UPDATE - FINALLY PROMISING NEWS!

Gene and I met with the oncologist yesterday. The results of his CT scan "are better". The cancer in has not spread anywhere in the chest or abdomin; his lymph nodes now look good; and the lung tumor has shrunk by a 1/3. This after just three doses of chemo (stopped because of brain lesion) and one week out from radiation. :D The area on the right side of his chest where they thought they felt something is completly clear on the scans and to the touch. It wasn't even in the line of radiation. They didn't check the brain lesion yet because it wasn't far enough out from the radiation BUT we are thrilled to finally have some positive news that things are moving in the right direction. I can't tell you what a change it has made in him, his outlook is about 100% better. :D He gets a 2 week break to finish recovering from the radiation and then we are back to chemo (once per week for three weeks; off a week; and then three more on). Now if we can just get him eating again. The esophigitis (SP?) is HORRIBLE! Round One in this fight goes to Gene!

In the worst of my esophagitis, I still ate ice cream. Will Gene?

It took 3 weeks after radiation ended before I wasn't afraid to swallow, but I did not have concurrent chemo - I think that may make it worse? I still have episodes of tightening in throat (?) that make me feel like I can't breathe, but eating is good again. I had my first popcorn of 2009 this weekend!

Thanks guys, he is still eating some...just very soft things and liquids. I'm becoming a pro at smoothies and yesterday he actually had some clam chowder for lunch and said it tasted great. Again, I'm sure you survivors understand but I'm amazed at what this has done for his outlook!

What GREAT news, Katy. We are al rooting for Gene (and you too)! My hubby became quite a pro at wonderful shakes. That kept me full and hydrated AND prevented weight loss as well. Unfortunately after the esophagus got straightened out, I still enjoyed those shakes to the point of a 'FEW' extra pounds I had to get rid of :? ! Clam chowder sounds darn good to me right now!

Tell Gene he's doing great and it sounds like he is on the upward swing!

Kasey

Awesome news! My Dad has had a horrible time with his swallowing - just horrible. His doc finally prescribed him some pain meds after all the remedies and magic mouthwashes didn't help. I hope your good news keeps coming in!!