Tarceva Working ... Brain Fluid Increase 3mm

Barb73

Well, as one might have hoped, the Tarceva is working and Bill is responding to it nicely.

The neck nodes have diminished and tell the tale of a good response.

The scan included the brain, and that fluid which resulted from the WBR (one year, 8 months ago) has increased 3mm.

Since Bill has had no dizziness, no unusual memory blanks, and is functioning well, it will remain on careful watch, BUT if anything changes the Neurologist (Doctor from last year) will be notified immediately.

As to the Tarceva, the doctor has decided that we will cut the pill in half and Bill will have 150mg one day, and the next day he will have 75mg.

The total is an average 112.5mg. At the time when this present month's supply runs out, Bill will use the doctor's prescription for 100 mg.

Without the input from this board, our visit today would not have been so informed. Our appreciation cannot be measured. Bill knows that he has been blessed. We both realize this.

Right now, after having begun this day by shovelling snow (both of us out there early this morning), Bill finally hit the hay at 7:15pm. He was exhausted, but glad that the new pill has resulted in some good news. It has been a long day - without naps. :shock:

Overall, it has been a pretty good day. :)

Barbara

Bill told me today that he cannot wait for spring. I reminded him that the lawn would be growing. :lol:

You are right, Patti, we will be careful with the shoveling. Neither one of us is a kid anymore.

What we do is to divide it into segments and take several breaks. It takes longer, but it gets done without our knocking ourselves out too much.

Love,

Barbara

You know, Patti, our daughter-in-law, in Florida, emailed me and said that if she were up here she would do our walkways. :lol:

I told her it might be easier for us to move down there, and leave this house altogether. It's a very large colonial, and we do need a smaller package.

Somehow, Patti, after we received yesterday's news about the Tarceva, the snow didn't look so daunting.

Still, we really are not looking forward to another storm. Yet, it's only February and I am sure there's at least another in our cards.

Love,

Barbara

Hi Barbara.

Rather than moving to Florida, you could always move to the nearest big city with economic diversity. Here in the middle of Philadelphia, low-income men are quite grateful for a snowfall so they can make a few bucks shoveling sidewalks. We've even had our sidewalk shoveled when the snow fell while we were away from home since the guys know we'll pay them when we get back. It takes a village... :)

Ellen

Wonderful to hear Bill is doing well. Wish I knew how to find a happy chick and then how to post it :? !!!! As to the snow.........we got 12+ inches in less than 4 hours Tuesday night to very early Wednesday AM. And 2-3 miles down the road there was NOTHING! They say it is one for the books! Lucky us. Thanks goodness for WONDERFUL neighbors who have done our drive and walkways twice now. I can't with my breathing and back and poor Fred just had hernia surgery!

Maybe we can all pitch in and get a nice place in warmer climate until this winter is over!

Once again, Barb......tell Bill it's just great!

Kasey

Hi Ellen,

I live in a town of diversity. We have every sort of economic level. It's just that getting connected with those who want to shovel (shovelers) and those who need them, have not been able to meet.

When we were over at the oncologist's office yesterday, he told us of his childhood memories of shovelling for his neighbors.

Well, so did I. I remember shovelling with my friends for enough money to buy a hot chocolate at our local ice cream shop. Bill did the same as a youngster. We grew up in the Bronx - plenty of diversity on our block. We had the artist for the "Birdseye Frozen Foods," and a NY Councilman, and everybody below and inbetween.

What is missing in my town is the acknowledgement that work never hurt anyone.

Actually, it may be the very thing that is keeping Bill and me alive. :lol:

Love you, Ellen,

Barbara (Ellen)

Hi Barbara. You're from the Bronx?!? Wow, I'm from Brooklyn! :D Moved to Queens in 1966 (not by choice) and to Philly in 1967 (as a new bride), but my heart remains in Brooklyn.

No shoveling memories for me -- we all lived in apartment buildings and I guess the 'super' (something between a janitor and a concierge) saw to that -- we just never worried about anything beyond our four walls.

Maybe some of our Philadelphia snow shovelers should relocate to Bergen County -- this week, they started ringing the bell before 7am!

Take care.

Ellen

Thank you for the well wishes, Kasey. I know how to "save" the little chick, but wouldn't have a clue as to how to make him "move." :lol:

Our neighbors are out working all day, and are lucky they get their own done. They do shovel part of our sidewalk up to where the driveway begins.

I recently bought an electric snow shovel, but have been hesitant to begin using it - nervous about running over the cord - Yikes.

Our oncologist said he has one, and it works if the snow isn't too deep. Then he said, "Be careful not to run over the cord." Now, of course, that's all I can think of .... :shock: It was like: Don't think of elephants - crazy, I know. :D

Barbara

Hello Sue,

I am hoping to keep reporting good news, but being a realist, I keep a small caveat. I like being happily surprised at scan time, especially with this particular drug. There was a "heads up," though, with the neck losing the bulge on one side.

So many have written about good results.

It was so nice to learn that the nodes went down - a lot. Our eyes had not deceived us.

Thank you, Sue, for concern about the snow. We will be very careful.

Barbara

You know, the more we think about it, the snow is never predictable, and can also contain ice.

I have an ice chopper which does a mean job on that condition (it's a long pole with a blade on the end), but when done chopping, the muscles in the arm ache.

Maybe the lawn mowing and weeding is not a bad deal after all. This winter's weather makes me yearn for even crab grass. :lol:

Thanks for the good thoughts.

Barbara

Hello Tiny,

I hope it works wonders for you. Don't forget to lather up with the lotion. It does make a difference.

Bill has been on Tarceva for two months now. He is an older guy, and he is glad to be taking this at home, rather than going over to the Center, and being hooked up to an infusion.

But, he is determined that whatever is offered futuristic, he will go the "run of it." Hopefully, this drug will be for a goodly length of time.

Barbara

Hi Ellen,

Yes, I am a Bronxite - born and bred :D (Highbridge Section - up the hill from the Yankee Stadium). Went to Cathedral High. Traveled to school by train every day.

Our superintendent used to shovel the sidewalks and, as with you, we lived in an apartment building. My family lived four flights up, and I was very thin back then. Those stairs were a lark for me to climb. :lol:

Many times it was so icy outside that they would throw ashes from the coal burners onto the sidewalk to prevent slipping. When they changed to oil, that was not an option. Forgot what they did then.

Married 1955, stayed in the Bronx. Moved to Queens in 1963. It was our first house, GI Mtg, and the kids loved the backyard - only a small sidewalk spanse to shovel (Didn't know when I had it good).

Ellen, send those guys over here? :lol:

Barbara

Barb - what wonderful news for you and Bill. I am so happy that Tarceva is working so well and hope that that you guys don't have to ever visit a neurologist again!

Good luck with that electric snow shovel - let us know how it works (if you decide to use it).

Hugs,

Linda