Arthritis?

G.A.M.

At the end of chemo, my left hand began to hurt. Then my right hip, left elbow and right hand. It's progressed to the point that my left hand is useless. Is it a result of chemo, in anyone's experience?

Best,

Glenn

I dunno, Glenn, but I'm having terrible leg/hip pain this past week or so. I've been thinking it might be due to the Zometa I get once every three months with my infusion. It's for my one bone met (as well as my osteoporosis). 

I do have arthritis in my other hip, but the medication (meloxicam) that I take for that doesn't seem to help this. 

My oncology NP recommended I see my PCP for this. The PCP is ordering an MRI, which hopefully will show what's going on.

Have you brought this up with your doctors? I'm not trying to be scary/ominous--we are at that age for plain ol' arthritis--but my mom had elbow pain for months and months that ultimately proved to be a met to her spine (breast cancer). So that sort of thing is always in the back of my mind, too.

How ya doing GAM?

Every joint in my body hurts now. Once I warm up a bit and move around it gets better. This includes my finger joints as well. Did not have this pre treatment 

Planning on discussing with my Onc on the 16th. I'll pass along whatever he shares.

Peace

Tom

• 1 month later...

Kinda late on this topic but for what it's worth, I was warned that Keytruda can exacerbate arthritis (in fact any itis). I had arthritis for years before my diagnosis and I had a single knee replacement while on  therapy. I have noticed that my arthritis has gotten worse (mostly hands and wrist) after Keyturda; but then again I'm older (yay!!!) so that could also be the cause. Voltaren is good - my hubby picked it up for himself a few years ago in Italy and we love it. Another thing I'm just trying is Nature's Bounty Hemp+ for joint pain. That seems to also be pretty good. I've thought about seeing a rheumatologist but that's a door I don't think I want to open now.

To my knowledge, Keytruda might affect rheumatoid arthritis, since it's an autoimmune disease. I have osteoarthritis, which is just a matter of old, worn-out joints, and I don't think Keytruda affects that. 

I've been going for physical therapy the past few weeks, and that seems to be helping.

Hello, @BridgetO.

I'm doing fine. I see my Oncologist in a week. I hope I am still doing fine. 

I've been treating the joint pain with plain old extra-strength Tylenol and that has helped immensely.

How are you doing?

Best,
Glenn

Archived