Feeling Better Again

CaroleHammett

Hi, all.

I have a (natural) tendency not to write when I'm feeling poorly so the good news is that all my postings yesterday were the result of my feeling better again.

The bad news is that my Prednisone dosage got off and as a result, I "lost" Christmas (instead of being with my family as planned, I was home throwing a pity party).

The downturn was the result of my having missed one day of Prednisone two days before Xmas, making me ill for 5 days. Memory loss and failure of a private caregiver (for the second time in a month) to notice I'd failed to take my pills were the cause and I have remedied the problem by replacing the caregiver and enlisting family and friends to call me twice daily in order to ask me if I've taken my pills (including making me look at the pill box to make sure that I really took them as versus just thinking I took them).

I did not, however, make a full recovery (got better after five days, but had definitely lost ground in terms of weakness and fatigue) so this Monday, my Brilliant Hospice Doctor decided to up my Prednisone (which you all know how much I hate, but after all, it does keep me alive).

So, effective this past Monday, my Prednisone was raised from 20 mg to 40 mg (just for a week, and as you can see, my energy has returned (e.g., yesterday's postings and again this morning).

I am feeling miraculously better (beginning yesterday, but again this morning) and am still pain free. Doc doesn't think memory loss is worse (i.e., probably not brain mets), but that previously it just wasn't so critical that I not miss a day's pills.

My new "networking" system for pills is working beautifully (other than the fact that my phone is now ringing off the hook every morning and evening with reminders.) :-)

I will probably still not be doing as much--or as freqent--posting as I used to due to several projects I'm working on:

(1) Scanning old photos into my computer, and organizing, editing and putting both old and new on memory cards for my new digital photo frame as well as my mother's new one (got it for her for Christmas), as well as for grandkids and extended family members.

(2) Scanning my late father's World War II letters (1942-1947) to his father (written from stateside bases, North Africa, Sicily and Italy, and finally from the rural San Joaquin Valley, California ranch where I--his eldest--was born.

(3) Creating a Hammett genealogy/history website for my family (near and extended), which will also be duplicated on CD.

(4) After I finish the above, I will be creating a second genealogy/history website for my maternal side, also to be duplicated on CD.

All this is in addition to my twice weekly Vitamin C infusions, weekly local general cancer support group meetings (when feeling well enough), and spending time with family, friends, etc.

Oops! I almost forgot that on the 20th I'm holding an Inauguration Day Open House from 10:00 a.m. local time (swearing in ceremony) 'til whenever we run out of steam. I really do mean "open house" (over 75 on invitation list) so if any of you live in the Boulder-Denver area and would like to attend, just PM me for details.

All for now... love you all bunches and will try to stay more connected--despite the fact that I've got so many projects I don't have enough time to post much, let alone die! :lol:

Affectionately,

Carole

PS I really do believe that the combination of Vitamin C infusions and oral Vitamin D have made a huge difference in respect to slowing down progression (and possibly even new metastases), and even if they haven't, I credit them with continuing to allow me a far better Quality of Life than is normal for those of us with progressive lung cancer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--George Carlin

You've been very missed, Carole. I am glad you are feeling better and well enough to take on such aggressive projects! Good luck with them all. Just be sure you don't overdo it. We certainly understand. And if I were close by, you could be sure I'd be dropping in to your open house! Hope you enjoy!

Kasey

Hi Carole, I'm happy to see you back on the boards. It's great that you're feeling better. It sounds like you are going to be quite busy. I did a huge scanning project last year....very tedious, but well worth it.

I have to tell you about my mom's pill story from this week. She and her boyfriend have lived together for years. He is so good about making sure she takes her pills (which she used to forget all the time) I guess the other day, he told her she should probably take her pills a little early as they were heading out somewhere. She agreed and came down to the kitchen and took the 4 pills he had laid out. The trouble was, they were HIS blood pressure and diabetes pills! AFter a flurry of phone calls to the ER, poisen control and her Onc....everyone decided all would be fine and they just had her start her Tarceva the next day.....

It's always something!

Good luck with your projects and stay feeling good!

Shelley

Carole, it was really a lift to read your post. As I've said before, you're amazing!

I'd love to attend your inauguration open house, but it would have to be as a "virtual" visitor, and I'll bet that goes for lots of other members too. How about meeting on LCSC live chat at the appointed time? Maybe one of your techie friends can port your computer display to a big TV for the benefit of your non-virtual guests! Aloha,

Ned

Glad to hear you are feeling so well but bummer that you missed Christmas. When I hear all those projects you've undertaken, it makes me feel like a slug! We all understand if you don't post ofen, just keep us updated from time to time.

Judy in Key West

Hi, everybody, and thanks for the kind words.

Your pill story's great, Shelley (had me in stitches). As to the tediousness of scanning, I would agree if I were doing it alone, but most of my scanning has been a "two person" job--mostly either my mother or daughter which means that not only do we scan the pics, but we talk about the good times the pics reflect.

As to the letters, those are definitely tedious when I'm doing them by myself, but starting next week, my hospice volunteer is going to help me get through them--not just the scanning, but reading them to me so I can transcribe them (after which I plan to footnote the transcriptions so as to identify the people (mostly relatives) and places that he writes about (this latter with the help of two of my older cousins and my mother).

Your idea's a good one, Ned, other than the fact that even if I could get the TV thing going, I suspect I'm going to be so overwhelmed with all the "non-virtual" company that I'd split in two (virtually? LOL).

My new(ish) laptop has a a webcam and after I got it, I bought web cams as gifts for my daughter, mother, niece, grandkids and several other close relatives (they're actually pretty cheap, especially since I spread out my purchases), plus a cousin, nephew and two step brothers also have them. It's been really nice, particularly in the evenings, being able to sit here* and visit by "television" with various family members, most of them out of state.

* I have a hospital bed with a tray table and with the bed in sitting position and the laptop on the tray table, it works great and isn't tiring at all.

Anyway, thanks again. It's great to be "back."

Love to all,

Carole

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.--George Carlin

Again, thanks for the kudos, but I'm neither amazing nor brave--just unwilling to waste my remaining time lying around moping when I can be treasuring each remaining day instead.

Affectionately,

Carole

A little late with my kudos to you, Carole dear, and to let you know that not only are you amazing, but you have given me the bolstering, by example, that I needed to do more.

Sometimes, I get so lazy, and come to a standstill. However, not after reading your ambitious posts. Am making a resolution here.

Really missed you, and will be looking forward to your future posts even if they are more spaced. In the meanwhile, I have a lovely "picture" of you doing wonderful tasks.

Thanks for updating. It has made my day, for sure.

Always love reading your posts, and love you,

Barbara

Again, thanks for the kind words, everyone, but if it weren't for all of you, my life wouldn't be nearly the treasure that it is. The support I've gotten from everyone here is what has given me the strength to carry on--with zest! :D

With love and affection,

Carole

Hi Carol

Great to see your smiling face again. My you certainly have been going through so much. Glad you are getting your "pills" under control.

I love your project and glad you are having help with it. It will be a fabulous memory that you are doing for your love ones.

I just want you to know that I think about you and I feel you are a special person even though you just schugg it off. You are like the engergizer bunny you just keep going and going. I really admire you for that.

When you find the time do come back and let us know how you are doing. We are always here.

Take care and keep hanging strong.

Maryanne :wink: