Hello

SandyG

My name is Sandy. My daughter found this site and is showing me around.

I was diagnosed with NSC Adenocarcinoma of the Lung 45 days ago. I just got home from lung surgery after 13 days in ICU. I am not feeling the best yet. They removed the top 50% of my right lung. I had a lung collapse and a lung infection. That seems to be healed now and I am trying to recover.

Please give me some insite, if you would as to how I should be progressing 15 days post surgery.

I have pain where my cuts are and expect that will hurt for a long time.

My nose for some reason keeps running as if I have a cold, yet it is still stuffed up from the oxygen tubes. Any idea what that sniffles are all about?

My eyes are quite blurry. Anyone have that? I also have type 2 diabetes which may be the issue. Maybe it would help if I could stop crying.

I am wheezing too although I am doing my breathing exercises. Is this normal?

I see my doctor again on Monday. I don't think I have to take chemo or radiation. Anyone have any input if you should have it just to make sure the cancer is gone or go with what the doctor says about me being "clean" and not needing it.

I'm tired so I will stop back tomorrow. I thank you for any input you have. This diagnosis, surgery, and life issue frightens me and i really could use someone to talk to who has been through this.

SandyG

Hi Sandy and welcome. Im sure you are very sore yet and will be for sometime but day by day it gets a little better. I dont know about you but I had to sleep on my back for a month or so. Not a easy task for a side sleeper. Also I had a lot of strange noises going on in me for sometime after my surgery. I do hope they warned you about staying a head of constipation. After a good bout with that I always took stool softeners regulary.Im so glad you were able to have the surgery. There will be many question that arise in the days ahead and this is a good place to ask.There are no stupid questions.I pray you have a quick and successful recovery.

Hi Sandy - I am sorry you have need to be here, but sure am glad you found us through your daughter.

What type of surgery did you have - VATS or the thoracotomy? I had the VATS, which is far less invasive, so that is the only experience I can go from. I also had to sleep on my back for quite some time as it was much too painful to sleep on my side like I normally do. About 2-3 weeks after surgery I came down with a nasty cough - of course I was very concerned but it just turned out to be a very bad virus that was making the rounds. Sure could have done without that added to the mix though! Everybody seems to recover differently and at different rates. The fact that you were in ICU for 13 days tells me you should just be gentle with yourself - you have a great deal to recover from. The complications you had certainly factor into your recovery. Just be certain to ask your physician about anything that you have questions about - they know more about your individual case and would certainly be able to give you much more concrete answers than we can here.

Once you see your doctor on Monday you should have more information as to whether you need further treatment or not. I am assuming that you haven't gotten the pathology reports back yet? Are you meeting with the surgeon or an oncologist?

I am over two years out from diagnosis and surgery and I will tell you that life is never the same as before. It is definitely a scary time and fear is our biggest enemy. I always tell myself how fortunate I am to have been able to have surgery and to still be here with my family. Each day is a gift and I try to remember to always be grateful for it. You are still very early in the process and trust me, it will get better. I get it ... I really do.

Anyhow, I am glad to hear that you are listening to your body and resting when you need to. This is a physical and emotional process and each and every day will see you getting stronger.

Take care,

Linda

Hi Sandy and welcome to this site. You will find it to be full of many kind knowledgable people. I can't help you with your post surgery questions but I see others have already rung in and I am sure you will hear from more.

I think you will also hear from others regarding chemo. Many here have had chemo after surgery as extra insurance. You do need to go through it and there are some side effects but it is quite doable most times. If it was me, I think I would definitely go that route.

Keep on getting better day by day after your surgery. It will take some time. And please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra

Welcome Sandy. Like above, pain depends on the type of surgery, I had the old thorocotomy , in that they have to break ribs etc so it take some time for it to heal.

Donna G

Hi, Sandy, welcome to the group. There's nothing more awesome than a great mother-daughter team!

Many of us have found that after surgery, especially the more invasive thoracotomy type, sleeping in a recliner instead of a bed has some advantages. In particular, it allows you to minimize the rolling/twisting motion which can be so painful while the incision and muscles are healing.

