New

Quilter

Good luck!  I'm confident all will go well and you'll be back on your feet and feeling better in no time flat.

Post as soon as you feel up to it and let us know how everything went.  And remember to do your breathing exercises!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surgery is tomorrow...anxiously waiting to "git 'er done".  Thank you to all for your posts which mde this journey easier.  I felt more knowledgeable and ready for my doc appt.  Will post my results...thanks aga

If they gave you before-surgery exercises, do that too.  I was specifically talking about the after-surgery exercises (spirometer and a cappella).  It's kind of hard to do them because they make you cough, but in this case coughing is good--it helps clear your lungs and will help with your recovery.

Surgery ws yesterday...much pain from chest tube...tried percoset..made me CRAZY.  Next tramadol? And a muscles relaxer ..not much better but finally got a couple hours of sleep.  Giving vicadin a try today a little relief...

Now a small air leak in lung going home tomorrow.  Sounds like pain won't lesson till tube is out...anyone else experience this?

I had an air leak--all things considered I would have rather had them leave in the tube.  Without it, I swelled up from my chest to the middle of my face until they put another one in to deflate me.

Even with the chest tube, it should get a little bit better over the next few days, but you probably won't feel a LOT better till it's out.  Just try to stay ahead of the pain.  It will hurt for at least a few days but should improve.

I had an air leak and went home the day after surgery with a chest tube, which I had for about 10 days.  The chest tube caused pain, but not as severe as yours sounds. It caused  stabbing pain when I moved in certain ways and within a couple of days I learned how NOT to move in those ways.. That helped. I was takimg opiates during the time the tube was in. Once it was out, I had little pain and controlled it with ibuprofen and tylenol, alternating.  Everybody's surgical pain is different, but I bet yours will be much less once the darned tube is out. Most people having VATS lobectomies don't have a tube as long as  I did. Hang in there!

FSurgery ws yesterday...much pain from chest tube...tried percoset..made me CRAZY.  Next tramadol? And a muscles relaxer ..not much better but finally got a couple hours of sleep.  Giving vicadin a try today a little relief...

Now a small air leak in lung going home tomorrow. 

Back to doc today....still air leak so still have chest tube.  Back next Tuesday

Labs show NO cancer so i'm ok with the tube for a bit more!

So does that mean your biopsy was negative?! If so, great! Those tubes are a nuisance for sure, besides being uncomfortable. I'm sure you'll feel much better when it's out. If they take it out too soon, you could inflate like LexieCat did. 

Quilter,
just saw that you had your surgery and that it was negative for cancer. What wonderful news!!

Congrats and here's to a speedy recovery!!

Ro

I am 53 with a 1.4 cm nodule in right lung just diagnosed with a carcinoma. Have 4 other spots very small with largest being 4mm.  Waiting to hear from doctor. Nurses were unable to obtain an I.V. for needle biopsy so I had it done with just freezing. Been concerned about pain following surgery since biopsy was so painful. Thks for talking so openly. 

Hi Seventhson!

My nodule was about the size of but only had the one.  Did you have a pet scan?  Is surgery scheduled?

I had a segment of my left upper lung removed (much larger than a wedge but not the entire lobe) last Fridy.  Decided on the segment because I have COPD.  I came home on Sunday.  I had to come with chest tube still in.  Most of my pain is from the chest tube.  Not everyone comes home with tube in.  My pain js controlled with medication.  

Hi Seventhson!

My nodule was about the size of but only had the one.  Did you have a pet scan?  Is surgery scheduled?

I had a segment of my left upper lung removed (much larger than a wedge but not the entire lobe) last Fridy.  Decided on the segment because I have COPD.  I came home on Sunday.  I had to come with chest tube still in.  Most of my pain is from the chest tube.  Not everyone comes home with tube in.  My pain js controlled with medication.  

Saw the surgeon today....specifically mentioning the good lab reports.  23 lymph notes checked and all were clear of cancer.  Only bummer is i still have chest tube in.

42 minutes ago, Quilter said:

Hi Seventhson!

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I spoke with the referral office today to confirm they did receive the request. The secretary said I should hear in a couple days. She was not sure if I would be given a date for surgery or a date for consult first. I have pain ( not severe) in my chest and under left arm. Mine is a carcinoid so I read they can cause many different effects on the body. Seems small to be causing all this . They say all tests are good but cause of the pains I am worried it has spread.  I did have a p e t scan and it showed only very low grade uptake in nodule itself. Report states due to these findings they are somewhat encouraged. 

Glad you are home. Hope you soon loose the chest tube and all is well. Sounds like you are On the mend. Hope it goes well. 

Hi Quilter!

I am so happy to hear that your surgery was a success.  I am sure your happiness can only provide so much patience for the darn chest tube! But, it will be over soon.  My mom had her chest tube out too soon and had to have it reinserted.  It was the worst of all of the cancer things she has dealt with, the pain was excruciating.  

In regard to your question about where/how to post so it can be beneficial to others, I have a couple of suggestions.  

1. You can add "tags" to this post like "lobectomy", "chest tube" etc...  To add tags, look under the title of your post, there should be an "+add tag" button. Click it and add any tags that you want, separate them by commas.  This way someone who is searching for specific information can find your post.  If you have trouble adding tags, I can do it for you, just let me know what tags you would like to add.

2. You can also/in-conjunction to tags, write a new post, listing an overall summary of your lung cancer experience thus far.  Be sure to post it in the most relevant discussion boards.  You can also tag this post as well.

Those are my 2 suggestions, I've done both of them and have gotten good feedback from both.

Take Care,

Steff

Archived