Right Lung Lobectomy, lower section

Vicsue

I had a Lobectomy done Sept. 30th and had alot of problems and I am wondering if this is normal .  My doctors do not seem to answer me about this.    I could barely breathe when  I had the surgery, I was on 4 ltrs of oxygen and when I just got up to go to the bathroom I was breathing so heavy I could barely keep my breath.   I am home now but still at 2 ltrs oxygen .  I can go off it if I am not doing any strenuous but not if I am walking alot of bending and stretching.    I am scared I will be on oxygen the rest of my life since my Doctors seem shocked that I have needed it to begin with.

thanks,

Vickie

Have you got the results of your post op Cat scan? Did you have underlying problems?

I had the same surgery in Jan. I am not on oxygen and can get around fine but I still get way more breathless now than before the surgery but I am blaming adjunctive radiation treatment after Surgery.

Give as much detail on you prognosis, history and treatment plan. Many on this board have had the exact same surgery as we had and I expect they will respond soon enough.

Peace

Tom

Hi Vickie and Welcome. I'm sorry to hear that your having problems after your lobectomy. I had a right lower lobectomy 4 years ago and did not need any oxygen afterwards, and I didn't have any shortness of breath. My surgeon told me that I probably wouldon't notice any differences in my breathing after surgery unless I was planning to run a marathon. No marathon-- I couldn't run a block before or after surgery! And he was right. My right lund sometimes sounds a little noisy to me, but otherwise no change.

Have you considered getting a second opinion, maybe from a pulmonologist?  keep us posted and let us know how we can support you.

Bridget O

thank you Tom and Bridget for your responses.

I did smoke right up until the surgery and the surgeon blamed it on that.   right after surgery I was having problems with breathing, feeling like I had a flu, etc.    they first told me I had pneumonia but then the next day said , No it wasn't pneumonia.  They did a post op Cat scan said they couldn't find anything but water on my lungs.  Gave me Latix, water pill, it did take the water away.  I was in the hospital for 8 days.   its been 5 weeks now and today I walked outside without my oxygen but felt very short of breath .  I feel like I have bronchitis .   Prior to the surgery other than Cancer , stage one, non small cell , there were no problems.  I am so afraid I will be on oxygen for the rest of my life and that will definitely lose alot of freedom I have now.   

I think maybe I should go to another pulmonologist .  My surgeon wasn't very helpful at the time of surgery about the shortness of breath.

I guess no one has an answer right now but it is so depressing.

thank you,

Vickie

Yes--this is definitely an issue for a pulmonologist. Are you doing your breathing exercises? It's tough to do them at first, but they really do help in terms of restoring your breathing capacity. 

I'd also hazard a guess that some of what you're experiencing has to do with quitting smoking--anytime I ever quit I had coughing and difficulty adjusting at first. Not that you should resume smoking! Those effects will pass with time. 

FWIW, I had an upper left lobectomy three years ago and noticed almost no effects on my breathing after the first couple of months.

Vicsue,

I'm with Bridget and Lexie on this.  Get a second opinion (it can't hurt anything) and the breathing exercises are super helpful.  Hard at first and even uncomfortable, but worth it.  Using a spirometer as well can be a real help as well as keeping up the activity.  The first time I walked around the ward after surgery I thought I wasn't going to make it, but my capacity increased over time and yours can to.  But a second opinion could help you insure you are following the best advice to restore breathing.  Stay strong.

Lou

My best advice? Take it day to day. I am not real happy with my progress....I really thought I would feel much better by now.

We are dealt a hand....all we can do is play the hand we are dealt.

Peace

Tom

Hi,

thanks for the responses.  I have been doing much better, still short of breath but hardly use my oxygen at all now, YAY... thank you Jesus.   I didn't get any breathing excerises when I was sent home except my spirometer.   Is there somewhere on line I could find some to use daily?

thanks,

forgot to mention that I did take your advice and I have an appointment with a very well know Pulmonologist in Jan.   he didn't have anything closer. 

This was the other device they gave me after surgery (in addition to the spirometer): https://www.vitalitymedical.com/acapella-vibratory-pep-mucus-removal-therapy-valve-smiths-medical.html. If you do a search online you can find some breathing exercises. I'd hesitate to say what's right for someone else--is there a contact you were given after surgery for any problems that come up? If so, I'd suggest reaching out to that person and see if they can connect you with some info on appropriate breathing exercises. Keep using the spirometer, too.

Archived