"Prehab" Before Surgery or Treatment

Judy M2

I just heard that term for the first time recently--from my physical therapist--in the context of prepping for my upcoming trial. I need to get my body moving on that treadmill!

Oh yeah, this is such a new concept that even the physical therapists don’t really know about it.  My “pandemic present” from my doctor is a course of prehab to help regain lost strength & flexibility as a result of being at home for over a year.  My last scans looked good so doc wrote the order only to have the PT team say I was rejected from their program because of my lung cancer!  I had a total fit & sicked my doctor on them.  Now first appointment is June 1st.  Will let you know how it goes!  

On 5/14/2021 at 9:26 AM, Rower Michelle said:

Oh yeah, this is such a new concept that even the physical therapists don’t really know about it.  My “pandemic present” from my doctor is a course of prehab to help regain lost strength & flexibility as a result of being at home for over a year.  My last scans looked good so doc wrote the order only to have the PT team say I was rejected from their program because of my lung cancer!  I had a total fit & sicked my doctor on them.  Now first appointment is June 1st.  Will let you know how it goes!  

Please keep us informed. I am thinking PT would be a really good thing for me. I have plateaued at a much lower level than I expected and unfortunately live on the side of a hill. Really need to walk on a nice flat area or I'm not going to do it. 

My high HR still has me spooked..as does the PE I had late last fall.

I gotta do something.

Peace

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I did something like this prior to my lobectomy.  I improved my diet, increased my daily distance and weight workouts and frankly it got me into pretty good shape.  I do believe it is one of the things that helped me to recover as quickly as I did.

Lou

Archived