Pet scan

Sharon k

Given pet scan results today cancer remains only in lung no further movement still waiting for rigid bronchoscopy for biopsy on tumour this is good NEWS!?OR presuming to much to soonx

Sharon,

Yes, very good news. It means our most effective lung cancer treatment -- surgery -- is still possible. It also means you'll Stage at III or lower.  Here is some information on lung cancer staging.

Stay the course.

Tom

Great news--you'll know more after your bronchoscopy/biopsy, but I know that even though I was sure my nodule was cancerous, I was extremely relieved to have a PET CT where the nodule was the only thing that lit up.  That should make everything less complicated.

The hospital have just phoned to say I need a cat scan on my head as it's better results than with a pet scan?don't they see with brain with.pet scan now I'm paranoid  thinking they are not telling me things,they have brought rigid bronchoscopy forward to the 1/2/19 does this sound scary to you s?

It’s all part of the scan-a-mania assessment processs.  I had a brain MRI the same week as my PET. It’s a baseline assessment that will be used to evaluate for Mets & future comparison. You’ve got this! 

PET scans "light up" parts of the body that are using a lot of glucose.  Tumors work overtime, so they typically are consuming a lot more glucose than the surrounding tissues, which makes them easy to see.  But some parts of the body NATURALLY take up a lot of glucose--that includes the brain, as well as few other organs.  So they use a different imaging method to look for any possible metastasis in the brain.

As the others have said, this is pretty routine.  I didn't have one because my nodule was so small, there wasn't--at that point--any concern about the possibility of spread to the brain.   Bottom line--the fact that it's being ordered doesn't mean a thing, except that they are being thorough.

The amount of testing necessary to get the right diagnosis is dizzying. I had a chest xray, chest CT scan, CT guided needle biopsy, whole body PET scan and a brain MRI within 4 wks. My oncologist said that lung cancer spreads to the liver and brain easily, so that's why they need the PET scan (to look at the rest of the body & liver) and the brain MRI. I had additional tests to be declared "fit for surgery" in addition to those mentioned above also in the 4 weeks. So like LexieCat said, it sounds like they are being thorough. 

Archived