Best wishes on your recovery, and let us know what we can help you with. Aloha,

Ned

Hi Sandy-

Welcome to the site. We have already met your daughter and I think its great that you are here, too.

I have no information for you regarding post surgery issues as I was not a candidate for surgery but just wanted to let you know that I hope you continue to come here for help and support.

Please keep us posted on what the doctor says on Monday and I hope that each day you feel better and stronger.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Sandy,

Welcome aboard. Not sure what all the surgical names are, I had a lobectomy. The surgeon went in between my ribs, cut through alot of muscles and removed my upper left lobe. I will tell you what everyone told me, be gentle with yourself, you've had some major body trauma it's not like you stubbed your toe. I am also type 2, my sugars were all over the place with all the differant meds. I think I was on pain killers for 2 months, can't quite remember. But take your pain killers. I did have to adjust to my missing lung, I had a hard time breathing and talking at the same time. I would also recommend stool softeners. Move slow and easy. I didn't have any lung collapse or infections, so it sounds like you are doing great. My doc did give me an pneumonia shot, I would ask your doc about getting one. You're doing fine!

Hi, Sandy! I hope you are having a great day. I just "re-read" what others posted back to you and remembered about the "talking while breathing" problems I, too, had those problems big time in the beginning. I first noticed it about the 1 month "out from surgery" point. I would be talking on the phone and get really short of breath while talking. I could almost be bent over gasping for air if I talked too long or too fast. My husband said I would just talk and talk and talk until I ran out of air. In other words, I was forgetting to breathe while talking. I had to "relearn" that in a new way. It was a problem for quite a while. This feeling of breathlessness would start up if I went down our basement and then tried to come back upstairs. It could start up if I just "bent over to tie my shoe" or ran up our steep driveway after grabbing the morning paper. It still happens if I try and walk up a steep hill or walk fast while talking to my neighbor at the same time. It took me YEARS before I learned a medical name for what this was - it is called DYSPNEA. I was so relieved to read other survivors stories and learn it was common for them to experience as well. It is because our lungs have NOT FULLY INFLATED PROPERLY as well as having a lot of lung removed but the main reason is the DEEP BREATHING that most of us forget to do. In fact, if when I am the shortest of breath, I remember to dig way down and take a huge deep breath, the breathlessness gets immediately better.

When I had my surgery in 1996, there was NO internet, NO message boards, NO support groups (specifically Lung cancer) and NO other survivors that I could find same stage as I was. It took me YEARS to find all this. I used the library to read and read and read about lung cancer. When the internet became popular, it was like a whole new world opened up for me and I found this message board and others that were So So helpful.

I thought I would mention, too, that I first drove 21 days following surgery (went grocery shopping for a few things and then to pick up a Christmas ham), in case you are curious. I was told NOT to pick up anything weighing more than 8 lb (a gallon of milk) for the first month. I wore a bra at the two month mark, I think for the first time. I felt like going out to lunch for the first time about the two month mark. We did go on a 10 day vacation to FL at the 7 week point and I was actually playing easy doubles tennis that week. I remember going in my brother's beautiful pool at the 7 week mark, too. That felt wonderful. I experienced a little dizziness (can't think of the name for that) that week for the first time ever. I do recall being paranoid about catching a cold that first year. I stayed away from anybody who was sick or had been sick. I was told to get a flu shot every year and get a pneumonia shot which I did that next fall.

Guess that's all I can think of right now. Keep getting stronger. I am so happy for you that you are doing so well.

Prayers, Annie

I want to thank everyone for their input. Every bit of advise I get is really helpful to me. I appreciate all of your thoughts and well wishes.

I am still feeling tired and sore and emotional. I can't sleep well yet and bounce between bed and the couch all night. I am not that interested in sleeping pills and am hoping that I can rest better soon.

I guess the pain I feel is expected at this point although it would be nice if it would diminish pretty soon. Any idea how long before moving and laying down isn't so horrific?

