New to group

pixie

I am Pixie Williams from Richmond VA and have just found your website and so happy I did. It seems everyone I meet has breast cancer and no one with Lung Cancer. I was diagnosed the Lung Cancer in my left lung about 2 months ago and it has not been an easy experience. I have a mass that is about 7 cm and had also moved into one of my adrenaline glands. I have started chemo and have had my second treatment. I am not a candidate for surgery or radiation. I have a huge support group including family and friends. It is really scary as you don't know what is going to happen. I just don't want to die but do feel most of the time that I am going to be ok.

Hi, Pixie, welcome to LCSC! Tell us more about your type of lung cancer, the particular chemo agent(s) you're on, and how you're feeling. Any major problems with the side effects? As you browse through the forums here, be sure to read the profiles at the bottom of the various messages as well as the detailed posts in the My Story forum. Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Pixie and welcome to the group. Here many have walked in your shoes. And their are many survival stories to inspire you and give you HOPE. We are here for you with any questions you might have or just support. We get what you are going through. I hope your current treatments are successful. Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Sandra

Hi Pixie

It is great to hear that you have such support around you. You will also find members here very supportive as well as knowledgeable. We do know how you are feeling because we have been there. Most of us have found that after you start treatment the fear turns to fighting mode. Please keep posting and updating us on how your treatments are going.

Pixie, welcome to this group. It is really special getting info and sharing experiences with others who themselves or their loved ones have all had lung cancer. Many of us, certainly I, have had those mixed feelings you describe. For the most part I felt from the beginning that I would be o.k. and am very optomistic now that my cancer will stay in remission. Every once in awhile though the fear creeps in. I will say it happened more often in the earlier days after my dx.

Like Ned, I'd like to know more about your cancer and treatment. People here are really good about sharing experiences with various chemo regimes.

Good luck and stay in touch.

Judy in Key West

Hello and welcome, Pixie,

You have described a strong support system at home. That is so good to have, because it can bolster confidence.

You are "right on" with the idea of it being scary. It is, but mostly so in the beginning on first learning of the diagnosis.

As time passes, one can become involved in the treatments and keeping an eye on how to stay well during the regimen. Mostly, Pixie, it becomes so much more a part of what has been termed, the "new normal."

Although lung cancer doesn't get the attention needed (especially for the necessary research dollars) people telling more about their own diagnosis, may be the push for change.

Barbara

Welcome Pixie,

Yes it is scary at the beginning with so much to take in and learn. Learn as much as you can-- KNOWLEDGE is the key. I'm so glad you have a great support group in family/friends. No one can go it alone. Take it one day and one step at a time. There are many here who who are survivors or who have lived many years with lung cancer. It is often treated like a chronic disease, like in my case. You will fine someone here who has been there/done that so ask away. Stay with us and keep us posted. Hope this helps and prayers for the best.

Rich

Hello Pixie and welcome. It is so very scary when you are first diagnosed.The internet is a very valuble place for information on lung cancer but I would be very careful where you visit on the internet. Alot of the information is outdated or just plain wrong. There are also plenty of snake oil salesmen out there with their false promises. Please feel free to come here with your questions,there are so many here that have went thru what you are going thru now. And if you click on the links tab, that can even take you to a place called cancergrace where top lung cancer oncologists will answer your questions personally.

Welcome Pixie. Glad you found us. I too was refered to a support group that seemed all breast cancer. Fortunately eventually I found one for lung cancer and then this site which is great. Keep us posted.

Donna G

Welcome Pixie,

I know what you mean about being scary. I'm glad you found us. I feel like you that lung cancer is just a differant experience then other cancers. I wish I had found this site sooner. Lots of information and hope here.

Dana

Welcome Pixie, glad you found us.

Being diagnosed was scary for me, too. Glad you have good support and are receiving treatment. I still get scared sometimes after almost one year since dx, but most of the time I'm able to let go of that. I don't want to sabotage my life with fear and worry. I just do what I can to get better and hope for the best.

Please keep us updated!

Hugs,

Trayce

Welcome Pixie, glad you found us.

Being diagnosed was scary for me, too. Glad you have good support and are receiving treatment. I still get scared sometimes after almost one year since dx, but most of the time I'm able to let go of that. I don't want to sabotage my life with fear and worry. I just do what I can to get better and hope for the best.

Please keep us updated!

Hugs,

Trayce

Welcome Pixie-

Unfortunately, being scared is the norm especially at the beginning. Once you have a treatment plan in place, it does get better because you can get into fighting mode.

What chemos are you on???? I am on my five-line treatment and I have to say I have been blessed, I don't really get a lot of side effects. I hope the same for you.

I am so happy you have a great support system at home. Don't be afraid to ask for help - that was hard for me in the beginning - but if friends and family want to cook for you, drive you places or even come help clean, remember that its because they love you. I have had to learn to just say"thank you" and allow people to do for me!!!

Please keep posting and lets us know how you are. Any question is OK to ask, or just come here to vent - we have all been there, done that!!!

Hugs - Patti B.