Question and a little griping

kimblanchard

Hi friends,

Bill had chemo this past Tuesday and his oncologist switched him from Procrit shots to Aranesp shots. He said that they are the same and that the reason for the switch is due to Medicare. (???) They are given every 2 weeks instead of once a week. Anybody know about Aranesp?

As for the griping, the entire time we were there the doctor kept telling us how lucky Bill was to still be here! Honestly, what a downer! Not an encouragement but kind of "the clock is ticking" and I am always right in my prognoses....

Bill was upset for a couple of days but seems to have shaken it off. Still he brings it up as a worry from time to time. Any advice?

Thanks and blessings to you all,

Peg

Peg

I could not print what I think you should tell this doctor, it would not be fit for a public message board! Unfortunately most oncologists have very negative attitudes when it comes to lung cancer, like "you are going to die anyway" type of thing! I get so mad when I hear these remarks, how about some encouragement? I guess they all skipped that course in medical school. As my former oncologist told me last summer, "you may win some of the battles but you aren't going to win the war". That was the remark that sent me out the door to another doctor. None of us who have this disease along with our families are exactly naive, we have heard all the statistics but I don't think the medical profession has to keep drumming it into our heads at every chance they get. My advice would be to tell him honestly that you don't want to hear these types of remarks any longer, and that luck has nothing to do with it, medicine, a strong will and God outpace luck any day in my book.

Tell Bill to keep on hanging in there and ignore the ignorant. As my mother used to say "you can't hate the blind for being blind".

Bess B

I think I would tell him right then in front of your husband that luck has nothing to do with it. Tell him that he just doesn't know what love, faith and hope can do and until he does to keep his comments to himself. I'm extra sensitive to this kind of talk and thinking because it cost Johnny his live and left me alone.

It is time these people learn that there is more to life than science and they don''t know everything no matter how much they think they do.

I was also switched from Procrit to Aranesp. I thought the Procrit worked much better. I only had the Aranesp for 2 or 3 shots before I did not need it anymore but I pushed and pushed to get the Procrit back. As for the Onc. I think talking to him and letting him know you don't appreciate his comments is a good idea, if that does not work then I would consider getting another Onc. My prayers are with you.

David C

Peg,

Aranesp is cheaper and only given every two weeks, instead of weekly. I had two shots prior to my surgery to boost RBC and platelets.

Tell your onc who is "never wrong about his prognosis," that "I guess this proves that you aren't God, because only God knows the day, the min., the sec., of our passing." Chalk another one up for God!

Cheryl

Peg,

I was given Aranesp, and it seems to work okay. Never had Procrit, so can't comment on it. As far as the Onc's comments go, tell him exactly what you have told us, and if he doesn't see your point-and offer you and Bill an apology- then hopefully you can find someone to replace him. His attitude needs some serious readjustment.

I am sorry you two have had to deal with this from someone who really should know better.

My husband's oncologist was alays very positive and upbeat and never once came out with a prognosis. He just kept trying and refused to give up. However, his primary care doctor was another matter. She did talk a lot about hospice and we needed to call the family in, etc. I did have to speak with her in the hall on one occasion and call her office on another occasion to let her know we wanted only positive comments around Doug and that we would appreciate it if she would refrain from any negative comments while in the same room with him. I told her it was okay to talk to me and the family about what she thought we should do, but not to Doug. Only hope and prayer and positive thinking can get a patient through this and only God knows when they have had enough and are ready to go. Please ask your doctor not to talk about negative aspects around your husband and if he continues to do so, find another doctor.

Dear Peg & Bill,

Please know that we are all rootin' for you and that ......dr. should know alot better than to speak the way he did. IGNORE THOSE COMMENTS, chalk it up to his failing the course on compassion in school. If he continues talking that way, FIRE HIM.

Bill is a terrific fighter, and no one should knock him. No one. Please tell him i'm in his corner. Keep Fightin!!!!

Joanie

Peg,

I only have experience with the Procrit. Sorry I can't help you with that. I do know of several people that have been given the other med and are doing very well with it. As far as your doctor, I would have a talk with him out of Bill's presence. Bill is doing very good with his chemo treatments and this doctor has no business making a statement like that. If the doctor can't be positive with his comments, then he needn't say anything at all. God is our #1 physician and this doctor is only administering the needed meds. This doctor can't say how long anyone has. Only our Lord, Jesus knows that... Tell Bill to hang in there and we are all praying for him. You are all in my prayers...

God Bless

Karen

Hi Peg- I to have to get shots everyday for 10 days after chemo as my counts drop very low. The nurse at the out patients dept. was telling me the other day that a fifth of a teaspoon of procrit costs close to $400.00. for each shot. They call it liquid gold there.They switched me tp Lycune i think thats how it is spelled. They said it is cheaper to use and Medicare is cutting back on the Meds that we need..Nurse told me it works just as well but it does take more shots to accomplish the same effect. Don.t make sense sometimes but i guess we have no choice. It is such a pain to have to go everyday for a shot. On and on it goes the drug co. are making tons of money. As for the comments made by that insensitive doc. I would have said where would your practice be if you didn"t have us as patients. I had a doc like that never had any thing positive to say always a downer but she was good in her field so i just ignored the comment as hard as it is some times. Tell Bill don't let it get to hi. You both take care and be well. Carlton

Peg,

Maybe the doctor needs some educatin' - MAYBE, the doctor thinks that by saying the patient has survived longer than he "should have" is a POSITIVE thing... Maybe a word with the doctor will keep the "amazement" tempered...

Just a thought...

...and congrats on being that "one person"!

Becky