I am feeling quite a bit of pressure in my chest. Some of you have said this is normal. Since I am 17 days out of surgery, should I expect this to let up soon? What exactly is it that is hurting me?

I see my doctor for a first follow-up visit on Monday. I hope to get a good report.

Again, thank you for your input. I will return to the site to help me understand all of this and to hopefully someday, assist others at this stage.

SandyG

Welcome, Sandy! Over a year later, my chest still doesn't feel right. But, it feels a lot better than it did right after surgery. I was back on my bicycle quickly after surgery (too quickly, my doctor would probably say), and I think that helped with the pain and numb spots. Six weeks after surgery, when I started doing my core muscle exercises again, that seemed to help even more. I never found anything that helped more than exercise, and now I'm pretty much pain free, although like I said, an area of my chest still feels funny. Hopefully, you'll see lots of improvement in the coming weeks.

Welcome Sandy. I believe Rhonda is your daughter and according to her posts, you have had a rough time. It's understandable that you are sore and emotional. It can take a long time to heal when they cut through muscle and tissue. As far as the emotionalism goes, we have all experienced the struggle to regain our balance after the dx of cancer. It has to be the scariest thing in the world. Oddly enough, though, it starts to feel more normal as time goes by.

I don't have too much to offer about the aftermaths of surgery because I wasn't a candidate but since you mentioned not sleeping and not caring for sleeping pills, I might suggest Sweet Dreams herb tea by Bigelow. You can buy it in any grocery store. I've tried others but this one works for me. To get the max benefit, I leave the tea bag in while I'm drinking it and add a tsp of honey for taste.

Judy in Key West

Any idea how long before moving and laying down isn't so horrific?

It was many months before I could get in or out of a bed or lie on a couch without discomfort. The recliner was MUCH easier, and that's why I'm constantly recommending it.

After being home about a week I started gradually loosening up my muscles by carefully and slowly lying down on the floor flat on my back, then doing arm and leg exercises (NO twisting of the body at this point). Getting back up was a challenge and I sometimes asked for help to avoid too much twisting, but each day things got a little easier. I slept in a recliner for almost a year, and even now it's my favorite spot for a nap.

According to my surgeon, the weird pain I was feeling in the front was referred pain from the side where the muscles and nerves had been cut. I had a full thoracotomy, with a 7-inch incision.

Ned

According to my surgeon, the weird pain I was feeling in the front was referred pain from the side where the muscles and nerves had been cut. I had a full thoracotomy, with a 7-inch incision.

7"? Is that all? Mine goes from under breast around under my arm and up my back - close to 16" easily! Plus the two chest tube holes and another linear incision under the breast.

The weird pain - did it feel like your ribs were bruised, with no visually bruises? I've got this - the onc says maybe post-thoracic surgery nerve something or another. It's getting better.

As for my initial days - I slept in my bed, with lots of pillows for support. I was in good shape prior to surgery which helped a lot. It took me over a month before I could sleep on my side, either side. Maybe 6 weeks? I remember being thrilled to do that. I don't recall how long before I could pick something up off the floor - but that was also a thrilling moment. Maybe 2 weeks after I was home.

My nose also runs all the time - but I think that is since I started chemo. Well, actually, no, it started before the diagnosis - I think I have sinusitis according to my doctor - she mentioned they could do something for that but SOMETHING else has taken over as my priority these past 6 months.

ts wrote:

7"? Is that all? Mine goes from under breast around under my arm and up my back - close to 16" easily!

Then I guess I'd better not suggest a "wanna see my incision?" contest for risk of being laughed out of the room! :lol: Maybe yours needed to be that long to provide access to all the stuff that needed to be removed. Mine was done to take tissue samples and to get the lung unstuck from the chest wall, where it had been shoved by the pleural effusion. Actually I had a lot less pain than I had expected, and I was off the pain meds except OTC ibuprofen within a few days, but any twisting motion still hurt for a long time.

The weird pain - did it feel like your ribs were bruised, with no visual bruises?

Yes, and still does after 30 months, with a weird numb-yet-touchy sensation in the front — which I usually don't notice until the washcloth hits that section in the shower.

Ned