here often, let us get to know you better, and ask any questions you need to or just vent. There is amlways someone here to help you.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hello Bug and welcome.

I, too, am sorry you had need to find a site like this but am so glad you have joined us.

The beginning of this is so overwhelming and confusing. So much to absorb and so much to remember. Get a small notebook or an organizer and jot down any and all questions you have as you think of them. Take the book with you to all of your Dr appointments and take notes on what you learn. Ask for and obtain copies of any and all test results, including lab work, MRI and CT scans, etc. If you decide to go for a second or third opinion you will have everything with you and save the hassle of having to run around getting copies later on.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and if you do not understand the answers, ask for clarification. You are your own best advocate and knowledge IS power.

We wil be here for you, don't be afraid to ask us anything and lean on us when and if you need to. This is a great and caring group of people.

Warmly

Christine

Hi bug I am so sorry you have to be here. I am pretty new myself having found out my 39 year old husband has been diagnosed stage iv adenoC just a few weeks ago. You definitely are in the scarriest part and once you get a treatment plan in place you will feel better. When I start to feel down I tend to come here and read the "survivor" and "good news" sections. It really helps me.

Christie

Thank you all for your understanding. I THINK I am getting my anger reassigned to a more productive utility. I have jokingly made this motto mine for years, now I guess it truely is appropriate:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to

skid in sideways, chocolate in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally

worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

Need to get this on a t -shirt, coffe cup (they'll probably make me give THAt up as well, huh?) (Probably have to give up chocolate as well...looking bleak again!) Everything Good is Bad!!!

My pulmonologist says not to change my schedual (don't quit college), but missing classes at the begining of the semester is really hurting my GPA. Not sure what to do about that.

Thanks again,

Sandy [/img]

Great to see you have an awesome sense of humour Sandy. That will also really help you on your journey. I love your motto and it tells me that you will not forget about quality of life either, and that will also help you get through this. I hope your weekend is getting better and it sure sounds like your spirits have improved. Good for you and the college endeavours.

Sandra

I have always hated the old cliche : God only gives you the trials he knows you are strong enough to Handel.....I AM Iron Woman! or at least he must think so. In the past year, my 9 month old granddaughter (my only grandchild) drowned in her own bathtub (one year to the day before my diagnosis), my favorite brother-in-law blew his brains out (July 17,2008) and now this...he (the powers that be) must have a whole #@$%^& of a lot more faith in me than visa versa!

Iron Woman WILL persevere

That which does not kill me today, makes me stronger tomarrow!

Welcome Bug. Boy the beginning of this journey is a rough ride. I know. There are usually lots of tests and lots of doctors to see. Please let us know what the Onocologists plans for you and how you are doing.

Donna G

Hi bug and welcome. I'm so sorry to read of the tragedies you've faced in the past year but it's reassuring to see that it hasn't hurt your wit or toughness. You go, girl!

One comment: Before you beat yourself up, please know that adenocarcinoma is NOT the kind of lung cancer that is particularly associated with smoking -- that is squamous cell carcinoma. Nor is it the kind that is particularly associated with asbestos -- that is mesothelioma. The kind you (and I and the majority of lc patients) have is an equal opportunity horror -- young, old, men, women, smokers, never-smokers, you name it.

Hang in there.