My Story

Gail Redmond

My name is Gail Redmond and I was diagnosed with Stage IV Adenocarcinoma, metatastic to both lungs and medistinal lymph nodes, on August 15, 2008. My oncolologist chose to skip chemo and radiation, since my tumor is inoperable. I am on Tarceva and am showing great progress as of my last CT scan on 10/22. Main tumor has shrunk 80%, lymph nodes normal, all other spots have diminished to the " you can see through them" stage. I feel great except for more fatigue than before and very dry skin. I have been very blessed to have been a candidate for this medicine. Though there is no cure, I am enjoying a wonderful quality of life through my treatment and praying for remission someday. My doctor is very hopeful and optimistic since I have responded so well initially.

I am a 56 year old wife, mother of 3 beautiful daughters and grandmother of 1 delightful and beautiful granddaughter. I look forward to hearing from other LC patients and survivors and hopefully I can provide some inspiration to others traveling this journey in the same way that I have received inspiration from hundreds since my diagnosis.

HOPE is what we all need!

Gail [/i]

Welcome Gail

You may be new but based on your results you can certainly be an inspiration for other's here. Please keep us posted on your progress. There are lots of members here on Tarceva that may be able to help you with any questions you have. A great, supportive group of members here.

Welcome Gail!!

You will find this site so supportive and helpful!

I am also on Tarceva - I was diagnosed in December of '06 - I did have radiation to my spine and brain - but no surgery and no traditional chemotherapy. I started on 150mg of Tarceva on February 15, 2007 and have been doing wonderfully ever since! Like you I was relatively young, a woman and non-smoker - I also had the EGFR mutation - were you tested for that?

I wish you continued success with Tarceva - and look forward to getting to know you through this site.

Peace, Janet

Hi Gail and Welcome to LCSC. Sorry you have the need to find us, but I'm glad we're here for you.

Well you and I have a few things in common. I to was dx.d with Adneo. AND I'm 56 years young as well. :wink:

I'm very happy to hear your responding so well to Tarceva. HOORAY! We have several of our members that are doing well with it too.

I hope you'll stay with us, we're good group of people!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone that has welcomed me to this site. I've been busy with Thanksgiving and haven't had time to sit down and say thanks before now. Also, I've had a little set back with some chest congestion. Doctor prescribed Z-pack and Prednisone which has sent my stomach through some real trials during the last week. Getting better now. I'll have a chest xray next week then a checkup on 12/15. I will not have another scan until Jan. '09. I am so excited to see so many on this site that have or or taking Tarceva. I can't believe how well it is working for me and I pray that it will continue to get me towards remission. I really am watching my diet and staying away from sugar, white flour and all processed foods. I do miss my Diet Coke though but I don't want the artificial sweetners in my body any longer. I truly believe there is a definite connection between cancer and what we eat, breathe and expose our bodies to in this world. I wish I had been awake to this knowledge 20 years ago! I look and feel better than I did before my diagnosis.

:Dwww.caringbridge.org/visit/gailredmond

Hi again, Gail, and thanks for the update. When you get a chance, I know the others in the Tarceva Club (current and future) would be interested in the various measures, prescription and over-the-counter, you're using to deal with the infamous Tarceva rash and other side effects. You could even put the highlights in your profile, so the info would be available with all of your posts. There's also a great amount of information on Tarceva at cancergrace.org, for example:

http://cancergrace.org/lung/2008/10/22/wird-egfr-rash/

http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php ... 04#msg2904

http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php ... 70#msg3170

Glad you're feeling better. Aloha,

Ned

Gail, I agree with Sara, you won't find a greater group of people anywhere. I'm not on Tarceva but was diagnosed IIIb Adenocarcinoma (IVa in the new staging system) Oct 07 and had traditional chemo. I have been in remission since April 08. I agree also that hope is what it's all about.

Judy in Key West