Recurrence 1

Quilter

2018 had section of left lung robotically removed. my annual ct showed .6 nodule on my right lung.  Had a pet scan on Wednesday.   Can anyone tell me if this means the original nodule has metastasized to my RIGHT lung.

Not a doctor but my guess would be yes....it has metastasized.  This assumes, of course, that the new nodule is malignant. Very possible it is not malignant.

Peace

Tom

Oh, sorry about that--for some reason I was thinking you were NSCLC. I'm not sure whether that makes a difference in terms of evaluating the nodule. The PET scan will provide more info.

Be sure and ask your doctor what kind of cancer you have. The reason I asked is that small cell is much more rare, particularly aggressive, and very seldom treated with surgery. Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is far more common, with the most common being adenocarcinoma. There are a few other types of NSCLC.

Usually the type of lung cancer is identified during biopsy, but since you had surgery, the type should be indicated in the pathology results of the tumor that was removed.

Yay! Not that anyone's happy to have lung cancer of any type, but adenocarcinoma is MUCH more treatable than small-cell. 

This, you can get a handle on, and a treatment plan, even if it does represent a recurrence or metastasis.

There are A LOT of people on this site (and other sites) that have survived YEARS and they've had recurrences, mets, etc.  They are a source of inspiration and hope to me and I hope they will be to you as well.  Try to keep your chin up and please keep us posted as to how you are doing.  

Quilter,

This group if full of (IMO) heroes who have survived many things and you can too.  Let's wait for your Pet scan results and the report from your doctor.  Please keep us updated.

Lou

OK, so my question is what did it show? Apparently cancer somewhere, but were there distant places that lit up on the scan? Did he give you an estimate of what stage?

OK, so still confined to chest. That's a good thing. Before the other lymph nodes lit up (and the sacrum), and we THOUGHT I just had a cancerous nodule in my lung, my doctor was saying I might be a candidate for Cyberknife (precision radiation) in lieu of surgery again. It might be worth looking into, if you had surgery before. I imagine you'll probably be on some kind of chemo or immunotherapy.

Hang in there, and keep us posted.

You might want to start a new thread in the NSCLC section, just so people aren't confused when they see this posted in SCLC (which has a MUCH different outlook).

Oh, and if you haven't already, ask about testing for biomarkers. You might be eligible for some sort of targeted therapy, depending on whether you have any targetable mutations.

No chemo last time...just section of lung removed...there was some mention of cyber knife being a possibility. I will ask about biomarkers.  Thanks for your advice

How do I start new thread?

Archived