Not Again

jean44

I joined this site when my Dad was diagnosed with NSCLC IV. He passed away a year after diagnosis. He was 67 years old. That was Oct. 14, 2003. On Sept. 26, 2008 my 52 year old husband was diagnosed with NSCLC IV. We have been married 28 years. He started Taxotere and Carboplatin chemo yesterday and will begin 35 rounds of radiation on Monday. Needless to say, devestated doesn't begin to cover my feelings. I feel like a little of me is dying each day. He is staying positive and says he will beat this. He knows there is no cure but also has a great determination and a strong belief in God AND miracles. Please keep my husband Thom in your prayers as I continue to do for all on this board.

Heartbroken,

Jean

Oh Jean, my heart broke right along with yours just by reading your words. You and your husband will be in our thoughts and prayers and I hope you can feel all the positive energy I'm sending your way. This causes me to ask the same question I've asked so many times before ~ Who wrote the book on fair? I'm so sorry.

Kasey

(((Jean))),

Your post really touches my heart and you are certainly in a place where people understand. You are also in a place where people hang on to hope. I lost a husband to lung cancer and now my mom has it. She is stage IIIB . Hers is operable for the second time and she will have surgery the end of this month.

Remember every person is different , as is every case of lung cancer. There are no two cases alike because there are no two humans with the same genetic makeup or where cancer has grown in exactly the same place, size etc. i will keep you and your husband in my prayers as he goes through his treatment . Just remember that whether this treatment is or isn't the silver bullet, there is ongoing research and new treatments coming out all the time. What may be considered not curable today may very well be in the very near future.

God Bless,

Sue

I hate that you have had to come back to the site! Definetly not fair!!

You are both in my prayers. There are other survivors here that are beating the odds with this stupid disease.

I am 4.5 yr survivor of adeno and have been stage IV for 2yr 9 mo. 2 of the drugs I am currently taking have only been on the market since I was diagnosed - and they are working miracles for me.

Wendy

Thank you all for your responses, kind words and prayers. Thom had his first chemo last Thursday and his first radiation yesterday. So far, so good. His attitude is so positive, he says he will beat this and I HAVE TO believe him. :) Sue, thanks so much for your response. The last line really hit home and you are so right. We are hopeful and plan to stay that way. Five years ago today I lost my Dad to lung cancer and I refuse to let cancer take my husband as well. So, we have on our fighting gloves and will battle the beast. I pray that we win.

Thanks again,

Jean

Dear Jean

I am so sorry you must deal with this yet again.....this is my first time with this disease, although have had fatal heart attacks, pancreatic cancer and alzheimers to deal with in the family. Know that you and your husband are being prayed for by us on this board. I think it is a positive that your husband has such a good attitude. I wish I could get mine to have some hope, but it is difficult as we are back in the hospital yet again....still I read about the miracles on this board and it gives one hope and we have to all pass that one.

Keep fighting and stay strong. I know that it is so hard on the spouse....but even harder on the one we love.

• 4 weeks later...

I just joined this board but have found so much support already and I would like to extend my heartfelt concern for your husband and I will add him to my prayer list. He sould like a wonderful man who is trying to keep you "up" . That is a miracle in itself considering his circumstances. He can beat this with great doctors, lots of prayer and the support of a loving family and friends.

Hope will take you a long way!

Gail R.

Jean

I am so sorry for all you have gone through and are going through again.

I really believe that having a positive attitude and putting your trust in God - to give you strength and peace makes a world of difference - it sounds like Thom is doing both of those things.

My prayers will be with you

Janet

Jean I am so sorry and I do know what you are going through. My Dad died of LC when he was 64 and that was 34 years ago. He died 9 mos later. My husband was diag with LC when he was 63 and it is over three years later and he is doing fine. Times have changed and they are changing quickly. You and your hubby can only take it one day at a time. Good bless you and your husband. Fiight the fight.