Upcoming lobectomy

Patrick Star

Patrick,

Yes, that was unexpected.  But, there are people here who have also had a full lung removal (pneumonectomy) and are doing well.  You'll be hearing from them soon.  It's a good sign to hear that you got out of ICU earlier than expected.  I'm praying for good things for you.  Please keep us updated as events unfold.

Lou

Patrick,

I'm one of those folks who had a complete pneumonectomy of my right lung. That was in 2004 and I'm doing quite well. Glad to learn you are out of the ICU.  Do follow the instructions of the respiratory therapist in using the spirometer and cooperate with physician therapy and lap the ward in earnest. 

Stay the course.

Tom

Ok it’s now Monday night and I’m doing very good. My doc insisted on a BM before release and I got that accomplished this evening thanks to a suppository. So I’m 99% sure I’ll be getting to go home tomorrow! This whole experience has been shocking. From the shock of learning that they took the whole right lung, getting out of ICU so quickly to going home so soon. I’ve got to say that I’m truly blessed. Had people all over the country, in Haiti and Africa praying for me. Sorry it took me so long to write more but that pain pump stuff had my brain scrambled. Now I’m just on Norco every 4 hours as needed. I don’t get out of breath or as tired as I thought I would so I’m considering myself lucky. Well I’ll try to write more tomorrow. 

Hi Patrick, I'm glad to hear you're doing so well. I can only imagine how shocking this all is to you! I'm amazed you're able to write so lucidly.  Was ita relief to get off the brain scrambling pain pump. I needed one of those for nearly a week after a non-lung surgery and boy was I scrambled.  I didn't find it fun at all. Boy, I'd never be a junkie. I guess that sometimes we need serious pain relief and I'm glad it's available. 

Keep doing well!

Bridget O

Glad to hear you're doing so well, Patrick! I'm a big believer that the better shape you're in otherwise when you're diagnosed, the better. It may not necessarily make you more cancer-resistant, but it sure helps you bounce back from/withstand the treatments. 

Keep on keepin' on!

Archived