Joel's visit to the Onochologist/ question about Alimta

Maryanne

HI all,

Joel went to Onochologist to find out about chemo. He still has not had his CT yet to see if the cyberknife worked but he will he having that done in a couple of weeks. But his onochologist wants him to have a PET instead. So the Onchologist will talk to his Cyberknife Dr. to see which one.

Also as the Onochologist is really not familiar with cyberknife he really doesn't know if Joel will need chemo or not. But if he does ( which I imagine will be up to Joel) then since his last two chemos did not work, he would try Alimta... which I know has side effects.

I would appreciate anyone who has feedback on that treatment.

Thanks

Maryanne

Maryanee-

I was on Alimta for 16 cycles. It can be very hard on some people. The major side effects are SOB and fatigue and they are cumulative so by the time it stopped working for me, I was really pretty tired. There is no hair loss associated with it and the infusion time is only about 10 - 15 minutes.

Any other info on Alimta, feel free to PM me.

Lots of luck for Joel. Keep us updated, please.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Maryanne. I was on Alimta for a short period but I did not tolerate it very well. Most patients find it much more tolerable. A few days after the infusion I basically went "down" for 2 to 3 days and was in and out of consciousness. In hindsight I don't think I really felt that awful, I just slept a lot, was nauseous and groggy and yeah probably grumpy too if you asked my family. If Joel gets on Alimta I hope it works well for him with limited side effects. Take care

Sandra

Marryanne,

I know your aware of the SEARCH button at the top of the page. I just want to encourage you to go there and type in Alimta and see what comes up with that. The only reason I suggest this is, the board has been very quiet lately and not many people have been posting. I do know that Alimta has been mentioned here 1000's of times. I just want you to find out as much info as you can, so I that's why I suggest the Search Button.

Good luck to Joel and you, your both always in my prayers.

Hi Maryanne; I had 4 rounds of alimta after some image guided radiation I had 2 years ago. I tolerated it ok, but I was tired most of the time. I think follow treatment after ck is a good idea. If they do a PET/CT scan, they will monitor the suv. If the suv goes down over time, that is a sign that it is working. Alimta did not do much for me. I hope it serves Joel well.

Don M

No feedback for you guys, Maryanne, BUT just wnated to say I'm full of HOPE that the cyberknife kicked cancer butt big time and there will be no need for anything more. I sure hope Joel is feeling pretty good and can't wait to hear the final word on everything.

Fred and I probably won't get to see you at Heather's walk UNLESS another hurricane puts the Boston walk out of business. It was meant to be the way things happened last year. We sure hope you both are feeling well enough for the December lunch. Sure missed you guys last time.

Love,

Kasey

Hi Maryanne,

Bill was on Alimta for many treatments and the only side effect that occurred appeared on or about three days or so following the infusion, he would experience a heavy fatigue.

That would last for about three to four days and then he was back to full energy.

He had many months on Alimta which was given every three weeks at first - then stretched to once every month. In all, he had completed 14 treatments.

Wishing you both every success with whatever Joel decides.

Barbara

Can't help you out Maryanne, but you knew that already...Just wanted to pass along a little luck and a couple well wishes to you and Joel...It's gotta be quite a PITA (pain in the A>>) for you guys, but you'll come out on the other side and all will be well.

Hi Maryanne....got to this post late as usual...sorry....but just wanted to tell you I am praying for the best for you and Joel....and sure hoped the ck worked...and if JOel has to go on Altima...you know it works different for everyone...so Joel may not have any side effects if he has to get on it....At any rate...you have to do what you have to do and I know Joel will....best of luck to both of you...

love....nonni